Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance Claims and Sentry Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
“Act of God” is a common term in contracts, insurance ones in particular. It does not have anything to do with imaginary beings anymore, it is defined as an action by uncontrollable forces. When you say “bless you” to someone who sneezed, your intention is probably not to wish a blessing from an imaginary being upon them but rather to simply be polite. Same idea - the term may have had religious origins, but it has long lost them.

I'm aware. It was a joke.

Act of God Lets reverse this You had a shopping cart you just loaded your groceries in your car. You get in your car and the cart rolls away and hits a car. That car owner confronts you demanding you pay for the damage How would you react

I would agree with this if the the wind took the cart away while they were unloading and couldn't do anything about it. When it was extremely windy and said person did not put the cart away and drove off, there was a human that had control of the outcome of the situation. Not a simple act of god.

If someone accused me of this and they had evidence, I would accept my role in what happened.

Pics of damage below. Should I have Tesla do the body work or would a third party be okay? Nearest service center is two hours from me.
IMG_1691.jpeg
IMG_1690.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: KenC
Would they pop up in the app?
No, certified body shops do not pop up in the app. Tesla runs three full service body shops in the US, but none are anywhere near you. Check out the body shop support section on Tesla's website: Body Shop Support
You can try scheduling an appointment at your local service center, but they really only deal with minor scuffs, scratches, and dent repairs for bolt-on panels, so you're almost certainly going to be told to go elsewhere. Model 3 doors are aluminium, so if you pick a local shop, make sure they know how to work on it. Talk to PDR guys too, the damage looks like it may be up their alley. If you need replacement parts, Tesla won't sell structural body parts to non-certified shops, but door panels should theoretically be OK. If you decide to go the certified route, the closest options to you would be Worcester and Hartford. The same site I linked above will let you look up certified shops.

On another note, most shops that work with Teslas will want significantly more for body and paint labor than insurance companies like to pay. In my case the certified shop billed $125/hour and insurance wanted to pay $47/hour. Going with a certified shop that has good hookups with insurance companies can be a lifesaver when it comes to that - my shop told me not to worry about it and worked with the adjuster to get them to cover their rates as a concession item.