Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installing chargers specifically in Irvine Apts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
tesla's are everywhere in the city of Irvine (where I currently reside). Irvine has a ton of apartment units throughout. Are there any owners that live in Irvine apartments that have had chargers installed in their garage where the breakers box is located outside or even on a wall not connected to the garage walls. My unit has the garages all on the bottom floor lined up and are not metered with the unit im in now. Maintenance said its possible to do it but after getting a few quotes, the consideration of labor, wiring , running it through walls and patch repair the garage inside and out would cost well over $1000. How are the other tesla users in the same scenario charging. There are some charging units at outside parking stalls but the cost is $1/hour and are not the fastest.... faster is $5/hr. Please advice. thanks

Not sure how the install goes at apartment, I had mine installed at the house. Do you have any 120V outlets in the garage? If your commute is less than 60 miles a day, that should work just fine

It partly comes down to how long you plan to stay at that property.

The 110V idea is good except that it implies daily charging. Any port in a storm, sure, but that would be painful. The only people that charge every night at home via HPWC or 14-50 are those who drive a lot or who like peace of mind.

Back to how long you plan to stay. Presuming a condo, townhouse, or SFR is in your future, you could take the best estimate and divide by the number of months remaining in that apartment to get the cost per month for dedicated HPWC or 14-50 charging. If 40 months and $1600, then the decision is whether an extra $40/month is worth higher speed charging every few days. Doesn't sound like even that estimate is high enough though - does that include a meter, private or through SCE? If not and if management is picking up the cost of the electricity, I'd jump on that. Even if they flat fee you, that's still not a bad deal unless there just happens to be a 110V outlet within 20 feet of your chariot and you don't plan to drive a lot.

Curious to hear what you decide to do.

Also they are chademo stations all over Irvine, $5 per session. At Woodbury town center and quail hill

Good point. Once the AeroVironment model proliferates (full-strength, fully-functional ChaDeMo usage for 30
days for $19.95, which is as close to free as it gets, the cost of the adapter aside), it's easy to envision a secondary network of ChaDeMo in every area of density across the continent.

It partly comes down to how long you plan to stay at that property.

The only people that charge every night at home via HPWC or 14-50 are those who drive a lot or who like peace of mind.
Sorry to disagree - I charge at home, on a HPWC, every night. My daily travel is ~ 50 miles. Its not because I am anxious or insane; I have simply made it a habit. Get out of the car in my garage, plug in. I have my HPWC cable hanging from the ceiling right by my cars charge port, and thats the route I walk to get into the house. I have to either plug in, or go out of my way and walk around the aging cable. I vary the charge setting from time to time, but its usually between 80 - 90%

Like I said its just a habit. Now I need never think "do I need to charge?" Leads to an anxiety-free life.

PS - sorry that I hijacked the thread