Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance renewal in 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The sheer fact that emailing to say, I don't wish to renew and getting a reply back with "we've looked at your policy and can offer you this better price" just proves to me how scummy insurance companies actually are.

If they had offered me that price from the off, I actually would have renewed as its like £3 cheaper than the company I ended up going with after doing the comparison round up.
I've had similar experiences in the past and have never accepted their second offer even, on occasions, when it has cost me a few quid.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
It’s a simple game you need to play every year. I’ve been with admiral for coming up for 10y and it goes like this:

- renewal comes in, usually around 30% higher than prior year.
- I spend 20 mins doing price comparisons and often find they are one of the cheapest within the mix and very close to the prior year. Sometimes cheaper.
- I call admiral and explain the above.
- while on the phone they reduce the premium to at least the cheapest quote I can find or often cheaper.
- deal done for another year.

It is annoying but how they make their money. Hoping that people are either stupid or lazy (in my experience of a lot of the population, usually both) and just auto renew.

This year was a bit of an exception where my multicover jumped almost 20% covering 2 cars and house. Still cheapest I could get and reckon due to new pricing rules.

Hey ho..

It’s a simple game you need to play every year. I’ve been with admiral for coming up for 10y and it goes like this:

- I spend 20 mins doing price comparisons and often find they are one of the cheapest within the mix and very close to the prior year. Sometimes cheaper.
- while on the phone they reduce the premium to at least the cheapest quote I can find or often cheaper.

It is annoying but how they make their money. Hoping that people are either stupid or lazy (in my experience of a lot of the population, usually both) and just auto renew.

This year was a bit of an exception where my multicover jumped almost 20% covering 2 cars and house. Still cheapest I could get and reckon due to new pricing rules.

Hey ho..
Except it unfortunately doesn't work like this for everyone. My scenario -

all of the above applies, apart from the bit where they come back and make a meaningful reduction, in my case they knocked off £100 and were generous enough to agree to a further £10 reduction if I decided I wanted to remove the named driver on the policy, which wasn't an option.

Hopefully the above launches and Tesla take the insurance in house as opposed to the current outsourcing to Direct Line.

Except it unfortunately doesn't work like this for everyone. My scenario -

all of the above applies, apart from the bit where they come back and make a meaningful reduction, in my case they knocked off £100 and were generous enough to agree to a further £10 reduction if I decided I wanted to remove the named driver on the policy, which wasn't an option.

Hopefully the above launches and Tesla take the insurance in house as opposed to the current outsourcing to Direct Line.
Guess I should have signed off with YMMV…

Hi,
If we have provided own another car ( insurance with different company) and total of 2 cars including the new Tesla as details while buying new car insurance, and later ( may be in a month) sell the old car, do we have to inform the new insurance company that I have sold the old car and there is only one car now?
As there is premium difference if I don’t mention I own another car while buying new insurance

Clearly there are a list of factors that affect the quotes we get most of which can't be changed BUT what seems clear is that there is no agreement between insurance companies on 'weighting' between this factor or that (which is crazy as they must all have the same data and so logically should all come up with the same algorithm). The only questions I have are:
1. Which company is the current favourite?
2. Which companies are not on the 'compare' sites?
3. Which companies (if any) give a better quote by going to them direct (cut out the compare sites)?
4. What can I do to make it cheaper e.g. pay for a tracker or will the cost of the tracker be more than the saving?

Mine is up im March and I know it is going to be days of painfull searching.

Looks like we’re also getting bashed with the crazy insurance renewal. Our first year was around £400, second year £600 and now they want almost £1100.

We’re getting stuffed by expensive claims due to lack of parts, I feel.

Tesla is Group 50 - the highest group there is. We can wonder and speculate on why it is group 50 but either way - the insurance is still a lot more for the Tesla than other Group 50 cars . . . . .. WHY???
The most likely reason has been mentioned several times in this thread - poor parts availability (leading to protracted repair times and therefore expensive replacement car costs).

Tesla is Group 50 - the highest group there is. We can wonder and speculate on why it is group 50 but either way - the insurance is still a lot more for the Tesla than other Group 50 cars . . . . .. WHY???
jeremy-clarkson-power.gif

and expensive parts + labour?

I went with Admiral last year for the first time as they were cheapest and it was the first couple of weeks of Model Y. Renewal came through this morning by email, up from £439 to £664, more than 50%. Quick call to them and made a couple of changes, reducing resale value (obvs as not new now and general price reduction) and mileage from £12k to £10k as have done less than £8k to date. Plus a "discount" so reduced to £505. So still more than 10% increase but will probably accept that now.

Hi,
If we have provided own another car ( insurance with different company) and total of 2 cars including the new Tesla as details while buying new car insurance, and later ( may be in a month) sell the old car, do we have to inform the new insurance company that I have sold the old car and there is only one car now?
As there is premium difference if I don’t mention I own another car while buying new insurance
I Think they would research that if there was a claim and it would fall into their catch all non-disclosure rules and give them a reason to void the policy.