Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No haggle....Compare the market.....LV comes up as lowest quote....Non import, non thatcham approved alarm, excess compulsory £500 voluntary nil,right hand drive protected no claims,no tracker,legal cover,spouse on insurance if applicable,10,000 mile SDP.If you go to LV direct the quote is MORE and they struggle.The performance and LR AWD have the SAME quote - thats odd though.The lady I spoke to at LV after compare the market search had to google the car and google Tesla and fell in love with car .....
Go to CTM and refill in and tweak it
This worked for me, £350 for 16k miles. I said there was a tracker, you can track the car from your phone (as can Tesla). Otherwise much the same as you. Do not forget 180 days use in Europe included at no extra cost. DL charge heavily for that. Given that I have doubled my insured mileage, pretty similar to my previous insurance for an (older) Audi A8.

This worked for me, £350 for 16k miles. I said there was a tracker, you can track the car from your phone (as can Tesla). Otherwise much the same as you. Do not forget 180 days use in Europe included at no extra cost. DL charge heavily for that. Given that I have doubled my insured mileage, pretty similar to my previous insurance for an (older) Audi A8.
I asked a friend who works for a well known insurance company - won't mention where - I asked her that is it worth getting a SLIGHT reduction on my property insurance as i have an alarm fitted - she told me don't tick the alarm box as if something happens and it's not set there could well be a problem - therefore I don't have a property alarm !

I agree. My Dad worked closely with insurance companies so passed on his experiences. Mainly, make sure there are no grey areas in your policy.

Basically, the insurers interpret the rules as they see fit - if you are unsure what rules they follow, its either in the policy document somewhere (sample often obtainable in advance) or you can ask. At best, you don't get a payout, at worse, you are not insured.

• Helpful
Reactions: Tonybvi
The recovery rate of the model 3 is somewhat higher than traditional cars due to it. In the UK I can only assume LV are using US data and the other insurers aren't so see 'expensive car = risk' and have massively higher premiums.

Stolen Tesla Recovery Rate Nearly 100%
Yes. I like particularly this clip from the article - "The key to recovery lies with the GPS tracking technology the company uses. As would-be thieves soon learn, it's difficult to hide a car that's constantly sending out a location signal." I think this very relevant to what an Insurance company would probably deem to mean by "Tracking"

I had trackers in previous cars and unless you pay up the annual subscription you were not entitled to the info. Plus one of the companies that installed went bust! Also. it was not easy to access info of the whereabouts of the car immediately because you had to go through a call centre - I never did successfully obtain a test location of any of my cars that were fitted with a tracker. Whether the Police had instant access to the information I'm not sure. The good thing about the Tesla app is that we all become the policeman - instantaneously! Far better and much more of a deterrent and better for insurance statistics and risk I am sure. :cool:

Was that through their website or through a comparison site?

I feel like I'm playing Wheel of Fortune each time I press 'get quote'.
I phoned LV direct as there website just kept whirling after I’d put the information in. The woman was very helpful, finding the quote then going away and having a chat with someone to confirm vehicle details. She gave me the quote reference so all I need is reg number and card for payment then I’m up and running.

Tesla, I note confirm that. But in the absence of a legal defintion of "tracker", I would say that if you can find out exactly where the car is from your phone, there is a tracker!
Its what the insurance company treats as a tracker that counts - just ask them and you will then know whether your will be covered or not when you need it most. If they say its got a tracker, get them to make a note on your file. A 5 minute phone call may save you from some very expensive grief.

When I had a tracker on a car in the past, it had to be an approved tracker otherwise it didn't count.

Reactions: Rob R