Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Insuring a Tesla is rather like playing hopscotch in a mine field.. you never know what the result is going to be.
We have a 2 car policy with LV,
Both over 65, clean licences, no accidents in the last 5 years. Postcode SP5
NFU and Aviva quoted well over £1000 with £1000 excess. Clearly don't want the business.
LV was the best...
Tesla £262.53, including business use by me. Wife SDP only.
C43 Coupe 299.07, three drivers and no business use.

Reactions: Tomb300 and Erol
To be 100% accurate its not that DL don't want to insure A tesla its that they don't want to insure YOUR Tesla/you 🤔
Clean licence, 6 years no claims, off street parking, I’m In Surrey (good area), wife added in (clean licence and no claims). Seems all good to me!
And the fact the advisor said there has been a few calls exactly the same it seems VERY strange. Had a quote in June no problem 🤔

Clean licence, 6 years no claims, off street parking, I’m In Surrey (good area), wife added in (clean licence and no claims). Seems all good to me!
And the fact the advisor said there has been a few calls exactly the same it seems VERY strange. Had a quote in June no problem 🤔
I'll bet it's an IT issue between them and the underwriters, happens all the time. Try gain tomorrow after the next batch process has run :)

Reactions: Erol
Hi all,

Has anyone had an issues getting a quote though Direct Line? I had a quote when I was playing around when first ordering the car in June. Now I have the reg and delivery date of 11th Sept I thought I would try again to get an updated quote. Online it says '

We're sorry!​

We can't give you a quote for car insurance based on information you’ve given us.'

I have just called DL and spoke to an advisor who went through all the details and tried again and he said it looks like DL are not insuring these Tesla's at the moment (M3LR). He said I am not the first person he has had the conversation with this week and sometimes they stop and then restart the insurances for some cars but couldn't give me a date when they will start again.

All very strange especially when DL and Tesla work together and it is stated on their website!!
That's an odd one, i've just got off the phone with them and have set my policy up to swap to the new car on collection day with no issues at all.

Reactions: Erol
Insuring a Tesla is rather like playing hopscotch in a mine field.. you never know what the result is going to be.
We have a 2 car policy with LV,
Both over 65, clean licences, no accidents in the last 5 years. Postcode SP5
NFU and Aviva quoted well over £1000 with £1000 excess. Clearly don't want the business.
LV was the best...
Tesla £262.53, including business use by me. Wife SDP only.
C43 Coupe 299.07, three drivers and no business use.
Agreed. I found LV best. 2 car policy (M3LR with AB and Zoe iGT), with my wife and son (1 claim) on both cars ~£500, though the tesla excess is £500!

Done some shopping around tonight, its gonna sting!
  • 7yrs NCD
  • no accidents/history
  • 8k miles per year
  • £500 excess (max, did make enough of a difference)
  • me as the only driver (as adding another increased it suprisingly, across the board)
  • social only
  • street parked day/night
  • paying annually
  • good profession
  • London based (I really, really hate this being a northerner most of my life and paying like £400/yr for my Golf R)
Checked on...
  • DirectLine
    • £1.8k/pa
    • £500 excess
    • Spotty extra coverage; e.g. legal
  • MoneySupermarket
    • Avg. £2.1k/pa
    • £500 excess
  • Churchill
    • £2.1k/pa
    • £500 excess
  • LV
    • £4.2k/pa
    • £500 excess
    • Big no
Think I'm just going to go with DirectLine! I really, really do hate the London insurance prices. I moved down here because of my partner and large wage increases after both of us living up north all our lives. We've both said its not a long term, its just too expensive. The wage increase has been 2-3x but things like this and rent/house prices really do make it utterly stupid.

And I was spitting feathers cos mine's gone up 15% and checking all sites and options they were all much the same. Considering they'd have paid out so little with the covid traffic...
Mind you have you seen how mad traffic is now - worse than before the pandemic?

