Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inside Temperature

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would love to see actual cabin temperature and humidity reading in the car, as well as indicators for the AC and cabin and battery heaters state, but am afraid that Tesla is moving in the opposite direction simplifying the user interface and removing "superfluous" items to the chagrin of all interested in knowing more about their car.

It is not clear how accurate or up to date the reading is in the app. When the car sleeps it does not get refreshed or displayed until turning on the climate control.

Reactions: Mayhemm
That's an awful lot of stuff, vdiv. Probing your statement: knowing internal temperature of the vehicle is demonstrably important when one is away from it - thus it's great to be able to determine that from the App.

But when you're inside it, it's a mystery to me as to why you need the datum. Why? Are you too warm? Cool it down. Are you too cool? Warm it up. Do you need a thermometer to tell you whether you are too warm or too cool? That reminds me of our indomitable local Tribal Elder and another of his pithy sayings: "White man crazy. Looks at watch to learn if hungry."

About humidity: of what earthly purpose is knowing that? Are you going to apply a mister if the sensor tells you its lower than you'd like it to be? Or break out the desiccant if it's too moist?

There absolutely, definitely is a role for data. And there absolutely, definitely is a danger is too much of it.

That's an awful lot of stuff, vdiv. Probing your statement: knowing internal temperature of the vehicle is demonstrably important when one is away from it - thus it's great to be able to determine that from the App.

But when you're inside it, it's a mystery to me as to why you need the datum. Why? Are you too warm? Cool it down. Are you too cool? Warm it up. Do you need a thermometer to tell you whether you are too warm or too cool? That reminds me of our indomitable local Tribal Elder and another of his pithy sayings: "White man crazy. Looks at watch to learn if hungry."

About humidity: of what earthly purpose is knowing that? Are you going to apply a mister if the sensor tells you its lower than you'd like it to be? Or break out the desiccant if it's too moist?

There absolutely, definitely is a role for data. And there absolutely, definitely is a danger is too much of it.

Let me the owner, driver, and occupant of my car determine that. Why do people have indoor thermometers or the thermostat on their home HVAC shows them that info? Maybe I want to be able to control the cabin comfort manually with the fan/windows, maybe I am just curious how my settings are causing the system to operate. Humidity plays as important role in determining comfort as does the temperature, maybe more important in swampy climates.

I'm actually kind of surprised and a bit disappointed at your reaction to my comment. Is it too much to ask Tesla? Is it too much to express in a Tesla forum what I'd like to see in my Tesla?

You know what? While at it I'd like to see current and historic barometric pressure and altitude reading. Want to see air pollutants PPM inside and out so that I know if the "biodefense" HEPA filter is doing anything at all. Want to see GPS/Glonass satellite status. Want to see maps version/date. Want to see a proper power gauge divided into propulsion, HVAC, and others (the Leaf and now Volt have that). Want to see automated heated seats and steering wheel heater with PWM control for multiple heat levels. Want to see distance and energy units displayed together for the SOC/charging. Want to see departure time based charging.

Want to see Tesla and all EV people get along better as we're all in this together. Too much to ask for a Monday morning?

Yes, that is way too much to ask of Tesla: cabin humidity, current and past barometric pressure, current altitude, PPM of interior and exterior air pollutants, GPS/Glonass satellite status, maps version/date, and most of that other stuff you list.
Having been a product manager (not in the auto industry) I can tell you that controlling "feature creep" and prioritizing feature development priority based on market requirements is extremely challenging. I think you lack an appreciation of what is involved in designing, developing, building, and marketing a complex product.
Tesla is going to do almost none of the items you list, and yet they are going to sell hundreds of thousands of cars over the next few years and make a good profit doing so while advancing the company's mission. Good for them.

• Disagree
Yes, that is way too much to ask of Tesla

A run of the mill smart phone has the sensors and the software to show you these. The most absurd aspect is sticking it on the dashboard next to the giant 17" touch screen just to see that info. Hopefully Apple's CarPlay and Android Auto will be here soon so people no longer have to do that.

How about an optional true "Tech Package" to include better telemetry?

You expressed your opinion and I used it to express mine. Nothing more; nothing less - other than that also gives others the opportunity to consider both sides and make their own determination.

What I didn't do - and never would - is to say, either politely or rudely, that you are a _____ and a ______ and that your opinions and desires are _____ and ______. Rather, I gave concise reasons as to why I believe too much data is detrimental, and you gave me a platform to demonstrate same.

Now, there IS an important reason for vociferously stating my opinion, and that is to nudge TM towards my set of beliefs. First, a surfeit of sensors and a surfeit of code presents extra cost to the vehicle. Second, too many gewgaws, whether on-screen only or present in the cockpit, represents a shift away from Tesla's current spare look. I had the misfortune of being lent a Cadillac Escalade recently, and it's a useful exaggeration for me to say I felt a sense of accomplishment at figuring out where the steering wheel was - it's that cluttered. "Surfeit" and "too many" are, of course, representations of my stance and quite obviously not yours.

So, again: you can list your desiderata, and I can and will respond as per my own views, and, I hope, present cogent reasons for them.

A run of the mill smart phone has the sensors and the software to show you these. The most absurd aspect is sticking it on the dashboard next to the giant 17" touch screen just to see that info. Hopefully Apple's CarPlay and Android Auto will be here soon so people no longer have to do that.

How about an optional true "Tech Package" to include better telemetry?

I am with you. What you want seems perfectly acceptable, and ever understandable even for a Monday morning. I see no reason why Tesla can't give us a "Tech" screen setup option that lets a user quickly check off what they want to see and assign to a driver profile. I get in and I see stuff that I want to see, and my wife gets in and sees her stuff, which of course is linked to our individual key fobs. None of this is unreasonable in any way.

Oh, and why do I, or anyone, want to see the interior numeric temperature in the environment that I/they're in? Simple, we are our own feedback loops. If I feel hot but see that it is 70 degrees fahrenheit, I may start cooling down knowing this, but if I don't I might consider that I have a temperature. My kid said her room was hot the other night, but nope it was her. I had the data to realize that she needed an aspirin instead of turning on the air conditioner. Better data = better decisions.

Of course, I'd much prefer maps and navigation to be brought up to the standards of my phone prior to knowing the cabin temperature.

Or, shudder, Tesla could do both.

... and the key fob to driver profile syncing thing. It's 2016 right?

the inside temp is useful because i dont want to waste energy.. im good with anywhere from 60 - 78 degrees in my car but often need to defog when its colder out.. i would set the temp to whatever it is inside the car but i dont know what it is so im forced to waste energy and/or keep fiddling with the temp until i zero in on the current temp

I agree with gt2690b, I've been wanting to find a way to know the interior temp, wondering if there is tiny temperature gauge that I can buy from amazon or something and stick it some where near the dash.
i guess we could mount our phone somewhere with the app running

if someone could put VisibleTesla in the cloud (make it web based) that would be amazing

for now i just set it to 69 cause i figured Elon would approve

Last edited:
This is the main reason I want to see inside temperature on my model 3 screen. For now I just take a quick look at the app on my phone, but it'd be nice to see on the climate screen as well. I sent this suggestion to the Tesla black-hole of customer feedback...

the inside temp is useful because i dont want to waste energy.. im good with anywhere from 60 - 78 degrees in my car but often need to defog when its colder out.. i would set the temp to whatever it is inside the car but i dont know what it is so im forced to waste energy and/or keep fiddling with the temp until i zero in on the current temp