Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just come to renew my insurance too for the 1st September, Churchill had increased the premium from £470 to £590, was about to tell them to jog on until I shopped around. Everyone else was £1200 to £2000! What the heck is going on! Nothing has changed except another years NCB!

I've read of a few people who have had their Churchill premium drop this year (including mine) ... so this increase is strange ... might be worth a call.

I've read of a few people who have had their Churchill premium drop this year (including mine) ... so this increase is strange ... might be worth a call.
I've just renewed with Churchill, no claims , no points but a 20% increase in the premium.

Shopping around, still by far the cheapest though, no one else was anywhere near this year, so have just had to pay up...

Reactions: moodel_tree
I've just been through a Churchill renewal.
Last year my first year cost £429 from 7th September 2020
Prior to receiving a renewal letter for this year I shopped around and Churchill's new customer quote for my car was £812 inc NC protection.
(Direct line was £844 and LV wanted £515)
Renewal letter turned up and, with no changes to the policy, the cost was the same as last year - to the penny! :)

Reactions: Sinx and Adopado
I've been quoted just over £2k (with £400 excess) with DL via the Tesla link for my M3 LR (yet to be delivered). No points, 8yrs NCD, West London, late 20's.

TBF my Golf R 7.5 that pre-dated it was ~£1700. So annoyed, when I was living up north I used to pay <£400 for my Golf R insurance. Its lunacy.

I'm trying to put pressure on Tesla to give me the car details, as I really need to hit that 3 week golden zone. I can't be insuring on the day at these rates...

You can agree a quote and have it fixed for up to a month with Churchill. You just let them have the reg when you get it ... on collection day if you really have to wait that long.

Thanks, that's what I intend to do, so its good to have some confirmation on that. Although I now need a delivery date before I can firm up starting to look at quotes haha without one I can only make guesses as to when to start the quotes process to hit the optimal window.

My real NCD is actually probably over 25yrs but I can't see how I could prove that and 9+yrs is how my last insurer describes it.
A number of insurers check NCD via database automatically now, the others will take new customers' word on it and only challenge if worth doing so after a claim is filed. Insurers generally only discount up to 5 years, some 9, a very few 15 - with a decaying exponential tapering percentage rate. In your case the annual mileage is likely the biggest pricing factor. The spoiler impacts because of the actuarial models and the inclusive hit from having a 'modification'.

Reactions: Sinx
In your case the annual mileage is likely the biggest pricing factor.

Interesting!

Stupidly - as the penny has just now really dropped - I've always done this to the maximum mileage of the finance agreement my cars have been on, mainly to maximise the amount of miles I could realistically then use the vehicle for and be covered. So in this case 10k/mi, my previous Golf R was 8k/mi.

But realistically, if I look back over the years, I only really use between 6,000-8,000 miles a year if that. I only use the car for social use; seeing family once every other month (if that, 300mi), trips out on a weekend (25-100mi), staycations (1,000mi once or twice a year), etc. I must average 400-600 miles a month, maybe less if its not an active month.

I should really look at dropping that in my quotes to a realistic mileage, should help with my premiums, no? Are there any major penalties to upping it throughout the policy? (other than raising the premium for the remaining term)

Model 3 Performance with EAP and Dash Cams £338.68 with LV, just renewed.

I got a £40 discount after they entered my Driving Licence number into the system. So if you're getting a quote of LV, make sure you quote your driving licence. I also like LV, staff are Uk based and friendly, and they do try to help.

Cheapest I can get is around £550 with Churchill. That’s with 10y NCD. I suspect it’s the 2 non-fault accidents in the past 5 years which are shafting me. Unmarked police car hit me in the rear at a roundabout and an HMRC auditor hit my car in the work car park!

• Funny
Reactions: Adopado
Cheapest I can get is around £550 with Churchill. That’s with 10y NCD. I suspect it’s the 2 non-fault accidents in the past 5 years which are shafting me. Unmarked police car hit me in the rear at a roundabout and an HMRC auditor hit my car in the work car park!

Crikey, that's a rare combination. If you spot a TV detector van beware ... they'll be out to get you too! (Do these vans even exist any more? Perhaps just as a cover for their monitoring of @sparkymark75 !)

• Funny
Reactions: Roy W.