And I was spitting feathers cos mine's gone up 15% and checking all sites and options they were all much the same. Considering they'd have paid out so little with the covid traffic...
Mind you have you seen how mad traffic is now - worse than before the pandemic?
I was shocked that my "renewal" with Churchill was £50 cheaper than last year - I just went with it as I couldn't be bothered re-entering all the details on all the websites and Churchill had been the cheapest (£335 p/a) the year before! Which for a 36 year old - compared to what others had been quoted is amazing :)

Hi all,

Has anyone had an issues getting a quote though Direct Line? I had a quote when I was playing around when first ordering the car in June. Now I have the reg and delivery date of 11th Sept I thought I would try again to get an updated quote. Online it says '

We're sorry!​

We can't give you a quote for car insurance based on information you’ve given us.'

I have just called DL and spoke to an advisor who went through all the details and tried again and he said it looks like DL are not insuring these Tesla's at the moment (M3LR). He said I am not the first person he has had the conversation with this week and sometimes they stop and then restart the insurances for some cars but couldn't give me a date when they will start again.

All very strange especially when DL and Tesla work together and it is stated on their website!!

Try on the 1st of September - it might (I'm just guessing here) be down too them having already insured what they consider "too many" Tesla's in your area.

• 7yrs NCD
  • no accidents/history
  • 8k miles per year
  • me as the only driver (as adding another increased it suprisingly, across the board)
  • social only
  • paying annually
  • good profession
  • London based (I really, really hate this being a northerner most of my life and paying like £400/yr for my Golf R)
Checked on...
  • DirectLine
    • £1.8k/pa
    • £500 excess
  • MoneySupermarket
    • Avg. £2.1k/pa
    • £500 excess
  • Churchill
    • £2.1k/pa
    • £500 excess
  • LV
    • £4.2k/pa
    • £500 excess
    • Big no
Think I'm just going to go with DirectLine! I really, really do hate the London insurance prices. I moved down here because of my partner and large wage increases after both of us living up north all our lives. We've both said its not a long term, its just too expensive. The wage increase has been 2-3x but things like this and rent/house prices really do make it utterly stupid.

I live in London and my Direct Line insurance for 30k miles a year, off street parking, cost me about £1100...and I got £40 back for having FSD, but they charged me £40 when I told them I am getting Tints. I did visit Direct Line website via the Tesla, not sure if that makes any difference as opposed to visiting the Direct line website direct.

On another note, I wanted to get my car front PPF'd, but when I called Direct Line, they said they will cancel my insurance if I do. They just don't allow any types of film or wraps :(

I was shocked that my "renewal" with Churchill was £50 cheaper than last year - I just went with it as I couldn't be bothered re-entering all the details on all the websites and Churchill had been the cheapest (£335 p/a) the year before! Which for a 36 year old - compared to what others had been quoted is amazing :)
For the first time in my life, and I’m not young anymore, I’ve a renewal quote that is cheaper than the previous year.

This was from Churchill as well, but only about £11 cheaper. I’ll probably renew as well without looking.

Previous companies have tended to put it up quite a lot. I had one quoting £1300 for an Alfa Romeo in the past to renew it and as a new customer it was £350. I got it for £350 but they stuck it up again the following year so I gave up and moved.

Just got my renewal through from Churchill and £19 cheaper :), For my own sanity did a not so quick check using the meerkat and the best offer was £200+ more expensive... Happy days and to echo @Stuart1714 XP this is the first time in my driving history (20+ years) that a renewal quote is cheaper than the previous year. Next years renewal I am due 6 pts to drop off my lic, so hopefully the trend continues :)

• 7yrs NCD
  • no accidents/history
  • 8k miles per year
  • social only
  • paying annually
  • good profession
Checked on...
  • DirectLine
    • £1.8k/pa
    • £500 excess
  • MoneySupermarket
    • Avg. £2.1k/pa
    • £500 excess
  • Churchill
    • £2.1k/pa
    • £500 excess
  • LV
    • £4.2k/pa
    • £500 excess
    • Big no
With the greatest of respect - London wages don't come with zero downsides. The benefits of working in London, money wise, are offset and sometimes eclipsed by the costs of living in or around London. It's not something for nothing.

Having said that, some of the quotes are clearly the companies not wanting your business.