Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interesting Reddit Topic: Honest talk time, what's the worst thing about the Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an order in for a p85D. That was one of the most honest posts I've read and I sincerely appreciate it. I gave to admit, at almost $150,000 for the car, I am quite concerned. Frankly, IifI can be blunt, I don't understand all this talk where owners say, "
"I will never go back to an ICE." Of course ICE vehicles can have their issues but for the most part they are extremely reliable.

Of course Tesla has to wait on us hand & foot & fix the cars with eagerness and a smile. If they don't, they will quickly stop selling cars and quickly go out if business. It's a smart business model.

I have to admit, my concern is the reliability. I really do expect a 99% reliable car they doesn't consume tires instead of oil, for this price tag.

I've tried to explain this to people but it's hard unless you've had a lot of time behind the wheel. Either ICE cars are so much more inferior or the model s is so much better. I submit it's a blend between the two. But the smoothness of the acceleration, the simplicity of just starting the car (getting in, that's it), one pedal driving, knowing that I am in control off how far the car can go (within reason), knowing that slowing down isn't just wasted heat and brake pads, the costs associated with operating the car (excluding purchase price of course), the prestige (admit it, we like the attention), furthering the environmental cause, the software updates, the intuitiveness of the controls/screen, the storage, the utility, the performance, the lack of hagleing over price, and maybe most importantly the service. You add all those up and there is a synergistic effect. That's what people mean when they say they won't go back to ICE.

And as far as your reliability concerns. I'll reiterate even though I know others have not been so fortunate. None of the two dozen "issues" I've had made the car undrivable yet.

As for the hefty price tag, that's the calculation each owner has to do themselves. What I was willing to pay and what you are willing to pay are based on the acceptance of these concerns in this thread and to some extent, all the other concerns on these forums.

Which leads us to regret. That is also something that probably isn't accurately represented on the forum since ex-owners would be unlikely to hang around. But I would submit the attrition is low. Is like to think my sample size of ownership being 5 months (in winter no less), allows me to say that I personally have no regrets at this time, and I would be extremely surprised to find myself behind the wheel of an ICE car as a daily driver. And even beyond that, my midlife crisis car, Supra, hasnt seen the road since the model s came.

Last edited:
The worst thing about owning a Model S is getting back into your gasoline powered car. No gasoline car at any price can duplicate the linear torque of a Model S. Sure, there's plenty of other things to like and dislike about the Model S, but the way the car applies torque to the wheels is what makes this car indispensable. In spite of a few growing pains, I think most Model S owners would be hard-pressed to go back to 20th century drivetrain technology again.

After a little thought about what my benchmark is regarding quality in luxury brands; Lexus (GS, LS, IS, LX, none of that Camry posing of the ES and RX), I came up with this on the fly:

The Tesla factory is currently occupied with the relentless pursuit of production. Where as the service center is occupied with the relentless pursuit of perfection. Now how successful can the latter be without the former being aligned is the result we see in the majority of the little things we all deal with; and perhaps even some of the bigger things as well.

As most of my problems have been very minor issues, I have very few concerns. In fact, my concerns -- some minor wind noise, a rattle here and there -- would have had me laughed out of an ICE dealership. But my SC took them very seriuously and did everything in their capacity to rectify them.

What I'm most grateful for is that I'm no longer ejecting poison into the atmosphere every day I drive. The continuing comnsuption of fossil fuels is nothing less than suicide for the human race and I don't want any part of it.

I cant stand the way the center console arm rest doesnt lock into position to cover the coffee cup holders...it constantly creeps back into the exposed position. Overall, they went cheap in the interior. $4500 upgrade for premium interior, yet all the door panels are still mostly plastic rather than the soft leather they claim - boo!

Interesting. My arm rests stay put and I use them all the time.

- - - Updated - - -

Worst thing about the car (post TACC models): lack of basic cruise control. If the TACC is disabled for various reasons (bad weather, sensors/radars blocked by ice snow dirt rain etc), the car has no cruise control at all available. That's probably he worst thing, besides the lack of cinchers in the cup holders rendering them useless.

This is interesting too. My cup holders have spring loaded cinchers too.

As most of my problems have been very minor issues, I have very few concerns. In fact, my concerns -- some minor wind noise, a rattle here and there -- would have had me laughed out of an ICE dealership. But my SC took them very seriuously and did everything in their capacity to rectify them.

What I'm most grateful for is that I'm no longer ejecting poison into the atmosphere every day I drive. The continuing comnsuption of fossil fuels is nothing less than suicide for the human race and I don't want any part of it.

^^^^ This. I don't recall ever having a car that was 100% trouble-free. Some were much better than others. My Model S falls in the much better category, and as Artsci says, Tesla service works very hard to fix any issues.

^^^^ This. I don't recall ever having a car that was 100% trouble-free. Some were much better than others. My Model S falls in the much better category, and as Artsci says, Tesla service works very hard to fix any issues.

Model S is also in my much better category. But while part of my minor concerns would have gotten me laughed out of an ICE dealership, the other half wouldn't have been issues at all to start because the factory would have caught them. One of my biggest long-term concerns is that the service centers are going to be burned-out or overwhelmed because the factory will use/abuse them, either intentionally or unintentionally, as a quality control/final-production step in the manufacturing process. And that just isn't what any service center should be for since at that point, you are spending the customers resources of time and patience alongside the service center's costs.

