Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inherited Tesla- need advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In 2017 vroom.com gave me the best price, by a large margin, of all the typical reseller outfits (CarMax, Carvana, Autonation etc...) It was a simple process that required a handful of pictures emailed to them. They emailed an offer, I accepted and they picked up the car.

Demundus, it is abundantly clear I am behind the learning curve here. I am indeed determined to do the best job as Trustee that I can. That doesn't mean I have to wring every last possible dollar out of this car, but the wholesale value I could expect to get from CarMax is too far in the other direction for me to consider willingly. I'm looking for something in the middle, and I'm hoping the information generously offered by this community will help me get there.

So far I've managed to distribute or donate Dad's other belongings. The money part is under control, thanks to his prior planning and organization. That just leaves the car to manage, and as I said, I do have the help of local family.

Bottom line: after 55 years of trying to make my dad proud, I am still trying to do my best for him. Just wish I could pick up the phone and ask him how.

Demundus, it is abundantly clear I am behind the learning curve here. I am indeed determined to do the best job as Trustee that I can. That doesn't mean I have to wring every last possible dollar out of this car, but the wholesale value I could expect to get from CarMax is too far in the other direction for me to consider willingly. I'm looking for something in the middle, and I'm hoping the information generously offered by this community will help me get there.

So far I've managed to distribute or donate Dad's other belongings. The money part is under control, thanks to his prior planning and organization. That just leaves the car to manage, and as I said, I do have the help of local family.

Bottom line: after 55 years of trying to make my dad proud, I am still trying to do my best for him. Just wish I could pick up the phone and ask him how.

Makes sense. I'd suggest doing the following:

1.) Get the local family to take like 40ish pictures of all angles, inside, powered up, etc
2.) Find any service records and your dads purchase contract if you can
3.) Get the window sticker (you did) and take a picture of it
4.) List the car here, for the price you're looking for, as others have shown you the forum now
5.) If you don't get hits here, expand to the private listing sites like AutoTrader/KBB/Edmunds/Craigslist etc;
6.) If you dont get hits there, work with Carvana and Vroom to try to get it consigned
7.) Carmax it

You're going to need full support of whomever has the car now to show it to prospective buyers, this will be the ultimate headache, as you're playing long distance 3rd person telephone. I suggest listing it on one site at a time and seeing what you get, or you'll drown in tirekickers and joyriders. If this car gets scratched you're doomed. Its not an uncommon situation though, so buyers who are fully informed should have no problem. Your price is a little high, as I said before. Low mileage is a plus, AP1 car is a minus for some, Front facia is a plus, 60kwh battery is a minus (but can be made a plus with some work and money to tesla). Good luck :)

I live in Oceanside, happy to help.

Last edited:

These words could not resonate more... There are soooooo many things that I wish I could just call my dad about to get his thoughts on, but I can't anymore, things that he would've been the perfect person to solve.

Sorry if I missed it in a past post, did you run the car specs through Kelley Blue Book to get an estimate? - I've heard good and bad things with that.
I sold one of my older cars to the Autonation chain and got a fair deal with them, that's another alternative to Carmax, but in general dealers get weary of Tesla because of it being so new. Private may be your best bet, but it's a waiting game with that.

Wow, demundus, you're right next door... to the car, of course, not to me. Thanks for your detailed list.

I did just get an offer of $41,000 from Vroom. Have to say the idea of their going to the house to pick it up, overnighting the necessary paperwork to me, and having it all DONE is a vast temptation. I will probably consult with my sisters and get their input. They (and I) might be influenced by the insurance bill for the car that came today. Big difference between insuring the Tesla and my Highlander.

And BIG ACH, I hear you. It's tough.

Wow, demundus, you're right next door... to the car, of course, not to me. Thanks for your detailed list.

I did just get an offer of $41,000 from Vroom. Have to say the idea of their going to the house to pick it up, overnighting the necessary paperwork to me, and having it all DONE is a vast temptation. I will probably consult with my sisters and get their input. They (and I) might be influenced by the insurance bill for the car that came today. Big difference between insuring the Tesla and my Highlander.

And BIG ACH, I hear you. It's tough.

That, alone, is the worst part of owning one.

I do have a couple more questions I hope someone can help me with: do all these cars come with air conditioning? I didn't see it mentioned specifically on the sticker, but it's hard to imagine it wouldn't. Also, for tax credits (federal and/or California), are those available for used Teslas, or only new?

Thanks again.
Yes all Tesla’s have full Climate Control including Air Conditioning.

OK there's plenty I don't know about this car. Understatement. I never heard of unlocking the battery, but I think I understand what you're saying. Makes good business sense, no doubt, but the logistics are more than I can take on right now. Don't know if it has the front fascia but perhaps you can tell from this picture of the car in lonely splendor, where Dad kept it in the basement garage of the retirement community where he lived. He was the only one with an electric car and so got to enjoy the spot by the outlet.
View attachment 380211

It's red (obviously) and has never had a carpool sticker of any color; Dad was retired before he bought this car and never took it very far from his home.

I have the manufacturer's sticker and can add that in the For Sale section later today with a couple other pictures.

Condolences on the passing of your dad. Also sorry to hear we lost a Tesla family member and a TMC member as well. If your comfortable sharing his user name, I'm sure people here who knew your dad through his user name would appreciate knowing he had passed. Your dad's car looks fabulous, nice color combo with the red and tan and looks like he took great care of it. I'd definitely list it as garage kept. If you can unlock the battery to a 75 I think that will make it more desirable too. Being a 2016 he should still have a year of the original 4 year warranty on it. Do you know if he took out an extended warranty (additional 4) or had any maintenance plans on it?

