Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installing a home charger in Lincoln, NE?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My parents in Lincoln, NE are very kindly upgrading their electrical so I can charge my Tesla when I drive in from Chicago to visit. (Loving the new superchargers along I-80.)

They haven't had much luck finding an electrician who's done anything like this - can anyone recommend a good electrician in the Lincoln/Omaha area who has a clue about upgrading electrical for a Tesla? (I sent them a copy of the quote from my electrician, and took photos of the work.) When I needed my electrical done, I contacted the nearest dealer...who might be their nearest dealer too (don't think there are any in Nebraska).
Thanks for any help!

It might not be worth the hassle unless they plan on buying an EV themselves soon. What do you typically do with your car while staying at your parents? And how long do you typically stay there? There is also a supercharger right in Lincoln so you can use that if you really put a lot of miles in while visiting.

I just plug in on a regular 110V outlet when visiting my mother. The only favor she has to do for me is to let me park in the garage :)

They did offer. Typically what I do with my Tesla is leave it home and drive the Toyota. When visiting I do drive some: my parents are old and don't drive as well as they could once, and sometimes I go out and do things by myself. This May will be the first time I drive the Tesla; the 500 mile trek didn't work until they added superchargers in Iowa (bless Hy-Vee).

They did offer. Typically what I do with my Tesla is leave it home and drive the Toyota. When visiting I do drive some: my parents are old and don't drive as well as they could once, and sometimes I go out and do things by myself. This May will be the first time I drive the Tesla; the 500 mile trek didn't work until they added superchargers in Iowa (bless Hy-Vee).

Take the Tesla...
Have fun with the Folks.
Just go easy on them when you take them for a "little ride".
Just get 3 bids from 3 different local electricians in the area.
All you need is a dryer plug installed in the garage. If 2 car garage, place in the middle so you have access from both spots.
Make it easy on yourself and your folks.
The electrician will check the main breaker box to make the addition easy.
Use the portable charger that came with your Tesla and charge up appropriately.

Ruthfw, I live in Omaha but the electricians I used for my NEMA 14-50 for my Model S are based in Lincoln. I have had them install two NEMA 14-50 circuits in my garage, one two years ago before my Model S arrived and I just had them do a second one for my second Tesla, that will be arriving when the Model 3s are shipping to the midwest. The name of the company is Sentry Electric, phone 402-467-5550. I had two or three other estimates before I did the first installation, and Sentry were the most reasonable, and they did a very good job. So I can recommend them from using them twice for this purpose.
Consider that you might not really need it. I have made treks to Kansas City and Madison to see relatives and I have always gotten by without charging at 240 volts in their garages. You could, for example, go to the SuperCharger on your way into town (which is in the north part of Lincoln, by the interstate), spend 20-30 minutes, and then go to your parents. If you charged each night and in the daytime while you were at their home with the 110 in there garage and used the SuperCharger on your way home, you may not have the need for the 240. And if you are going to be driving around Lincoln that much, you could run to the SC in the middle. So you might not need the 240 in their garage. Of course, if you or they want to install it in the garage, you would be able to charge fully overnight, every night you were there, and you might not go to the SC at all.
Whatever you choose, I hope you have a nice trip and enjoy using your EV in Lincoln.

• Informative
Reactions: RacerX
I'll second the 120v (Nema 5-15) option. You can get 4 - 5 MPH or 40 - 50 miles of range overnight. We've done that for a couple of months at a time at our beach house without any problems.

If that's not enough, depending on your parents current electrical entrance and panel (and local codes and your parents wealth), it may be a bit less expensive to go with a 5-20 or 6-15 outlet instead of the 14-50. Adapters for these are available from Tesla.

Make sure the electrician knows that this is for a constant current device.

I'm pretty sure my EV is the only one in our small town or within a 45 mile radius but the local electrician had no problem installing a 14-50 outlet. Well...not after he translated my request into a "regular RV outlet!." :)
Total cost was $200 including labor and materials. The breaker box had enough room, and they ran about 15 feet of external (meaning not through studs) conduit on my garage wall .

This outlet is good for 9.6 kW (40A * 240V) sustained using the Tesla UMC.

• Informative
Reactions: RacerX
I'm pretty sure my EV is the only one in our small town or within a 45 mile radius but the local electrician had no problem installing a 14-50 outlet. Well...not after he translated my request into a "regular RV outlet!." :)
Total cost was $200 including labor and materials. The breaker box had enough room, and they ran about 15 feet of external (meaning not through studs) conduit on my garage wall .

This outlet is good for 9.6 kW (40A * 240V) sustained using the Tesla UMC.

Sometimes you just have to speak their language! Then everything is right in the World.