Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Instead of waiting would you?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No No.. I think many people are confused on this. This statement means that Tesla will be able to build 500K cars a year in 2 years.

If deliveries start in late 2017...that's not 2 years from now.
I think you're confused. He's not saying two years from now - he's saying that he expected to wait two years when he reserved.

We reserved in March (or April) of 2016.
Deliveries start in late 2017.
Add in the fact most of us will not receive those initial deliveries.
Add in the fact that there will most likely be some delays.
And March 2018 isn't an unreasonable time to expect delivery of your car.

I think you're confused. He's not saying two years from now - he's saying that he expected to wait two years when he reserved.

We reserved in March (or April) of 2016.
Deliveries start in late 2017.
Add in the fact most of us will not receive those initial deliveries.
Add in the fact that there will most likely be some delays.
And March 2018 isn't an unreasonable time to expect delivery of your car.
No I'm not confused. He is saying 2 things.

What he says he believes is one thing. He expects to get his car in 2 years. That's absolutely fine. No problem Then he references an article to justify his expectations and that article. My comment is this: Although you have your expectations ( which are fine ) - That article has nothing to do with the facts of his expectations.

Hes talking about when to expect his car: However, that article talking about how long it will take Tesla to produce 500K cars - including MS's and MX's

That article has nothing to do with the facts of his expectations.
His main reference to the article was:
Deliveries planned to start late 2017, as reaffirmed in shareholder letter above.
He then makes an off-hand comment that he may get his sooner since they're ramping up production. Remember, in order to reach production of 500k cars in 2018, they're going to have to produce more cars than originally planned in 2017 as well.

No No.. I think many people are confused on this. This statement means that Tesla will be able to build 500K cars a year in 2 years.

If deliveries start in late 2017...that's not 2 years from now.
Sigh. Re-read what I wrote in my two previous replies. I'm referring to when I'll be getting MY Model 3; not whenTesla will deliver its first Model 3. As for the shareholder letter I linked above, it reaffirmed earlier statements by Tesla that first deliveries start in late 2017, but that doesn't mean I'll be getting mine then due to the reasons i cited in my previous post. For MY planning purposes, 2018 (two years from when I reserved) is when I can realistically expect MY car. And that was all I was saying in my original reply to this thread -- that on March 31 when I went in to make MY reservation, I was fully expecting at least a two year wait until I'd get MY car. I was not making any assertions about when Tesla would deliver their first Model 3, which apparently is what you'd assumed I was saying.

The letter goes on to say that they are planning to ramp up production to 500K units by 2018 instead of the original 2020. With the accelerated schedule, I said there's a possibility I may get MY car a bit sooner that I had anticipated when I placed MY reservation on March 31. And the only reason I linked that letter is because you wanted me to show proof that MY two year delivery estimate for MY car is justifiable. Is that clear now?

Last edited:
Reactions: KJD
Here is a question and forgive me if it has been covered.

If I buy a CPO MS for 50k I will get the 7.5k tax credit which I probably won't get for the three (late res holder). If I take the 7.5k and put it towards my S loan payment would that not take some of the sting out of the depreciation hit I would take If I traded the S in on my 3?

Here is a question and forgive me if it has been covered.

If I buy a CPO MS for 50k I will get the 7.5k tax credit which I probably won't get for the three (late res holder). If I take the 7.5k and put it towards my S loan payment would that not take some of the sting out of the depreciation hit I would take If I traded the S in on my 3?
The $7,500 credit is only good for new vehicles.

• Informative
Reactions: Weezer Fan
I'm too lazy to do the math now but it may work out if you buy a base MS now and trade it in on your 3. I hate leases. I'm just wondering if you would lose less money that way.

Bottom line is I CANT WAIT!

Well I can but I don't want to.
If I could afford to buy a Model S - base or optioned - CPO or new - I would have done it in a blink, and dropped my TM3 reservations.

So, if you really can afford the Model S and it is a car you can live with - do it! There will be an TM3 option for you the next time you will have to buy a car :)
But if you really can't afford it, but just can make it work somehow if you are lucky and can sell it in a year or two without loosing to much on the deal, then don't. Yes, you will (almost certainly) loose money on this. If it is more then you can afford is an open question.

... and yes, I know this wait is hard. I have been waiting about 20 years now for anyone to make a car like this... and 10 year for the affordable Tesla...

If I could afford to buy a Model S - base or optioned - CPO or new - I would have done it in a blink, and dropped my TM3 reservations.

So, if you really can afford the Model S and it is a car you can live with - do it! There will be an TM3 option for you the next time you will have to buy a car :)
But if you really can't afford it, but just can make it work somehow if you are lucky and can sell it in a year or two without loosing to much on the deal, then don't. Yes, you will (almost certainly) loose money on this. If it is more then you can afford is an open question.

... and yes, I know this wait is hard. I have been waiting about 20 years now for anyone to make a car like this... and 10 year for the affordable Tesla...

I could afford a CPO S but it really does not make sense at this point. It really is a want:(. I will be much better off waiting a couple years and getting the 3 or a better CPO S.

Being responsible sucks!:)

• Funny
Reactions: Weezer Fan
I could afford a CPO S but it really does not make sense at this point. It really is a want:(. I will be much better off waiting a couple years and getting the 3 or a better CPO S.

Being responsible sucks!:)
Absolutely. We need more examples of responsibility such for our youth.

I believe many of the comments in this forum would make more sense to me if there was some kind of way of seeing the age of the posters and a general income level.