Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Install TPMS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got 4 Tesla wheels with tires on it with regular valve. Tires may have close to 600 miles. I wanted to install the Tesla TPMS bought from Tesla.

But no stores are ready to install TPMS. Anybody know anyone who can do it? I checked with Costco, Walmart and some other shops too.

...But no stores are ready to install TPMS...

Do you mean you don't want Tesla to do it and want a non-Tesla to do it?

I assume you already bought Tesla TPMS, so it should be easy for a generic store to do it because they can tell whether their programming TPMS stool is compatible with Tesla's (I don't see why not.)

Did you try Pepboys, Discount Tire & Service Centers?

If you don't have Tesla TPMS with you, tell them as long as they have Programmable Universal Single Frequency 433 MHz TPMS, that should work. Don't use the dual frequency that lots of stores have because they want to keep the cost down by stocking dual for both kinds of frequencies instead of 2 different kinds for 2 different frequencies.

Do you mean you don't want Tesla to do it and want a non-Tesla to do it?

I assume you already bought Tesla TPMS, so it should be easy for a generic store to do it because they can tell whether their programming TPMS stool is compatible with Tesla's (I don't see why not.)

Did you try Pepboys, Discount Tire & Service Centers?

If you don't have Tesla TPMS with you, tell them as long as they have Programmable Universal Single Frequency 433 MHz TPMS, that should work. Don't use the dual frequency that lots of stores have because they want to keep the cost down by stocking dual for both kinds of frequencies instead of 2 different kinds for 2 different frequencies.
Hello. I have a really basic question which I hope to confirm. If I buy new tires only (not wheels. ) do I need to also get new TPMS sensors ? I am thinking of replace the stock wheels with altimax rt43 all season as I do not want to be replacing the oem (OEM cost double price of Altimax at the end of my 2 year lease. Thx in advance

If I buy new tires only (not wheels. ) do I need to also get new TPMS sensors ?

No. TPMS is installed to the metallic wheel, not the rubber tires. You can take your rubber tires off and your TPMS still remain intact with the metal wheel.

...I am thinking of replace the stock wheels...

Again, please don't confuse the metalic wheel with the rubber tires.

When you change your metallic wheel, you need to make sure there's TMPS for it. You can either transfer the TPMS from the stock wheel to the new wheel or you can buy new TPMS for new wheel.

...altimax rt43 all season...

OK. I hope this is a rubber tire that you are talking about and not metal wheel.

Sure, you can change the rubber tires and your TPMS will stay intact as before because you didn't change your wheels.

That means, when you change your tires, there's no worry about buying new TPMS.

No. TPMS is installed to the metallic wheel, not the rubber tires. You can take your rubber tires off and your TPMS still remain intact with the metal wheel.

Again, please don't confuse the metalic wheel with the rubber tires.

When you change your metallic wheel, you need to make sure there's TMPS for it. You can either transfer the TPMS from the stock wheel to the new wheel or you can buy new TPMS for new wheel.

OK. I hope this is a rubber tire that you are talking about and not metal wheel.

Sure, you can change the rubber tires and your TPMS will stay intact as before because you didn't change your wheels.

That means, when you change your tires, there's no worry about buying new TPMS.
Thanks for the reply. My bad. Meant to say : I am thinking of replace the stock tires (not wheels). Thx again.

Reactions: Tam
I purchased used silver 19" rims for my TM3 so I can keep the snow tires on my 18" rims. The seller handed me the rims and then in a separate bag the hub covers and the TPMS sensors. I found a place selling cheap Continentals so I raced over to have them installed but when their guy looked at my sensors he said that the Tesla sensor service kit he could get was not designed for them and the sensor seals are single-use only. He sent me to Tesla to get the kit they would not sell to him directly.

Tesla looked up the sensor and did not find any service kit for it in the parts catalog, they didn't even find the part listed as compatible with the Model 3. I was sold the 1034602-00-B TMPS sensors that did have Tesla Logos on them, but the Model 3 only shows the -00-C part number as being compatible. Tesla did say parts typically don't change much as the revision letter changes at the end of the part number. They seemed confident that the older sensors would be fine in my car. They also suggested going to a tire shop to get the sensor service kit as the sensors are made by Continental, not Tesla. He was referring to this kit he found on eBay.

I went to the Big Discount Tire Pros near me and showed them the sensor, they said I don't need a service kit. He showed the nut has an unthreaded area that locks down the seal by being able to tighten it farther down than then you could with just a regular nut. Does this make sense? This is one of the sensors so it's easier to understand:

D3770E59-2A07-4F61-8021-C0E45DC90199_1_105_c.jpeg

Last edited:
OP: are you trying to save some some money by using a cheaper installer ?

Try returning the TPMS to Tesla for a refund and buy via @SomeJoe7777 instead
He will purchase good OEM on your behalf and program them for you before delivery.

I am a satisfied customer of his and aFAIK his record with other forum members is pristine.