Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installing a Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Brake Controller in a Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you don't want to screw into the interior. Make sure you use very strong double sided tape. You do not want this controller to be dislodged from an impact. I wouldn't suggest Velcro, and in aviation we use high quality velcro a lot.

3M command hooks come with a sticky removable strip that is extremely strong in lateral strength, but weak in sheer. They have a tab you can pull on to remove the hook. I would place this strip between the controllers mount and the trim you plan to attach too.

The 3M strip is generally safe on surfaces without damaging finish, your results may very.

The controller works with inertia, Velcro isn't rigid enough to transfer the energy required to get the results you are demanding from this piece of safety equipment. Also if the controller came loose during severe maneuvers or long term road vibrations, it would be come inoperable or worst yet the manual override could get triggered and cause your trailer to lockup.

How is everyone mounting their brake controllers? I didnt' want them drilling into the sexy white interior, so I asked for velcro, but that's barely a temporary solution.

The brake controller NEEDS to be hard mounted to accurately measure the deceleration of the vehicle. Velcro won't do it.

I'm still looking for someone to validate my installation instructions before I publish them. Could that be you?

The brake controller NEEDS to be hard mounted to accurately measure the deceleration of the vehicle. Velcro won't do it.

I'm still looking for someone to validate my installation instructions before I publish them. Could that be you?
Sorry, we already have a controller that the RV dealer installed for us (minus the mounting).

As for the velcro, the solution worked for us in the trips we took, just ended up wearing off in daily use. We'll look at command strips.

I could validate, pls forward the info.

PM me your email address and I will send a draft of the instructions.

Has the installation been validated yet?

Define validated. The controller has been tested extensively in a Model X with a number of different trailers. I'm waiting for someone to follow my
installation instructions to validate *the instructions* before I publish them (to make sure they are clear and there are no omissions). I've given a number of copies out to various people, but nobody has yet confirmed the install.

I followed Ken's instructions which were great and installed a Tekonsha Prodigy P3. It is a bit wider in the front, but still fit great in the same location Ken mounted his P2. I sent him my feedback which was very minor, hopefully a few others that received his instructions have finished as well and they can be published soon.

IMG_0584.JPG
IMG_0577.JPG

I've installed a Tekonsha Prodigy P2 brake controller in my Model X. Takes about 45 minutes to do (the second time you do it). I've a 12 page "how to" complete with pictures and part numbers, but I don't want to publicly release it until someone else has installed one using my instructions. Obviously, your car must be equipped with the tow package.

If that's going to be you, PM me and I'll get you a copy. Buy a Prodigy P2 and send me a photograph of you holding it in your hand in front of your Model

I installed the P2 in the European version of the Model X and there is no difference with the NA Model X regarding the instructions.
The only difference is the connection to the trailer which is a 13 pin Jaeger plug. The controller signal goes on pin 12.

I'll note this in the next version of the manual. There is only one mention of the connector, in the very last section, and I'll update it to be more generic.

How did you obtain the step-down butt splices in your country?

One update on my installation. I was lazy and left the brake controller in place when not using it. This was a bad idea as the weight of the controller has pulled the panel I attached it to down a little bit and resulted in a squeaky noise when accelerating heavily. The vibrations were causing two panels to rub against each other. I now store the controller in the glove box when not in use.

• Informative
Reactions: ohmman
We have a saying when we are starting out the day: "We are blue, and dot C dot." This refers to the blue tow icon on the Tesla screen, and the state of the brake controller. This comes from our experience of losing the connections on the trailer and having to travel without the controller until we could get it fixed. It is a good feeling to be blue and dot C dot!

We have a saying when we are starting out the day: "We are blue, and dot C dot." This refers to the blue tow icon on the Tesla screen, and the state of the brake controller. This comes from our experience of losing the connections on the trailer and having to travel without the controller until we could get it fixed. It is a good feeling to be blue and dot C dot!

Yikes, how often does your brake controller fail and have you determined what is causing the failures?

Yikes, how often does your brake controller fail and have you determined what is causing the failures?
It only happened once. During the first week of our trip with our Airstream, we lost the adapter for the trailer which the 7 prong plug was plugged into. We had to have it replaced, and we strapped the adapter to the frame of the X, and the 7 prong to the hitch. After that, all was well.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo