Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Instavolt - 57 p/kwh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
C

candida

57p per kw/h

So if I do 10-90% that's about £33

gets me 160 miles, so my wife's Land Rover at £110 a tank for 500 miles is now almost exactly the same price :oops:

(yeah, I know I charge at home, but still. Bloody Putin)

57p per kw/h

gets me 160 miles, so my wife's Land Rover at £110 a tank for 500 miles is now almost exactly the same price :oops:

When it was 35p it was high for me but at these prices it gives people more incentive not to use these chargers so when you do actually need them then there is more chance they might be free.

57p per kw/h

So basically electricity providers are being the same as petrol stations and adding additional profit to take advantage of the current situation. Thieving [email protected] face it... They were always gonna ensure cars cost just as much to run as they do with Ice engines.. Just didn't expect so fast

• Disagree
Reactions: btc1k
Boo! My home prices are 32p/kWh and filling up my Model X is about £29 for 200 miles.
Yay! I have free supercharging, so when I get to use a supercharger I feel like I'm getting £29 for free. That's the positive spin I try and put on it, anyway!

We're starting to drive our Renault Zoe more, because as a smaller car it's 50% more efficient than the Model X.

It’s a pretty safe bet that charging an electric car using public chargers will cost more than ICE in the short term. It’s where the future is, it’s where future profits are. Imagine 57p now…. What’s it going to be next year? It’s certainly never going down, despite market factors. Also… far far less choice to charge a car v a petrol station so people will have to use them.

So basically electricity providers are being the same as petrol stations and adding additional profit to take advantage of the current situation.
Or the prices "at the pump" (EV charger) are increasing because the wholesale prices for the providers to buy electricity are astronomical at the moment. Why do you think so many of the household utility providers have gone bust recently? They gave their customers fixed price energy & were priced out of the market by the rising wholesale costs.

The current trend of chargers increasing in price is not profiteering, but necessity for them to maintain their business model.

Unfortunately this is inevitable with current electricity prices, but still a shame.
Electricity prices have been more or less stable around 22p per kWh at spot pricing and far lesser than that on future contracts.

Unlike Tesla Superchargers which are well thought out with energy purchased with future contracts, InstaVolt is like a scheme where everything is leased and energy purchased on demand. InstaVolt is not only free for the landowners they would also pay rent and offer commission. If any of their costs go up or if the bosses need more money they can simply put up the price!

Hmmm...

At the moment the Ofgem price cap is 28p per 1kWh... in October they're suggesting it'll go up again by 50%

So that'll be 42p per 1kWh

Our house is 100% electric (induction cooking, Heat Pump, Ev's), and during Winter we can easily reach 2MWh per month.

At those rates our Annual electric bill would be £10,000 per year...

Electricity prices have been more or less stable around 22p per kWh at spot pricing and far lesser than that on future contracts.

Unlike Tesla Superchargers which are well thought out with energy purchased with future contracts, InstaVolt is like a scheme where everything is leased and energy purchased on demand. InstaVolt is not only free for the landowners they would also pay rent and offer commission. If any of their costs go up or if the bosses need more money they can simply put up the price!
OK I should have said electricity prices and inflation, because as you point out there are many other costs that go into the provision of rapid charging on top of the electricity and they are all going up. At the end of the day if you don’t like InstaVolts business model or prices don’t use them, but until Tesla open up their network to all EVs InstaVolt will still be required for many.

Reactions: btc1k
The only reason our running costs are so low, is because of Smart Meter dual rate Tariffs, Solar Array Generation and Storage Batteries.

Getting electric for free, or at 5p / 7.5p per 1kWh is really cheap.

The only piece missing is Winter Self-Generating Power.

Reactions: dcsh
OK I should have said electricity prices and inflation, because as you point out there are many other costs that go into the provision of rapid charging on top of the electricity and they are all going up. At the end of the day if you don’t like InstaVolts business model or prices don’t use them, but until Tesla open up their network to all EVs InstaVolt will still be required for many.
InstaVolt knows that there aren't a lot of options out there so are cleverly increasing the margins to 22p from 15p. GridServe is still 39p for 60 kW and 45p for 150/350 kW. MFG EV Power is 45p for 150 kW. Of course, now that one operator has increased the price the rest would happily follow despite no real movements in the wider energy market. Yes, we can use inflation and the supply chain as an excuse for everything. Told my wife I won't help with the washing machine due to inflation ;)

Boo! My home prices are 32p/kWh and filling up my Model X is about £29 for 200 miles.
Yay! I have free supercharging, so when I get to use a supercharger I feel like I'm getting £29 for free. That's the positive spin I try and put on it, anyway!

We're starting to drive our Renault Zoe more, because as a smaller car it's 50% more efficient than the Model X.
why the hell you pay 32p per kwh when off-peak (not even talking about go) with economy 7 should be lower?

Or the prices "at the pump" (EV charger) are increasing because the wholesale prices for the providers to buy electricity are astronomical at the moment. Why do you think so many of the household utility providers have gone bust recently? They gave their customers fixed price energy & were priced out of the market by the rising wholesale costs.

The current trend of chargers increasing in price is not profiteering, but necessity for them to maintain their business model.
Plus it's premium electricity. Your motors will run better and it has a cleaning agent in it.

why the hell you pay 32p per kwh when off-peak (not even talking about go) with economy 7 should be lower?

I question I ask myself regularly! I did look into switching to Octopus, but at the time it was more expensive. I'm on Ecotricity's 24/7 100% renewable (ie they put an equivalent kWh of green energy into the grid as their customer consume, over a period of time) tariff, which is certainly not the cheapest available.

I can't switch to an Economy 7 tariff, because we don't have a smart meter. The company Ecotricity had installing them was absolute pants, they switched companies, and now they've got an enormous backlog of meters to switch out. Octopus wouldn't have us unless we had a smart meter already.

Luckily, the local shopping centre has a Tesla destination charger, and weirdly the ANPR system doesn't charge you at all if you park overnight...

Our house is 100% electric (induction cooking, Heat Pump, Ev's), and during Winter we can easily reach 2MWh per month.
2MWh per month?! :eek: We're fully electric too, ASHP, and our average usage per year for the last two has been around 3MWh - 3.5MWh.
Luckily, the local shopping centre has a Tesla destination charger, and weirdly the ANPR system doesn't charge you at all if you park overnight...
Are you saying you use the destination charger at a supermarket and leave your car there the whole night?

• Funny
Reactions: Adopado
2MWh per month?! :eek: We're fully electric too, ASHP, and our average usage per year for the last two has been around 3MWh - 3.5MWh.

You are using only 9kWh per day with ASP, and charging EVs!! Our yearly electricity usage is 5Mwh from the grid, that excludes 3Mwh of solar and all gas heating.

Without solar and using electricity for heating I suspect we would easily be at 1-1.5Mwh per month.