Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You have to be careful about this when getting quotes. I tried some "what if?" quotes to see how an accident of points would affect my premium. Next time I came to renew, the insurer flagged that I hadn't made them fully aware of my driving history until I explained myself!

They really shouldn’t be allowed to do this without actually verifying the quote submitted was from the actual person because there isn’t anything stopping people doing quotes using any name.

hi guys

I would like some advice on best provider to insure Tesla Model S

My car will park on the street as we live in a terrace with no drive in

Thanks
Nicola

My best quotes for a September 2019 M3 have been with my current insurer. They do an online quotation service. I've tried the usual confused.com comparethemarket.com and gocompare.com and all were more expensive. I live in Scotland, and my best FC cover with £500 excess was just over £210 for the year. I was referred to their underwriters for a Tesla M3 quotation, they came back with the same rating for all M3 Teslas, regardless of the performance of the car. Pity I can't afford the Performance Model 3. i also enquired about a Model S and the rating is the same for all "Tesla" cars, which I though was a bit strange.

The excess insurances I've seen will only pay out if the claim exceeds the excess.. so if you have an £850 excess and you do £800 of damage they will not pay out.

It's also unbelievably hard to find them as google only returns car hire excess policies..

With “bestprice.co.uk” they say:
This Personal Motor Excess Insurance will reimburse the value of your excess under your motor policy, or the sum of £1000 (Whichever is less) in respect of each claim paid under your motor insurance policy which occurs within the territorial limits arising as a result of:
 fire, theft, attempted theft, flood vandalism or an accident that was your fault or partially your fault; or
 where you have been unable to recover your excess from a liable third party within a six month period of the date of claim.

• Informative
Reactions: davidmc
One to note if you do want Legal cover included

Churchill want £29.99 for £100k cover, a google search finds a few that offer this for £9.99

1 - Motor Legal Protection | Save money vs. your add-on policy
2 - Standalone Motor legal Protection Insurance - memonline 5 Star Cover

Also GAP insurance is not needed (This is what it reads to me) for the first year (Check policy of insurance before) Churchill will cover the total cost in the first year if its a new car and to only the first owner, to the full amount with a matching car if available.

Edit - noticed RAC also provide this - Legal Expenses Insurance | Cover for £15 a year | RAC

Last edited:
Reactions: Roy W.
One to note if you do want Legal cover included
Also GAP insurance is not needed (This is what it reads to me) for the first year (Check policy of insurance before) Churchill will cover the total cost in the first year if its a new car and to only the first owner, to the full amount with a matching car if available.
Correct but if you require it for years 2+ a lot of GAP cover will only provide you up to 90 days after you purchased, or ramp the price up for not purchasing straight away

• Informative
Reactions: Roy W. and davidmc
Thanks for this.

Had a look and they quote this - To qualify for GAP Insurance, your car must have been purchased in the last 180 days

From this one - Save money on your GAP Insurance Cover
I think it varies company to company, but yes in the case some people will think they are covered for the first year, to then try and get covered for the next few years to either find they can't or get a much bigger premium for doing so.

Reactions: davidmc