Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Intelligent Octopus charger failures

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has yours now stopped charging on its own once you connect the charger? Or does it restart charging according to the planned schedule?

I stop mine manually after plugging in and as long as a schedule subsequently appears it then follows said schedule fairly consistently.

If a schedule doesn’t appear for whatever reason and I know I’ll need the charge for the following day, I just switch the Tesla app to a scheduled start time for the one night.

Overall it’s been pretty consistent for me, with just the occasional hiccup.

Reactions: spdpsba
I’ve recently had a number of times where I’ve woken up to find that the car hasn’t changed overnight. Looking at the Octopus app I can see that it didn’t create a charge schedule. If I turn off “intelligent” charging and then back on again it’ll create a schedule. Anyone else seeing this?
welcome to the 'intelligent' club. Exactly the same problem for us on a regular basis for about 2 years. About 6 months ago, they recommended that we unpair the car from the PW and then re-pair it. I unpaired it and never bothered re-pairing. Just been doing a scheduled charge ever since.

I can't tell you how many hours and hours of time I've spent on the phone, writing emails, taking screenshots documenting the countless times we woke up to failed charging or the anxiety before a long drive (e.g. to the airport) where we absolutely HAD to have a charge and woke up several times a night to check it was still charging. Well, guess what. Not had any of that since I unpaired the car and charging works fine thanks very much.

Nothing 'intelligent' about it, particularly the fact that you can't actually talk to anyone in the IO team when you ring up.

I might kick them somewhere too with all the hassle I've had... yeesh
I'd just switch to Octopus Go in your situation. You get one less hour and it's marginally more expensive, you probably won't even notice the difference.

Octopus do make it very clear that Intelligent is a beta product and might break from time to time, and if I recall correctly you have to agree to all of that when you sign up.

That's the trade off, no point in stressing about it.

Attachments

• IMG_20240506_153627.jpg
    IMG_20240506_153627.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 5
Thanks Buddha, but those of us who haven't achieved perfection still get stressed waking up to zero charge when we're off to work, a hospital appointment, the airport, etc ... :rolleyes:
I've only had Intelligent Octopus fail to charge once, but a backup is to always set the charge schedule in the car to start charging at 23:30 when at home. If IO needs to add extra charge slots it'll override this, and if not you'll get at least six hours of electricity into the tank.

Reactions: thax1
Thanks Buddha, but those of us who haven't achieved perfection still get stressed waking up to zero charge when we're off to work, a hospital appointment, the airport, etc ... :rolleyes:
That's why I'm saying that you should transfer to Go instead of Intelligent. Then it wouldn't be a problem for you as Octopus wouldn't control your charging, and you'd still get very cheap electric rates, and you won't have to deal with Octopus getting annoyed with you for turning off their charging routines.

I'm trying to help. No need for the sarcasm.