Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Install Schedule for tomorrow in SoCal - suggestions, guidance, wish me luck?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
your solar panels were installed in May and you still waiting on SCE to give you PTO?

yes, but this doesnt appear to be an sce issue afaictl. sce says turnaround 2-3 days. this has been partly me changing design, partly (supposedly) the city inspector dragging their feet, and partly Tesla dragging their feet on the paperwork (to sce). And once sce finally got it they turned around very quickly to tell me the paperwork was missing or wrong the inspector approved the wrong permit (the one prior to redesign) so tesla has to go back to the inspector and fix. Even though tesla sat on that approved inspection report for WEEKS they could've at least spent the time to review it accurately. I've tried to be the patient guy and not a Karen but I'm close to asking for a supervisor.

[QUOTE="SMAlset, post: 4925662, member: 58485"Did you get emailed to you the plans? If not call and ask.

I think at this point if he wants to see the plans he could just ask the installers, since they are at his house right now;)[/QUOTE]

True but he should have a copy for himself at some point. I was surprised to see 2 interior load centers on the 3-line drawing and then a NGOM/disconnect. I would think you’d want a final one after install and receipt of PTO. I know we’ll have a change in placement of 2 panels (count stays the same) and still waiting to hear from PG&E and Tesla on necessity of a NGOM/disconnect so anticipate our final filed plan to have some slight adjustments made to it.

Last edited:
Not the best, but it's a start!

Attachments

• IMG_20200819_105649.jpg
    IMG_20200819_105649.jpg
    404.4 KB · Views: 96
Reactions: SMAlset
wow... must be over 105 degress and they still working on the roof.

...and you cursed me! Haha

Just got a knock at the door... The leadalead profusely but tried to power through and just couldn't after my roof was hitting 139.5F !!!!

All mounting hardware was installed, so he's estimating about 4 hrs more needed during a second visit. As I was speaking with him I had scheduling already calling. They will be returning Friday @ 7am...

Not too worried, this actually gives me an opportunity to send drone up and get some feedback from all of you! Stay tuned.

On a side note, the guys damaged my Alumawood patio that was installed last month- doh! Lead was super apologetic, explained how it happened, and assured me he already reported it so it'll get taken care of.

Reactions: SoCal Dave
wow... must be over 105 degress and they still working on the roof.

I'm actually surprised they let the workers on the roof in SoCal (or anywhere inland California) today. OSHA guidelines ask employers to add 15 degrees to the outdoor reading when assessing the risk level of work in direct sunlight. 105 + 15 = 120 which puts the crew at OSHA "very high extreme" danger levels. Basically at this level rule #1 is to reschedule all non-essential work.

I'm complaining about stepping outside to let the dogs do their thing. I wouldn't want to be on top of a roof today.

Though I do remember working in Palm Springs attics during the summer when I was younger. Probably wasn't the safest thing to do in hindsight.

I'm complaining about stepping outside to let the dogs do their thing. I wouldn't want to be on top of a roof today.

Though I do remember working in Palm Springs attics during the summer when I was younger. Probably wasn't the safest thing to do in hindsight.

And don't forget the humidity! It's rough by California standards...

Here's a quick unedited drone video... excuse my aviation skills, or lack thereof, I am a relatively new mavic 2 pilot

I'll add a couple of photos later... I imagine the broken tiles will be replaced once install is completed on Friday. I was kinda upset to see that they left some parts of the roof exposed, but not sure what they could have done in the meantime. Plus, the forecast is clear

On a side note, does anyone have experience with something being damaged by the crew during install? They were a great bunch of guys and not trying to jam them up by any means, but my patio is literally 2 months old and there is a significant dent on the front fascia. Wondering how they are going to handle?

Last edited:
Reactions: SoCal Dave
Here's a quick unedited drone video...

Looks great so far:)

On a side note, does anyone have experience with something being damaged by the crew during install? They were a great bunch of guys and not trying to jam them up by any means, but my patio is literally 2 months old and there is a significant dent on the front fascia. Wondering how they are going to handle?