As for the poisonous gasses, not really a consideration for me. I defer to Colbert, "Get the environment before it gets you." I just wish my Model S could do more harm than it does.

- - - Updated - - -

Interesting. My arm rests stay put and I use them all the time.

- - - Updated - - -

This is interesting too. My cup holders have spring loaded cinchers too.

For the last time, these were removed in later models because you couldn't fit a coffee mug with a handle in them. Tesla center console FTW, I would never go back.

To be honest, some things:

(1) Touchscreen is pretty damn cool, but to adjust anything via manual controls having to look at the screen at 75MPH sucks. There are definitely some things that wrk better with physical dials. ( Yes I know you can use voice for many things.. but it's not as quick.

(2) Road noise. With no white noise coming off the engine you can really hear the road noise especially with the 21' rims. Interestingly enough I actually measured the cabin noise in my P85D and it's 56-60db at 40MPH all from road noise. At 75 it is 62-65db (Mostly wind at that time) . This is the same as my M3, but by golly it sounds louder because of the lack of the engine noise in the background. Something that takes time to get used to. I'll be looking to get some quieter tires when I use the current ones up.

(3) Interior could use a bit of an upgrade. It's pretty good... not as good as an equivalently priced german car though.

(3) Interior could use a bit of an upgrade. It's pretty good... not as good as an equivalently priced german car though.
And I think you know the reason for that. For an equivalent price you chose to have a battery and electric motor drivetrain and pay your share of the development of that and it's software, rather than choosing to have an ICE engine and a more luxurious interior. For me and most Tesla owners, the decision is a no brainer, but some still think they can have it all.

In order of my priority:

-Multimedia experience | Audio (cars at 1/3rd the price do a better job).
-Interior appointments (fit and finish) seems overly spartan with its appointments
-Lack of camera views. Like to see an isometric view of my car when I'm parking. The sonar view around the car is nice BUT it could be better.
-Lack of Apps. (I get the concerns here, its a slippery slope)

Worst thing about the car (post TACC models): lack of basic cruise control. If the TACC is disabled for various reasons (bad weather, sensors/radars blocked by ice snow dirt rain etc), the car has no cruise control at all available. That's probably he worst thing, besides the lack of cinchers in the cup holders rendering them useless.

To be honest, in those condition's you should be at you're most ready to respond, two hands on the wheel and direct control of your vehicles speed. I cringe when I watch videos of people laid way back in the seat like a low rider with one hand on the top/bottom of the wheel.....

lol, deleted my list and then posted.

I've had the chance to sit in a P85, said he had all the options at the time.

I was most disappointed in the quality of the interior (felt like China discount shelf, looked 'meh', some stuff didn't line-up (hopefully because it was an older model (P85))....)
2nd was the stereo, not only just the quality of the sound but the speaker's/door panel's rattled and vibrated. (pet-peeve)

I'm currently not an owner but I am saving for a Spring 2016 S85D delivery!

Last edited:
I've had my P85D for a month now, and I haven't had any problems with it. I have only one complaint: Lack of storage space. They really should have map pockets, or armrest storage.

I think it's neat that there's this nice open spot between the seats where an ICE transmission/driveshaft would normally be, but everytime I put something there, it slides around when I accelerate.

I figure once I can get a center console that matches my interior, I'll be 100% happy (right now, only 98% happy).

It hit me the other day, my wife. She's shorter than I am. She gets in, and the seat-back practically meets the steering wheel. When I use the car, I double over, reach in, first hit the memory icon, and then select between my wife, a separate setting (if I want to reach the screen while driving), and my favored seating position. The seat goes back, I go backward, then I get in.

The screen is so cool, it would be great if its proximity to the driver were better, or even adjustable? The seat memory buttons, well, if I were too cool to put them back on the door, I'd have the individual key fobs get the car's act together, the moment the handles present.

Just you wait until you crank that AC in the summer and the fans up front sound like a gerbil running around on a squeaky wheel.

Also, how is that chrome trim at the base of the windows (driver/passenger doors). Does it line up evenly across or is one higher/lower than the other?

See, I would expect these issues to be resolved over each production run, but as I said before, with each production run, it seems like every new batch of owners gets some more issues that are just their own.

Just you wait until you crank that AC in the summer and the fans up front sound like a gerbil running around on a squeaky wheel.

Also, how is that chrome trim at the base of the windows (driver/passenger doors). Does it line up evenly across or is one higher/lower than the other?

See, I would expect these issues to be resolved over each production run, but as I said before, with each production run, it seems like every new batch of owners gets some more issues that are just their own.

Tesla will replace the squeaky fans with a new version that just became available. I just had mine fixed last week finally.

Tesla will replace the squeaky fans with a new version that just became available. I just had mine fixed last week finally.

That's exactly what I mean about parts revisions, they are great. But its taken five months of my ownership to get there. And IIRC, the update part has been out for two months, but only new builds were getting them due to inventory concerns.

Believe me, I understand that on the one hand it's a first world problem, but on the other hand, we didn't spend X amount of dollars on this car so that we could deal with not only the problems themselves, but also the time/effort of getting them resolved.

Also, secret admission time. I think the service center is a super cool place and the people there are the best. I wish I had more problems so I could hang out there more. :)