Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installing the official Tesla model 3 roof rack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After seeing all the reports of snapped bolts I decide to go out and check my rack that I installed almost a week ago. Sure enough one bolt was broken. I had no idea it was lose driving around now for a few days... granted I hadn’t put anything on it yet. I never went above 5nm because that’s when I heard the crack.

Posted on the other thread, but I ended up with a broken bolt too. Roof rack had been on three days. Never had anything on them. They were not broken when initially installed. Pretty much hand tight.
After finding my broken bolt I was questioning myself on if I had checked the tightness of the rack on all 4 corners when I finished installing. I could have sworn I did and it was all secure, so maybe it did break during the few days I was driving it and not on initial install. Just seems odd because I had nothing on the rack.

Something tells me that someone messed up on the production of these, maybe in the hardening of the J-bolts, when welding on the threaded studs or maybe when spec-ing the material itself. I'm assuming they're snapping due to tensile stress since some of them are snapping long after they were tightened, more or less ruling out torsional stress.

They need to go back to the drawing board because this isn't an isolated incident and it's definitely a safety concern. I don't think I'd just take a replacement from the J-bolts they have on hand -- these need to be completely redone.

Dang. I was so looking forward to putting this on my car, but bike season is a couple of months away in Wisconsin...

Reactions: Castlerock
Got mine installed today.

My torque wrench goes from 1.1 Nm (10 in-lbs) to 15 Nm. I set the wrench for around 2Nm (1/4 what tesla recommends).

I did hear a few worrisome cracking noises while torque'g, but I ended up using the "can I turn the lock on the crossbar" as my guide in the torque I used. When torqued to 1.1Nm I could not lock the rear crossbar. at 2Nm everything seems stable (car rocks when I push on the bars). Will drive around a few days and likely take everything off to be sure.Ski gear goes on friday! Then 12 hours to tahoe.

Also, measured that with my Yakima Fat Cat 6 Evo + T Slot adapter, the clearance to the roof is around 4". My largest bindings are 5" for my skis so going to have to not go with that solution unfortunately. Even the RPL ASSY T-Slot recommended here probably wouldn't give enough. On the other had, getting the T Slot Bolts on is a royal pain in the ass so I don't really mind.

After a 500km trip, just found that one of the front J clip had snapped !!!!! Very disappointed !!!!

Was installed on Feb 14th !!

Attachments

• 70632267-6BD4-4176-9FC0-803E5F6E11CB.jpeg
    70632267-6BD4-4176-9FC0-803E5F6E11CB.jpeg
    303.9 KB · Views: 336
  • ABBFA8B7-13AA-42CE-9583-AAC0B1F1C8F0.jpeg
    ABBFA8B7-13AA-42CE-9583-AAC0B1F1C8F0.jpeg
    406.9 KB · Views: 291
  • CB4B0789-9799-4833-AA5D-35DE958EB39C.jpeg
    CB4B0789-9799-4833-AA5D-35DE958EB39C.jpeg
    388.6 KB · Views: 275
  • Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Something tells me that someone messed up on the production of these, maybe in the hardening of the J-bolts, when welding on the threaded studs or maybe when spec-ing the material itself. I'm assuming they're snapping due to tensile stress since some of them are snapping long after they were tightened, more or less ruling out torsional stress.

They need to go back to the drawing board because this isn't an isolated incident and it's definitely a safety concern. I don't think I'd just take a replacement from the J-bolts they have on hand -- these need to be completely redone.

Dang. I was so looking forward to putting this on my car, but bike season is a couple of months away in Wisconsin...

Has anyone reported this to Tesla or know if they are investigating this J-Bolt issue? I've been holding off installing my roof rack as well because of this.

Reactions: Castlerock
Has anyone reported this to Tesla or know if they are investigating this J-Bolt issue? I've been holding off installing my roof rack as well because of this.

On the roof rack FAQ webpage there is an email address that it says can be used to order replacement parts for the rack. I emailed them 3 days ago about the broken bolt and still haven’t heard anything back yet.

Folks, fyi, I formally sent an urgent e-mail to Tesla (my local mobile team + [email protected]) with a cut and paste of all our testimonies of having J-Clips that snapped since Thursday (I have counted nine different owners).

I hope they get on top of this before someone gets hurt.

It could not hurt that they hear directly from you as well at [email protected].

Thank you Neo, I'm also in contact with Tesla (through [email protected] and [email protected]), and have shared this post with them to stress the severity of the problem. They asked me to send the rack back to them with the broken parts for a full review, which I did a few days ago. Hopefully they can have a look themselves and figure out what the problem is.

Folks, fyi, I formally sent an urgent e-mail to Tesla (my local mobile team + [email protected]) with a cut and paste of all our testimonies of having J-Clips that snapped since Thursday (I have counted nine different owners).

I hope they get on top of this before someone gets hurt.

It could not hurt that they hear directly from you as well at [email protected].

Thanks! Mine seems to be holding...will be installing skis this Friday and driving so will see how it goes