Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance Company for Tesla Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm using MetLife in IL. The rate, believe it or not, was nearly the same as my leased C300 Mercedes that I'm turning in Thursday after 4 years. Go figure. I called Liberty Mutual and they wanted close to $500 more per year. Male driver 40, no accidents, auto debit, etc. I was quite surprised given some of the quotes users are posting here.

So what is the best insurance company out there for Tesla Owners?
there is no consensus on a best company, rates are so individualized that what one person pays with a company cannot be used as a yardstick for what someone else can expect to pay. the best advice is not to seek out what others pay, instead do a lot of shopping around for the best rate that you can find.

Reactions: ahkahn
THEN think about price. Cheap insurance that doesn't get your car fixed is a bigger ripoff then a higher rate.

I agree, however the price differential was so significant we ended up leaving our very good AAA service. I had made several claims with them, with zero issues - great company. But when I added the Tesla to the policy, I was paying $4700 a year. The majority of which was the premium for the Tesla. When we got the 2nd Tesla, I didn't even want to know how much I would be paying (I am guessing over $6k per year). Most of the other highly rated companies were giving quotes in the same ballpark and I am not eligible for USAA.

So when I got a policy from Ameriprise with more coverage for TWO Teslas for less than we paid for ONE Tesla with AAA, I had to bail. Yes, I fully expect a hassle every single time I make a claim, but for at least $2k a year savings, I figure I can bank that $$ and use it to deal with the extra time off / rental coverage, hassle, etc of a painful claim. If I go a couple years without a claim, I will have a lot of $$ in the bank to offset that slow painful claims process.

Reactions: ucmndd
I also found the best deal (with higher coverage, 250/500/250) with Ameriprise through Costco. Recommend you check into them, they seem like a decent company, and are recommended by Costco (not saying this makes them better) but it is good enough for me, and just hope I do not need to file a claim any time soon to discover how well or bad their Service may be.

• Helpful
Reactions: ironwaffle
I have had Wawanesa for several years and when I added new S it was lower than the CNG Civic I replaced. Comparing Insurance Quotes is like comparing tax refunds! Too many variables ...just for the heck of it I got quote from Tesla Preferred, I believe Liberty Mutual is the company they send you to...the rough quote was double what I'm currently paying!!

I’ve priced my P85 with several insurance companies but at the end of the day State Farm is within a couple hundred a year of the cheapest option for me since I bundle the auto with my home, umbrella, and earthquake. If it were just Auto as a stand-alone State Farm was much more expensive.

Did anyone notice their Tesla Model S insurance premium increased recently? My doubled from $500 for 6 months to $1k. 21st century said it was due to re-adjustment made by the national Auto Insurance people (whoever they are) and not 21st Century.... does this sound right?

Did anyone notice their Tesla Model S insurance premium increased recently? My doubled from $500 for 6 months to $1k. 21st century said it was due to re-adjustment made by the national Auto Insurance people (whoever they are) and not 21st Century.... does this sound right?

Ours just went up 20% ~ $150 with Geico... i was pretty surprised too.. My renewal is due end of month.. no accidents or claims ..

• Informative
Reactions: sundaymorning
Cheap insurance that doesn't get your car fixed is a bigger ripoff then a higher rate.
I dunno. You know with absolute certainty that a bunch of $$$s are flowing out of your wallet each year, whereas you can only hope that if you need them they will provide good service. I don't think it is reasonable to expect any kind of insurance, not just auto, to totally smooth over any hazards in your life; "catastrophe protection" is a more realistic expectation, IMO, and there's no need for that to be so expensive.
Keep in mind, also, that the main reason we have auto insurance is so that if we hit someone else they don't bankrupt us.

I’ve priced my P85 with several insurance companies but at the end of the day State Farm is within a couple hundred a year of the cheapest option for me since I bundle the auto with my home, umbrella, and earthquake. If it were just Auto as a stand-alone State Farm was much more expensive.
I'm with SF, too, and currently in the middle of dealing with a major Tesla claim with them. It has not been pretty, though it looks like when the dust settles they are going to pay. The shop tells me they routinely get a lot of grief from SF, and that a number of shops around the country won't work on SF claims at all. So far, their rates have been really good -- so good that I fear they're based on SF underestimating the actual cost of insuring Teslas (and this partly explains why they argue so much with the repair shops) and that soon they will "wake up" and realize they need to jack these premiums way up.

At the risk of stating the obvious: when you're insuring your Tesla, GET THE MAXIMUM AVAILABLE RENTAL COVERAGE! Tesla repairs take a long time and you will likely max out whatever coverage you have.

I feel lucky - added p85d only $410 / 6 month (with many other cars already on my policy).
Progressive, middle aged male, no tickets, living outside of GR in Michigan. 250k/500k bodily and uninsured with $1k deductible - no rental rider/coverage needed.

Sad part was I was with AAA for 25 years before progressive and liked AAA (even got the silver bumper sticker and keychain they send you at 25 yr membership) and left for >25% reduction from progressive. When I called AAA to cancel service they never even asked why I was leaving or put me into a retention process / feedback.

Last edited:

Just got my renewal for Mercury and it did not go up. Paying $960/6-months in OC, so it looks like 21st raised their rates to match Mercury. We have 250/500K and 100K uninsured motorist, multiple cars and house.

• Informative
Reactions: SnowFlyer