Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When looking for quotes and the sites mention "modifications" do you need to list if you added anything extra eg non-standard color, FSD etc?

I think not, as thats how you ordered it from the factory. Usually that question is reserved just for things like body modifications (spoilers, wide body, etc) or changes to the cars mechanicals (new turbo, lowered springs, etc.) that you or any other owner has done that would differ from the factory specification/condition of the car. It will increase your premium.

I think on MoneySupermarket they have a thing on there that explains what they class as a modification:

Screenshot 2021-09-10 at 13.25.50.png

Reactions: melduk
I assume that the autopilot camera recording counts as dashcam as far as insurers are concerned. But since the car and presumably Tesla know it's location does that count as a tracker?
Always best to ask your insurer but the justification I read for it not being insurance approved was that the Tesla location only updates when the wheels are moving. So if someone sticks your car on a flatbed, it won’t update its position.

Reactions: moodel_tree
I think not, as thats how you ordered it from the factory. Usually that question is reserved just for things like body modifications (spoilers, wide body, etc) or changes to the cars mechanicals (new turbo, lowered springs, etc.) that you or any other owner has done that would differ from the factory specification/condition of the car. It will increase your premium.

I think on MoneySupermarket they have a thing on there that explains what they class as a modification:

View attachment 707466
Thanks for the reply. Yeah I did actually see MoneySupermarket's and thought the same as you. Then I read GoCompare's and it said "manufacturer's standard specification", not original.

Which made me think I needed to list them 🤷‍♂️.

Screenshot 2021-09-11 at 12.49.41.png

I don't know if it's just me but aside from my insurance quotes coming in at £1000 + For M3 SR+ 10yrs protected no claims (1 fault 1 non fault) no points, London address. But excess is like £1300 38 years old. whyyyy? Never had excess so high.

I don't know if it's just me but aside from my insurance quotes coming in at £1000 + For M3 SR+ 10yrs protected no claims (1 fault 1 non fault) no points, London address. But excess is like £1300 38 years old. whyyyy? Never had excess so high.

For a policy that seems reasonable, but for excess, thats just insane. Didn't think insturance companies would let you go so high?! I was always capped at £500.

Have you tried all the comparison sites? GoCompare and Compare The Market were about £100 more than my final quote with Confused.com (which was about £850). Excess I think was £750.

I have a quick question, or two...

1. So, I have a quote saved on DL. I have a reg for my car, but Tesla won't be registering the car until collection day. Do I have to ring DL in order to buy the quote and give them the reg over the phone? Their website won't accept a manual reg entry, even though the page responds as if it will. But once the quote is generated, it won't let you proceed as the car details cannot yet be verified with the DVLA - duh!

2. If I don't ring above and instead wait for the day of collection to buy the insurance, on their website it says that the quote could become invalid because the model that the reg is assigned to could change. Given that DL have two identical buttons (see image below) for a Tesla Model 3 LR on their system, could this bite me in the arse? As I would then be left having to get a new quote on the day of collection, in which I'm sure they'll jack up the rates.

My quote(s) are valid until the 5th of October at the moment, with the cheapest generated today - which is suprising as its not in the 'golden' window at all.

Screenshot 2021-09-17 at 14.51.02.png

I'm quite happy that I've got the quote down to just £2,500 😭 having taken out a contents insurance policy this morning, as DL were also the cheapest there too, it knocked around £300 off the car quote.

I have a quick question, or two...

1. So, I have a quote saved on DL. I have a reg for my car, but Tesla won't be registering the car until collection day. Do I have to ring DL in order to buy the quote and give them the reg over the phone?
Phone them, use the reference number from the web page to buy the insurance with the reg you already know. If you tell them it won't be registered until that day they'll be fine with it. The person on the phone will sort out any other issues. Then you're good to go on the day.
If you are really unlucky and reject the car or the reg number gets changed then you'll have to ring up and make an alteration - there may be a small charge for this - probably around 0.04% the cost of the car but maybe free as you haven't actually used the policy.

I'm quite happy that I've got the quote down to just £2,500 😭 having taken out a contents insurance policy this morning, as DL were also the cheapest there too, it knocked around £300 off the car quote.
Ouch, I assume you're very young, live in a war zone and haven't been able to build up a decent no claims.
Compare the meerkat found me the best price less than 1/3rd what DL quoted.

Ouch, I assume you're very young, live in a war zone and haven't been able to build up a decent no claims.
Compare the meerkat found me the best price less than 1/3rd what DL quoted.
Thanks for the info, will have to give them a bell next week then! Was hoping to avoid that hahah

London I think. I have 8 years NCD, no claims or points. West London, late 20‘s. DL were the cheapest by far unfortunately, only Churchill were similar but they are one of the same really. Golf R was the same price when I had it, so I’m getting more car for the money. Only been down here a year and a bit, I’m a born and bred northerner and used to pay at max £400 on the R. It’s nutty.

Thanks for the info, will have to give them a bell next week then! Was hoping to avoid that hahah

London I think. I have 8 years NCD, no claims or points. West London, late 20‘s. DL were the cheapest by far unfortunately, only Churchill were similar but they are one of the same really. Golf R was the same price when I had it, so I’m getting more car for the money. Only been down here a year and a bit, I’m a born and bred northerner and used to pay at max £400 on the R. It’s nutty.
Literally must be because you are in London.

I am in late 20s, have the exact same 8 years NCD, no claims or points.

Live in Nottingham. My quotes have been coming out at around £700-£800. I ended up going with Admiral.

Has anyone used Bell insurance? (part of the admiral group) the cheapest quote I had for a model 3 LR was £559 which seems reasonable.
I think we would have to have a black box fitted, which if it makes it cheaper I'm happy as I'd say I'm a fairly sensible driver.

Next quote is with Churchill £627 so for the sake of £68 I guess it might be worth sticking with a known company especially if I can phone them up to try and get a %5 reduction if I tell them the car has autopilot if that discount still works?

"Black box insurance
A car insurance policy based on your driving style, also known as telematics. A device is typically fitted in your car and the way you drive is reported back to your insurer, with safer driving rewarded with reduced premiums."