Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Instructions for facelift bumper/fascia installation on nosecone Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I found this thread today! I have a 2014 P85 that I am facelifting to the new nose. I have also ordered all my parts from the SC and already have the bumper here. The fog lights are identical by PN from the cone and flat nose. Your old headlights work just fine. Maybe I will start a thread and cover some other info. I have pics of the part locations and numbers I can include.

Nice to see that I am not the only one trying this! Btw, my P85 is white so we can see the gap a white car.

Finally got the damage assessment for the sideswipe last week. Fortunately not too bad. The front core support has been damaged and will need to be replaced (photo below). Hopefully the work will be completed by early next week. The shop doing the work is going to install the facelift bumper and take photos of the key steps so hopefully it will all be completed next week and I can post instructions at that time.

Tesla-Model-S-Front-Radiator-Support-Frame-PN-1005536-00-J-Used-301748208765-5.jpg

I thought there was a question in this thread regarding the new hood vs old hood but didn't see the post I read earlier so it must have been in the 'other' facelift thread?
so had my car next to a new car and can verify the hood is definitely different and flatter across the front. sorry no trace or measurements to see how much but it looked like maybe 1/2 inch difference in the middle

• Informative
  • Funny
Reactions: Canuck and Snerruc
I thought there was a question in this thread regarding the new hood vs old hood but didn't see the post I read earlier so it must have been in the 'other' facelift thread?
so had my car next to a new car and can verify the hood is definitely different and flatter across the front. sorry no trace or measurements to see how much but it looked like maybe 1/2 inch difference in the middle

I think I'll have to eat crow:). I did some close examination of several head-on photos and the difference is there but it's quite minor -- it apppears to be in the curvature of the new hood. As another poster has noted it's a bit flatter over the T. But I don't think that will make any difference in the install.

I think I'll have to eat crow:). I did some close examination of several head-on photos and the difference is there but it's quite minor -- it apppears to be in the curvature of the new hood. As another poster has noted it's a bit flatter over the T. But I don't think that will make any difference in the install.

Yeah I think they are slightly different, but also I don't think if you asked 1000 random people they would notice it on a car that's been "upgraded" to the new fronted. And since it's barely noticeable who cares?

You guys cannot be helped.
It´s almost autistic.
It will look worse.
Much worse.
There´s a reason the third parties took so long to come to the market.
They faced the same problems of proportion. They ran into a wall. And even now those "solutions"still look bad and unrefined.
The whole face will tend to look upwards, while the new design subjectively points down and wide and thus has a sovereignity.

The old lamps have their own character and with the "under bite" of the retracted old hood and thus the bigger opening will make it look like a night owl.
I guess Franz & Team worked quite some time to get this refined, flat sleek look of the FL. Probably 3 years. You cannot simply rip aesthetics apart and recombine. Good design is an art.
nightowl.jpg

It´s almost autistic.
It will look worse.
Much worse.
There´s a reason the third parties took so long to come to the market.
They faced the same problems of proportion. They ran into a wall. And even now those "solutions"still look bad and unrefined.
The whole face will tend to look upwards, while the new design subjectively points down and wide and thus has a sovereignity.

The old lamps have their own character and with the "under bite" of the retracted old hood and thus the bigger opening will make it look like a night owl.
I guess Franz & Team worked quite some time to get this refined, flat sleek look of the FL. Probably 3 years. You cannot simply rip aesthetics apart and recombine. Good design is an art.

I wonder how many times Elon Musk heard similar negative comments about starting a new automobile company and bringing a long-range EV to mass market? And this is only a simple redo of the front end that doesn't cost much in parts and effort if it doesn't work but will be such a gift to me and many others if it does.

And if it doesn't work @artsci will still get an A+ for effort from me. It's the effort that counts in my books. You win some, you lose some, but if you never try you never win.

Imagine what the world would be like if everyone was so negative and critical and no one ever went out on a limb and tried something new?

I wonder how many times Elon Musk heard similar negative comments about starting a new automobile company and bringing a long-range EV to mass market? And this is only a simple redo of the front end that doesn't cost much in parts and effort if it doesn't work but will be such a gift to me and many others if it does.

And if it doesn't work @artsci will still get an A+ for effort from me. It's the effort that counts in my books. You win some, you lose some, but if you never try you never win.

Imagine what the world would be like if everyone was so negative and critical and no one ever went out on a limb and tried something new?

Strongly agree with this line of thinking, can't wait to see the finished product so I can do the same :D

It´s almost autistic.

All off us who are working on this very much appreciate your praise.

And you show real talent with Photoshop in exaggerating the curvature of the nosecone hood -- especially when a direct comparison of the two without any Photoshop alterations shows very little difference in the arc of the curve. So your input is very much appreciated, It's a great work of fiction.

2013-tesla-model-s-1_653.jpg

Unknown.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Canuck