Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Instavolt - 57 p/kwh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I question I ask myself regularly! I did look into switching to Octopus, but at the time it was more expensive. I'm on Ecotricity's 24/7 100% renewable (ie they put an equivalent kWh of green energy into the grid as their customer consume, over a period of time) tariff, which is certainly not the cheapest available.

I can't switch to an Economy 7 tariff, because we don't have a smart meter. The company Ecotricity had installing them was absolute pants, they switched companies, and now they've got an enormous backlog of meters to switch out. Octopus wouldn't have us unless we had a smart meter already.

Luckily, the local shopping centre has a Tesla destination charger, and weirdly the ANPR system doesn't charge you at all if you park overnight...
well isn't Economy 7 just a standard 2 time zone meter?!

2MWh per month?! :eek: We're fully electric too, ASHP, and our average usage per year for the last two has been around 3MWh - 3.5MWh.

Are you saying you use the destination charger at a supermarket and leave your car there the whole night?

We're getting close yes, and I could see us doing 2MWh a month through Winter.

We're at home all day.

Our best (worst) day was nearly 100 kWh in one day.

Screenshot_20220427-094335_Tesla.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Casss
You are using only 9kWh per day with ASP, and charging EVs!! Our yearly electricity usage is 5Mwh from the grid, that excludes 3Mwh of solar and all gas heating.

Without solar and using electricity for heating I suspect we would easily be at 1-1.5Mwh per month.
Now that you mention it I might double check this with Bulb lol....

Edit: basic maths tells me their (Bulb) numbers are BS. Honestly I wonder how they send an email sometimes. 2+ years of data and the annual consumption shown on our last bill is 2MWh off. :rolleyes: I take back everything I said, ours is more like 4.5 - 5MWh /yr too which makes sense.:mad:

Last edited:
I begin to get cross.

Two facts:
The wholesale price of Electricity in Iceland (the Country, not the Supermarket) is €0.02/kWh..... yes, 2 Euro cents...
1 Litre of Tesco 99 Octane E5 fuel is the equivalent of 9.7kWh of electricity. At £1.80/Litre that is £0.18 per kWh equivalent.

Conclusions:
If Electricity at public chargers is more than 18p/kwh and you cannot charge at home at night it is more logical to dump the Tesla and get a PHEV.
There is something VERY distorted about energy prices in the UK.

I'm tempted to go back to a Mercedes A Class PHEV.

• Disagree
Reactions: MrMoonUK
Are you saying you use the destination charger at a supermarket and leave your car there the whole night?

Shopping centre rather than supermarket, but yes. Brompton in the boot, cycle home in five minutes, and free charging! It's a bit of a faff though, so don't do it that often.

well isn't Economy 7 just a standard 2 time zone meter?!
I think so, and I don't have one of those either. I don't think they install 'dumb' meters any more. I can't remember the details, but basically Octopus were like "nope".

The wholesale price of Electricity in Iceland (the Country, not the Supermarket) is €0.02/kWh..... yes, 2 Euro cents...
Iceland has a huge installation of geothermal energy, which is a sunk cost. Hence why it's so cheap there, and not in the UK where we're mostly dependent on gas. The prices we're paying (literally and figuratively) are arguably a result of decades of political decisions.

Norway spent it's tax revenues from the North Sea oil field on a sovereign investment fund and green energy projects, which is why their grid is something like 97% from renewables. I'm not sure what the UK spent it on. Banker bail-outs, the NHS, and wars, I expect.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xdama
I begin to get cross.

Two facts:
1 Litre of Tesco 99 Octane E5 fuel is the equivalent of 9.7kWh of electricity. At £1.80/Litre that is £0.18 per kWh equivalent.

Conclusions:
If Electricity at public chargers is more than 18p/kwh and you cannot charge at home at night it is more logical to dump the Tesla and get a PHEV.

I'm tempted to go back to a Mercedes A Class PHEV.
What's the price of electricity in Iceland got to do with a public charger price in the UK?

