Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interesting Trip - but not in Oz

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We just got back to Sunnyvale CA after a week long trip to Vegas, Grand Canyon, LA and back to Sunnyvale.
Added over 3,000 km to Tom's P85D. Was a good run except for a total car failure on day 1.

The lane holding (AP) doesn't work as well here as in Oz.

Good fun cruising down the freeways at 80 MPH plus.

Super chargers everywhere of course.

Total car failure?
Just after pulling out from Harris Ranch Supercharger, got:

IMG_2973.JPG

Died for about 10 mins; then Tesla had us drive to Monterey for a check. Took quite a few extra hours.

Gudday Ray,
I too had a hectic 2200+Km run from LA via Santa Barbara up to Fresno then onto Fremont( Factory tour) then onto to SF and then Santa Monica and back to LA then to San Diego and back to LA in 5 days mostly filled with work appointments. Road conditions were poor most of the trip- I can well understand why many Model S drivers in the states take 19" rims to get a bit of extra cushioning from the crappy road repaired surfaces.
We did hit a supercharger that wasnt running at full stick ( approx 50% output) ( Atascadero ) but didnt concern us much it was still 100% full when we got back from lunch at the bar.
I did discover the SF cops love to chase Model S drivers - gives them a red hot excuse to rip along. Turns out the cop wasnt pleased with my Aussie right hand turn in 4 turning lanes in the middle of nowhere.Luckily after using my standard defence--- Rrrr Gudday Mate How ya goinnnnnnn - in a deliberately long Australian drawl....I got the exact same response I got last time - Youre not from around these parts are you sir......... Net result No citations on this trip.!
Your right on the speed thing- we were the slow guys at 85 MPH avr. on the <99> midland from Frenso to Manteca. Totally different attitude to AUS. I find it interesting they have considerably less deaths for population by either total population of miles traveled per death than Australia and their general road surface quality is way worse than ours.. Hmmmmmmm makes ya wonder?

Gudday Ray,
I too had a hectic 2200+Km run from LA via Santa Barbara up to Fresno then onto Fremont( Factory tour) then onto to SF and then Santa Monica and back to LA then to San Diego and back to LA in 5 days mostly filled with work appointments. Road conditions were poor most of the trip- I can well understand why many Model S drivers in the states take 19" rims to get a bit of extra cushioning from the crappy road repaired surfaces.
We did hit a supercharger that wasnt running at full stick ( approx 50% output) ( Atascadero ) but didnt concern us much it was still 100% full when we got back from lunch at the bar.
I did discover the SF cops love to chase Model S drivers - gives them a red hot excuse to rip along. Turns out the cop wasnt pleased with my Aussie right hand turn in 4 turning lanes in the middle of nowhere.Luckily after using my standard defence--- Rrrr Gudday Mate How ya goinnnnnnn - in a deliberately long Australian drawl....I got the exact same response I got last time - Youre not from around these parts are you sir......... Net result No citations on this trip.!
Your right on the speed thing- we were the slow guys at 85 MPH avr. on the <99> midland from Frenso to Manteca. Totally different attitude to AUS. I find it interesting they have considerably less deaths for population by either total population of miles traveled per death than Australia and their general road surface quality is way worse than ours.. Hmmmmmmm makes ya wonder?
Ya - the lack of fatalities surprised me too; 1 per 60M miles for the world, 1 per 90M miles for USA and 1 per 130M miles (there being only 1) for autopilot. It must be time for Oz to take a holiday from speed limit enforcing; I wouldn't be game to travel at US (cruise on 130kph) speeds on Oz roads (I'm pretty low on points now).