Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the greatest of respect - London wages don't come with zero downsides. The benefits of working in London, money wise, are offset and sometimes eclipsed by the costs of living in or around London. It's not something for nothing.

Having said that, some of the quotes are clearly the companies not wanting your business.

I knew that before heading down here, budgeted and all, not like I dove in all wide eyed and naive 😂 doesn't mean I still can't complain about being fleeced...

TBF the only costs that are higher are rent and car insurance. Everything else has been the same in terms of cost of living. Its just when you have a harsh contrast to living up north for so long, it does sting. Still manage to save much more down here despite one or two costs being insanely inflated.

My career is primarly remote anyway, so it was mainly for my partners career. We are planning to go back north in the next year or so anyway as the cost benefit just isn't there.

Reactions: Durzel
M3 LR
I'm in south London in my mid 40s with max no claims and unfortunately 3 points for an SP50 2 years ago
Cheapest Churchill at ~£850, LV comes in at £1600 ish
But if I change my address to my old one in Bournemouth then LV is £650 and Churchill is £750

So it looks like LV care far more about your location than Churchill do

Reactions: moodel_tree
LV tried to charge £650 compared to £600 last year, when I rang them, they reversed it back to ~£600. I then added 20k miles annually, which itself added £120 to the premium.

Comparing Meerkats brought in a range from £620-£2500 (and the highest quote wanted to fit telematics as well - they can jump!)!

How strange! That's always the risk in doing more quotes tho... it could get cheaper, but more likely it will get more expensive 😂
So it wouldn't let me take out the Churchill policy online, probably because it didn't recognise the licence plate. So I called them and by the time they had ran through the quote again, it had dropped again to £429. That's a drop of around £200 in a month!

So it wouldn't let me take out the Churchill policy online, probably because it didn't recognise the licence plate. So I called them and by the time they had ran through the quote again, it had dropped again to £429. That's a drop of around £200 in a month!

🤨

They really do make it complicated to get the cheapest price... can't believe how tricky it is and risky it is to try and get the price as cheap as possible haha

New rules over fairness from the FCA start this month, along with even more changes in January.

This might be causing a few interesting quotes right now, they would want to ensure they are compliment well before the date that financial penalties would be dished out.

That's an odd one, i've just got off the phone with them and have set my policy up to swap to the new car on collection day with no issues at all.
Hi new here, first reply but I’m having issues. I collect my M3 LR on 22/09/21. I contacted Tesla yesterday to get my Reg and VIN numbers but none of the insurance companies recognise the plate. I contacted Tesla again and have been told that they don’t register the plate with DVLA until my collection day. That might be the issue you’re having

Hi new here, first reply but I’m having issues. I collect my M3 LR on 22/09/21. I contacted Tesla yesterday to get my Reg and VIN numbers but none of the insurance companies recognise the plate. I contacted Tesla again and have been told that they don’t register the plate with DVLA until my collection day. That might be the issue you’re having
errrr i've had no issue, my insurance is in place, they have the Reg and model etc - the insurance certificate has already arrived. I'm with Direct Line and just gave them the make and model with the new reg confirming it won't be active until collection day.

It takes time for the reg to show on the systems. Most companies should allow you to fix your price so long as you can confirm the reg on or before the start date.

This comes up frequently ... it must happen all the time with insurance for new cars but surprisingly often the person dealing with you on the phone fails to point out it can be done that way.
Yeah the person from my current insurance told that they can’t do anything until the car is registered with DVLA. I’ll call again see if I get a different response from someone else cheers

I'm big sad right now.

Did a fresh quote this morning at ~8am as I'm 23 days out. Realised I need to pop in my new address that we will have moved into by the time I collect my car.

My DL quote went from £1.8k to £2.8k.

I did another MoneySupermarket quote and Churchill 'only' went up to £2.5k....

This is just insanity for a perfect driving record and moving only a mile down the road into a more secluded street.

I'm seriously considering if its even worth it. I'm a car guy so I don't mind an extra spend on this stuff, but I hate insurers with a passion. We're looking to move out of London as soon as, its just really not worth it.

I'm also going to be checking nearer the time to see if it goes down at all.

I'm big sad right now.

Did a fresh quote this morning at ~8am as I'm 23 days out. Realised I need to pop in my new address that we will have moved into by the time I collect my car.

My DL quote went from £1.8k to £2.8k.

I did another MoneySupermarket quote and Churchill 'only' went up to £2.5k....

This is just insanity for a perfect driving record and moving only a mile down the road into a more secluded street.

I'm seriously considering if its even worth it. I'm a car guy so I don't mind an extra spend on this stuff, but I hate insurers with a passion. We're looking to move out of London as soon as, its just really not worth it.

I'm also going to be checking nearer the time to see if it goes down at all.
Hey

have you tried these guys “by miles” I read on a couple of different threads that people are using them to insure theirs Tesla’s. So I got a quote today and was very surprised ste the price totally slashed my current teocheapest

DL £725
LV £647
ByMiles £368

I’m going to call them tomorrow anyone used or using them an advice or suggestions for questions I should be asking them?

4FC4A63B-57BE-4CD2-8BF6-770E11683DF6.png
70C5FC66-B8C7-431C-ABD1-F97324A03ECD.jpeg
69FDBC86-EBCC-48F7-9F57-B1A8C55B8B48.jpeg
21F37A60-3717-4239-B0B3-1CA118894BE2.png
B4B6031E-575E-458D-8AA1-0A7444BC15B9.jpeg
2EDFFF4C-E369-4D29-AA1A-A4C65FAEB308.jpeg
DE741854-BF3A-4EA8-964E-F90BFAB455E3.jpeg
E1E54AD1-AD6C-4579-9ED8-57E44B5161B6.jpeg
A0043241-10B0-4EC8-9398-24B63CD72305.jpeg
48017B56-9CC2-47A6-B180-5630873D389B.jpeg