I sort of do. About a year and a half ago I was looking at going solar and I got a quote from Tesla as well as a few other companies. This was before Tesla did the whole streamlined cookie cutter approach, so they came out to my house to do a site survey before they provided a custom quote. While they were doing the survey they accidentally damaged my attic hatch cover.

They were quite apologetic about it and let me know that they would send someone out to fix it. It took a few weeks and several phone calls to remind them, but in the end they did have someone come out and replace the cover.

Our attic access (pull-down steps) has molding around it. Tesla managed to dislodge some of it going up and down. I really don't consider it their fault as it had gotten somewhat warped, but they really wanted to send somebody out to fix it. In the end (and in part because of the pandemic) we agreed it was not necessary (and the repair was just to sand a bit off the side so it didn't catch, and a couple of nails), but they were proactive about offering to fix it.

If Tesla wasn't aware of the damage or the installers didn't report it back to the office, I would suggest contacting them right away, to avoid any questions about the cause, and potentially also to ensure Tesla either addresses, or agrees to your satisfaction that they will address it, before making payments.

Our attic access (pull-down steps) has molding around it. Tesla managed to dislodge some of it going up and down. I really don't consider it their fault as it had gotten somewhat warped, but they really wanted to send somebody out to fix it. In the end (and in part because of the pandemic) we agreed it was not necessary (and the repair was just to sand a bit off the side so it didn't catch, and a couple of nails), but they were proactive about offering to fix it.

If Tesla wasn't aware of the damage or the installers didn't report it back to the office, I would suggest contacting them right away, to avoid any questions about the cause, and potentially also to ensure Tesla either addresses, or agrees to your satisfaction that they will address it, before making payments.

Thank you to the both of you, I will make sure it's addressed again on Friday. The lead assured me he had already reported the damage back to HQ

Because threads are worthless without pictures! Enjoy..! They are sending a different person tomorrow to replace all the broken tiles (35-ish)

Last photo is of my patio that was damaged - thoughts on what I should do? As mentioned before, it is only 2 months old!

As Promised:
- Aerial Video

DJI_0062.JPG
DJI_0083.JPG
DJI_0062.JPG
DJI_0083.JPG
DJI_0070.JPG
DJI_0072.JPG
DJI_0075.JPG
DJI_0069.JPG
DJI_0080.JPG
DJI_0066.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: SMAlset
Tesla layouts really suck. Why would anyone put those two lone panels instead of adding them to your main array on the backside. Looks like there is plenty of room. I regret not being more forceful with my layout changes.

I'm not seeing the damage. Was the photo included?

DJI_0050.JPG
I'm surprised the went so close to the valley. Did they have a roof mount in the red area?

View attachment 579250

Hopefully this photo helps you? So, as to WHY they did not add the two panels to the back array is beyond me. I'm a NOOB. I will tell you though the last column that only has two panels, a third could NOT be added due to the exhaust pipe/vent. I guess they could have added it to the first column (from the right) that has three to make three rows of four.

Tesla layouts really suck. Why would anyone put those two lone panels instead of adding them to your main array on the backside. Looks like there is plenty of room. I regret not being more forceful with my layout changes.

I'm not seeing the damage. Was the photo included?

Sorry, they were too big to upload initially. Should work now. (water bottle for scale)
DJI_0092.jpg

View attachment 579251

Hopefully this photo helps you? So, as to WHY they did not add the two panels to the back array is beyond me. I'm a NOOB. I will tell you though the last column that only has two panels, a third could NOT be added due to the exhaust pipe/vent. I guess they could have added it to the first column (from the right) that has three to make three rows of four.

Good, that roof mount looks a good distance away from your valley.

It looks like they could have added a couple in portrait if they shifted the array slightly. It just bothers me the number of roof sections Tesla seems to install on. At the end of the day it probably doesn't make a difference besides extra pipe being ran around the roof.

upload_2020-8-21_23-34-4.png

Congratulations.

Those tile roofs are really attractive. It's a shame to ruin the looks with those ugly solar panels. I would have had to forego the six panels on the front and just get by with the other 18 which I assume can't be seen from the street.

I'm not familiar with the tile. How did they break them, just walking around?