Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance with no Reg ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can't go through with an insurance policy without the reg. I think Tesla provide this 24-48 hours before collection.

You can, however, get a quote from an insurer without a reg (just enter the car details manually) which should remain active in their system for 30 days. So when you get the reg you can just recall the quote, enter the reg and activate the insurance.

That's what I have done, have an active quote with Direct Line ready for when I get the reg.

I can't help with the ferry though I'm afraid - perhaps ask the ferry company you were planning on booking with? Perhaps you could provide the reg before (on day of) departure.

Last edited:
I'm assuming that it is the same way that you do it if you buy a car from a dealer. At least it was for me.
No. In UK, normally when you buy a new car you know your reg long before delivery date and often get to choose it from a range that dealer gives you. For some reason, Tesla do it completely different and don't give you reg until 24 hours or less before and no option to choose. So you can't actually firm up your insurance or travel arrangements until 24 hours before pickup. To make matters worse, some insurers can't seem to quote as part of normal process without knowing the reg number, so you have to get the quote via other methods, ie phoning a special department which may have different pricing as its not been done online - shortfall in some insurance company processes.

Some people have said that they insured on Vin but thankfully our insurers would not as our Vin changed when we were actually taking delivery.

Just to add to the confusion (did anyone expect it to be clear cut when ordering a Tesla?)...

According to a post here (by @Andywil) they got a registration number in an email last week for their delivery mid-November, specifically to "sort out insurance". I think it's a lease though so might be more to do with the lease company pushing things along?

How long do people think it takes to sort out insurance ? I’ve done it plenty of times in the past and it takes all of 15 minutes even if you go in cold. So, worst case scenario is you wait until you are sat in the car at the collection centre then call them and do it then.

Alternative is you go to somewhere like compare the market enter the details putting the car in manually , get the reference number and then call the favoured insurance company with that reference number and ask them to change the details to the reg number you have.

Anecdotally it seems that insurance sweetspot for price is around 30 days before it’s needed. So we got quote when things started happening, ie Vin and worked with that. Conversely the more urgently you need insurance, the more likely that pricing will favour the insurers.
Not all model 3 insurers are on the brokerage price comparison web sites. And some (use to?) have dedicated Tesla departments that gave more favourable rates as the car is so new it’s a bit of an a la cart item.

Anecdotally it seems that insurance sweetspot for price is around 30 days before it’s needed. So we got quote when things started happening, ie Vin and worked with that. Conversely the more urgently you need insurance, the more likely that pricing will favour the insurers.
Not all model 3 insurers are on the brokerage price comparison web sites. And some (use to?) have dedicated Tesla departments that gave more favourable rates as the car is so new it’s a bit of an a la cart item.
According to research done by the MoneySavingExpert website, the sweet spot is 21 days before renewal or policy start.

Revealed: The best day to buy car insurance to slash costs by £100s/yr

• Informative
Reactions: Cwmwd
Are you booking a return ferry ?

(i.e. are you taking a car over to trade in ?)

If so book on the old reg, then when checking in on the oubound ask them to change the reg for the return journey. Thats what I did. Also don't forget both companies have 30 hour return tickets that are much cheaper (but you have to phone to get them).

If not then the Stena website says :

HOW DO I BOOK ONLINE WITHOUT THE CORRECT VEHICLE REGISTRATION DETAILS?

If you do not know your vehicle registration or you will be hiring a car, please enter “TBA” (To Be Advised) into the vehicle registration field. This will enable you to proceed with your online booking.

If possible please contact Stena Line once you know your vehicle registration, as this will avoid delays at the port.

I was phoned last week to confirm delivery on 1st November, and was given my registration number after I asked for it during that call.
So far it's not showing up on my account, I've not received any e-mails containing it, and no insurance companies seem to recognise it...

I don't actually think that they are normally registered until day of appointment. Thankfully ours was not as they had to do a last minute car swap. So they will not show up on various databases for a few days, including vehicle tax register.

Knowing reg for organising insurance is not a problem for most insurers - its a typical 'new car' problem. Just organise the insurance in advance on a tba vehicle plate so you can get the best deal and take stress out of the process, then when you know the reg plate, just phone up to accept the previously discussed quote and pay.

This also works if there is a last minute change of plan, as was the case with us. We kept the insured reg but vehicle and vin changed.