TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Installing the official Tesla model 3 roof rack

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by cantdecide, Dec 28, 2018.

1. Accentcreate

Accentcreate Member

I 'know' nothing, just deducing from the lack of information and the few customers who have racks that this might be Tesla's strategy.
    Of course they could just be totally incompetent, but that would be too easy.

I'm not only waiting for racks, but still waiting for my car!
    Reserved on day one and configured when they first became available for Europe (December 2018). Now being told maybe mid to late May as 'the boats haven't left the US yet'.
    It's a toss up whether I have the racks or the car first. Since I need both a bit of action from Tesla would be very welcome.

2. CDT

CDT Member

I love my 3 for what it’s worth. Definitely a first world problem with the racks but for me it is a big one.

3. AO River

AO River Member

The rack is in stock on the US site for anyone interested...just ordered mine!

4. CDT

CDT Member

Just ordered as well. Never have I been so excited about something so mundane.

• Like x 1
  5. AlasCon

AlasCon Member

6. Mikon

Mikon New Member

We finally received our rack Monday 04/22. We ordered and paid for it on 02/07. The clips that we received are the silver clips with no gap in the center of the clip. I can also confirm the 5-6 Nm. tightening spec on the paper instructions included. The print is really small on the instructions so get out your magnifying app!!

7. kayaker

kayaker Member

thanks for that. my original rack came with the 8Nm instructions. 2 of the black clips broke. I got the new silver clips without any new instructions.
    But as someone else pointed out, the new clips are so long that it is impossible with my hex torque wrench to get anywhere near 8 because the bolt displaces the hex wrench so much that it cannot grasp anything.
    Still happy to be one of what seems like few to have received the roof rack. Mundane, maybe. For a kayaker, not so much.

8. AlasCon

AlasCon Member

Glad it helped, kayaker! I just bought a torque wrench and am about to start installation. My one and only purpose is to get my kayak on it too :)

9. sroh

sroh Member

8 Nm is overkill for the roof rack. So is 5-6 Nm for that matter. Hand tightening is sufficient. Perhaps a half turn with the allen wrench. Just enough to make sure the rack is secure. The lock will keep the wingnut from loosening.

10. AO River

AO River Member

I ordered the rack on 4/17 and received it on 4/25 (ground shipping from CA to NJ). Everything arrived in good condition, and the parts included the new silver clips with no notch. Install was really easy. Based on everything I've read on this thread I was worried when I put the crossbars over the bolts and there was very little thread showing, but the wingnuts grabbed the first thread and then after multiple turns without much effort everything tightened down nicely. I hand tightened as much as I could then used the provided allen wrench for a final 1/4 to 1/2 turn to align with the marks and then locked each corner. It is on there solid.

11. AO River

AO River Member

How far is too far forward for a roof box? The Tesla M3 cross bars sit really far forward and with the box clamps on my Yakima Rocketbox 11 as far forward as they can go (I even drilled custom holes for the rear clamps to move them further forward), there is still a lot of overhang over the front.

IMG-0195.JPG

12. SeBsZ

SeBsZ Vendor

Yeah I think that needs to be moved back, but I'll let someone else chime in.

13. pianoman8t8

pianoman8t8 New Member

Siminoff,we have an XRF Analyzer here at work if you REALLY wanted to know what grade of steel it is ;) otherwise, may be irrelevant at this point in time...

14. North75

North75 Member

Does anybody have any experience with or recommendations for wheel on bike racks for use with the Tesla rack?
    Are there Yakima ones that can use the T-slot in the bar instead of clamps?
    Any issues with clearances to the roof glass?

Thanks in advance.

15. mulard

mulard New Member

North75 -
    1up's roof rack is wheel-on with a t-slot direct mount option and I'd recommend it.

Absolutely no issues with clearance to the roof with the factory M3 rack.

I received and installed a pair of black 1up roof racks last night and used them this morning (bonus: they are fat bike compatible).

The installation is relatively straightforward. Most of the time was spent inserting the mounting points into the t-slot and aligning everything.

Tips:
    * for inserting the t-slot mounts, a little isopropyl alcohol helped to lubricate things. The friction is otherwise kind've ridiculous.

* for alignment, I made sure that the front t-slot mounting points on each side of the car were equally inset from the edge of the roof rack. Likewise for the rear. Finally, I adjusted just the front insets so that the distance between the bike rack tips is identical front and back. I didn't find this mentioned anywhere online, but it seems to guarantee that the bike racks are straight forward despite the M3's curves. After doing all of this you cinch up the locnuts under each bike rack, screw them into the roof rack, and you're set.

One trip isn't enough for a real review of the rack, but it checked off all of the boxes for me and seems well reviewed online.

• Like x 1
  16. North75

North75 Member

Thanks for the advice. Which bolt size option did you go with when ordering the 1up rack?
    Never mind, I guess you went flush mount, as that's the only one that uses the t-slots.

17. mulard

mulard New Member

I did the flush mount, which installs directly into the slot. Here are a couple of photos.

On their fitment > roof rack bolt sizing document you can see a drawing. It sits entirely above the rack.

IMG-2061.JPG
    IMG-2062.JPG