There are definitely people who look for a solid roof and prefer it over a pano roof or glass roof and you may know that Tesla doesn't make cars right now with solid roofs (the Model 3 Standard range when it comes out may but that's still speculation). The fact that the car was never stickered for HOV is a big resale thing here in California. People who want to be in a Tesla but have lower budgets would love to find a used one and still be apply for this year's lavendar HOV stickers as solo drivers (they expire 1/1/23).

The fact the car had Supercharging will also be a big plus for someone who needs to travel alot as it should stay with the car. The refreshed front, another positive.

My dad passed away a few years ago and left me his fairly new car. Wish it would have been a Tesla but it wasn't and I really wanted one so had my mom sell it back to the dealership and had her keep the money. They turned around and listed it for a couple thousand more which would have been nice to get but Iiving across country it was going to be inconvenient to sell and I didn't want my mother to try selling it on her end. I have also seen posts from people on here who were pleased with listing with Vroom. I would see if you can get a few more photos of the car and list on TMC as well. We have a lot of Calif members who might be interested in it and actually members who would probably fly out to buy it and drive it home.

At some point you should look into how to transfer the car thru Tesla to a new owner so the new owner can set up an Tesla account and use the app for it on their phone. Hope to hear that you guys are able to find a good home for your dad's car.

BTW do you know if you dad ever got a rebate from his local utility company. I don't know for sure but if it was never applied for I think used EV cars can also qualify for that. Something a potential buyer might want to check. Rebates here in northern California through PG&E service are now $800.

You might want to give it a few weeks listing it here for example before committing to a reseller like Vroom. Getting a car with all that it has going for it and was kept so well, you could find a private buyer and get closer to what you'd like it sold for. I think your dad would be happy that you are handling this as you are since it was clearly another one of his babies too.

Last edited:
First, I'm sorry for your loss.

That's a beautiful Model S with very low miles! As others have said, unlocking the battery would be ideal to get some more value for the car. Having been through the situation you are in now, I can understand the desire to take the Vroom option, but perhaps posting for sale here will get you a bit more and give a Tesla fan the opportunity to buy a low mile Model S.

Also in Oceanside if your sister needs help understanding anything about the car.

I've decided against the Vroom option for now- it can be my fallback position if needed. Demundus made a great point about trying one place at a time. My family's going to start by offering it on their neighborhood marketplace for $52,000. I've passed along the info you all have helped provide about the car, including the lack of previous carpool stickers, which I wouldn't have known to highlight. Next the sale section here, and then I can try one or more of the other sites mentioned, including OnlyUsedTesla.com. The car is safe where it is and I have some time to work with these various options.

As for my dad, I'm sorry, I don't know his user name. This forum came up on his computer when I got to California, and I tried posting a message in the Model S part of the Forum so you would know that he has died. But whether I even got that message onto the forum, I'm not sure: I was walking around in shock that whole week, doing my best to hold it together and manage the business at hand. His real name was Gordon and he was a retired airline pilot, if that helps you. Wouldn't be surprised if there was something about airplanes in his user name. Is there a main Tesla number to call to shift his warranty, if there is one, to the new owner?

Smart decision. Someone will want that car with super low miles in perfect shape. $52 K seems about right. Make sure you also note it can be upgraded over the air by Tesla to a 75 for $2000. I also suggest Cars.com. My first Tesla sold in SD in 6 days thru that site.

The Tesla transfer process must be initiated by purchaser (with DMV registration), and then Tesla will contact your father’s email address for approval.

I agree with Buzz 52K is about right. Don't be overwhelmed by the fact that it's a Tesla, it's not that complicated, and most all information you need has been provided here, and any other questions you have will be answered. Most Tesla buyers already know a lot about these cars, so you won't need a tremendous amount of knowledge to sell the car. Lots of good pics will answer most questions. The car is still under warranty, 4 years bumper to bumper, and 8 years main battery and drive unit, from date of purchase. So I would list it on ALL, the sites mentioned, with all the information that has been mentioned, such as Ca. HOV stickers available, upgradable to 75KW, etc. I don't think it will be a hard sell. I am also in Oceanside area if you need help with the car. I also have a 2016 S 60.

Deepest condolences for your loss @GordonsGirl

Lots of great advice here. I took a run at a potential for ad text that would quickly get all the pertinent info mentioned across quickly to a knowledgeable Tesla purchaser in case this might help:

Immaculate 2016 Facelift Model S 60D, upgradeable to 75D, with incredibly low 6,175 local miles. Exterior is multi coat red with all-metal roof and 19” slipstream wheels. Interior has upgraded next-gen tan seats, dark ash wood and black Alancantra headliner. Always garaged. Never registered for HOV use and therefore eligible for new California passes until 2023. Selling privately to ensure the remaining year+ of bumper-to-bumper factory warranty and unlimited free supercharging are able to be transferred to the new owner.

Good luck with the sale and the rest of the estate considerations.

OK, after receiving more pictures from my family, I've posted the ad here: Red 2016 Model S for sale in SoCal, low miles, $52,000

I talked to the insurance guy, who was also a friend of my dad's, and it sounds like the logistics after step one should be pretty easy:
1. Find buyer
2. Have buyer wire money into the account
3. Give buyer signed bill of sale and get signed copy from him/her
4. Buyer takes car and both key fobs
5. I mail release of liability and death certificate to California DMV
6. I cancel insurance on car
7. I sign the title and mail it to new owner

And hopefully the new owner will baby this car the way my dad always did.

Anything I'm forgetting?