Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Instructions for facelift bumper/fascia installation on nosecone Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe he listed that in the first post $415 for the bumper unpainted and another $300-400 for the parts he listed out. So in the neighborhood of $800 is sounds like...

Actually the total cost of the parts was $530 including the bumper itself, a real bargain IMHO. I still don't have an estimate for the painting but I'm guessing it will be around $500. Although I think the lower grille transfers from the old nosecome bumper to the facelift version, I went ahead and ordered the facelift grille, which I overlooked in my original parts list. My guess is that will cost less than $100. Once I have the cost and part number, I'll post them.

As a result of the fender bender I had and the damage to the original bumper all of this may be covered under my insurance, as that would require replacement of the original anyway. Only question now if there is additional damage that will be revealed when the bumper is taken off next week for a full inspection.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
So much cheaper than I would have thought, I'm very intrigued to pull the trigger on mine as well. Be interesting to see closer look at the hood gap, the pic posted earlier didn't appear to be all that bad at all. Like the idea of expanding on the tesla mount to fill the area with something possibly, expanded lighted T with light bar lol.

Reactions: St Charles
Where are you going to put your laser shifters?

Good question and I haven't figured that one out yet. But as I don't want to drill slots for them in the bumper itself, the only choice would be to mount them on the left and right ends of the grille, not an ideal location for sure. \

If I had been thinking at all, when Evan Patak did my headlight mods I could have had him mount them in the headlight housing, which would be an ideal location. Regrettably I wasn't thinking ahead.

So much cheaper than I would have thought, I'm very intrigued to pull the trigger on mine as well. Be interesting to see closer look at the hood gap, the pic posted earlier didn't appear to be all that bad at all. Like the idea of expanding on the tesla mount to fill the area with something possibly, expanded lighted T with light bar lol.

Before you or anyone else lays out the $ for the parts you might want to wait until we complete the installation and can be confident it works well without any problems like the dreaded "gap." Just sayin'.

We should have the installation completed by the end of February.

Reactions: Canuck
Definitely will hold out to see the full report, and it's awesome your taking the plunge and documenting it so well for the community. I'm a mod junky and love stuff like this, I've been circling the unplugged performance version, but it's so dang expensive. When you consider the cost of the tesla cover (minus painting) and compare it to the 3k they are asking, you know they don't have much in costs and I know they are trying to recoup their R&D, but dang.

Definitely will hold out to see the full report, and it's awesome your taking the plunge and documenting it so well for the community. I'm a mod junky and love stuff like this, I've been circling the unplugged performance version, but it's so dang expensive. When you consider the cost of the tesla cover (minus painting) and compare it to the 3k they are asking, you know they don't have much in costs and I know they are trying to recoup their R&D, but dang.

True, but to be fair, the development costs of the mold alone for something like a bumper have to be huge. So outfits like Unplugged Performance have to play a kind of guessing game about price and sales volume before making the investment and setting a price. It's a major risk and the price reflects that to some degree. That's also true of the the Karstyle and TSportline versions, and the fact that there are three competing versions makes the risk all the greater. Now there appears to be a DYI option that's much less expensive, which only increases that risk. My hat's off to Unplugged and the other firms that produce these products for Tesla owners.

True, but to be fair, the development costs of the mold alone for something like a bumper have to be huge. So outfits like Unplugged Performance have to play a kind of guessing game about price and sales volume before making the investment and setting a price. It's a major risk and the price reflects that to some degree. That's also true of the the Karstyle and TSportline versions, and the fact that there are three competing versions makes the risk all the greater. Now there appears to be a DYI option that's much less expensive, which only increases that risk. My hat's off to Unplugged and the other firms that produce these products for Tesla owners.

Very good points, not knocking Unplugged at all they have great people there and I have talked with many of them multiple times. Everything I have seen and read appears that it is top quality components. I actually bought their lowering brackets, I could have a DIY lowering link, but for all the time they spent with me on the phone answering my questions I figured it was a good way to test the waters on their products. Plus the blue brackets look pretty darn cool.

Unplugged is awesome yes

Here are more of the parts for the refresh that came in today
received_10208819687035104.jpeg
received_10208819686595093.jpeg

For those of us with pre-parking sensor vehicles, can the pre-drilled holes be filled in with something like bondo as a DIY? Or is this something I should leave for the paint shop to take care of? I'm not too thrilled to fill them with unused parking sensors.

I thought I read somewhere that the refresh vehicles lights were different, and the new bumper wouldn't fit the old cars. Glad to see that debunked...

If there is a gap with the finished installation, can a part be 3D modeled and printed to fill it?

Last edited:
Unplugged is awesome yes

Here are more of the parts for the refresh that came in today
View attachment 214877 View attachment 214878

Some of those parts do not appear to be on my list and I don't have them. Do you have part descriptions and numbers we can add? Don't want to be missing anything when we attempt the install. The parts with the double sided tape for example.

Last edited:
Artsci posted this as the Total parts cost.. Which is very good.

All of the parts have arrived in Rockville. Should have them in a day or two. With the facelift/bumper and other parts, total parts cost was about $530. Installation attempt should be made the weekend after next.

I suspect removal, install and painting will be the additional $$ hopefully around $1k or less.. I assume you could do much of this work yourself and just have the fender painted somewhere.

For those of us with pre-parking sensor vehicles, can the pre-drilled holes be filled in with something like bondo as a DIY? Or is this something I should leave for the paint shop to take care of? I'm not too thrilled to fill them with unused parking sensors.

I thought I read somewhere that the refresh vehicles lights were different, and the new bumper wouldn't fit the old cars. Glad to see that debunked...

If there is a gap with the finished installation, can a part be 3D modeled and printed to fill it?

You can buy plugs for parking sensor holes. They come in standard sizes. Hole Plug For 30mm Hole

• Informative
Reactions: Morristhecat