Reactions: DeejUK and gangzoom
Two facts:

Conclusions:
What matters is the range that you can get for your fuel vs electric otherwise what would be logical would be to burn that fuel to charge the car at 0.18kWh but some how I doubt it would work out so simple.

57p per kw/h

So if I do 10-90% that's about £33

gets me 160 miles, so my wife's Land Rover at £110 a tank for 500 miles is now almost exactly the same price :oops:

(yeah, I know I charge at home, but still. Bloody Putin)
Of course the maths as always in hysterical posts like this is completely flawed.

£33 @ 57p per kWh equals 58kwh. 160miles on 58 kWh is 360wh per mile. I think we all get significantly more than that.

A small (being generous as it’s not specified) Land Rover has a tank capacity of 70litres. Interested to hear where you can fill that for £110. I suspect it doesn’t do anywhere near 500 miles either (32mpg)

And yeah charge at home, 7.5p still available on Octopus GO.

Carry on though.

Reactions: pow216 and btc1k
I think we all get significantly more than that.

I do not, but then I'm probably in a minority of driving a Model X. 360wh/mile is the lower bound of my efficiency, it's often above 400wh/mile, even in range mode and using the heating sparingly. We did a quick calculation at work, and we reckoned that the Model X is nearly as expensive per mile as one of my staffs' wife's car. The details I don't recall, but it was close enough to be comparable.

Luckily I don't drive electric for the fuel savings, although they have been a benefit. For me it was more about being part of the 'solution' rather than part of the 'problem' (with single quotes because those terms are subjective).

... hysterical posts like this ...

How nice that this thread should have made it to post 29 before someone comes along and tells me I must be doing it wrong, or misunderstanding, or lying.

And how remarkable that it isn't for once a US fanboi with 3 1/2 million posts but someone with 9, none of which relate to their actual use.

How about, @redrog , you look at this thread, or this post, or this one, or this. Maybe I can even quote myself and you can check out the likes from fellow M3P owners. The M3P has really crappy efficiency - it's the price we pay for the performance.

160miles on 58 kWh is 360wh per mile. I think we all get significantly more than that.

For what it's worth, my lifetime wh/mile is now at 345 after 13500 miles. I have never ever got 200 miles from 10-90%.

A small (being generous as it’s not specified) Land Rover has a tank capacity of 70litres. Interested to hear where you can fill that for £110. I suspect it doesn’t do anywhere near 500 miles either (32mpg)

2 litre new Defender fill with 75 litres (because like an EV you dont use the last 10%) was, a month ago when I last did it, £126. You're about right at 32 mpg which makes a range of 545 miles for that fill.

I make that 4.32 ppm for the Defender and 4.67 ppm for the Tesla.

And yeah charge at home, 7.5p still available on Octopus GO.

Carry on though.

Will do, because as I've had the car for more than six weeks I'm still on a 5p Go tariff.

Carry on though.

Quite.

• Disagree
Reactions: NewbieT and btc1k
Two facts:
Iceland is on a geological fault that provides access to almost limitless geothermal energy. To compare the their cost of electricity with here is beyond bonkers!

For what it's worth, my lifetime wh/mile is now at 345 after 13500 miles. I have never ever got 200 miles from 10-90%.
In my p- the data on Teslamate shows energy consumption seemed to work out at 353Wh/mi over 24k miles which is pretty similar, driving habits will of course change this and will vary from people's location.

For a P I think 230-250 miles on 100% at around 20-25c in the summer was a reasonable expectation but in the winter 180-200 would be likely based on the statistics of consumption at varying temperatures

Reactions: candida and PITA
In my p- the data on Teslamate shows energy consumption seemed to work out at 353Wh/mi over 24k miles which is pretty similar, driving habits will of course change this and will vary from people's location.

For a P I think 230-250 miles on 100% at around 20-25c in the summer was a reasonable expectation but in the winter 180-200 would be likely based on the statistics of consumption at varying temperatures
I have a 2019 P- and agree with your estimates pretty much spot on.
I generally do my planning for a comfortable (and not overly slow 😳) 180-200 miles in the winter and around 230 in the summer.