Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interesting UK range test

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
both the Audi and EQC are not BEV platforms built from the ground up, they still have a gearbox transmission tunnel inside the cabin. This is another reason why they have poor range. The new Audi Q4 etron will be the first BEV platform built from the ground up similar to what VW are doing with the ID range

Even the model 3 is not the practical with the boot. Once the model y is released, it will sell like hot cakes and tesla will be a trillion dollar market cap company. It is reasonably priced. It even reduced it's price in China because it is cheaper to make. Which other manufacturers does that? Kudos to them.

Is there a UK price for Model Y? The price of the model 3 was reported as being about £26000 (exchange rate of 35000 dollars at the time) ... it didn't turn out quite like that ...;)

Yep, I got sucked in on that and ended up spending double. Started off seeing if we could keep it below 40k for a LR model, but when Tesla dropped LR AWD and removed non premium interior, it turned into 'what the hell'. SR just would not work for us 6 weeks a year and is still marginal.

Of course I should have said that the E-niro is virtually the same car as the Kona. Seems strange that it seems to be much harder to get hold of a Kona (massive waiting list) than a model 3...
Not much of a mystery really. M3 is made in much higher volumes than the Kona. Kona is massively supply constrained M3 is not.
Kona may even be a compliance car that means they loose money on it so only want to sell as many as needed to reduce their fleet CO2 to required levels. But that is pure speculation.

Is there a UK price for Model Y? The price of the model 3 was reported as being about £26000 (exchange rate of 35000 dollars at the time) ... it didn't turn out quite like that ...;)

it was reported by people who didn’t consider in America they price things before equivalent vat, so would be about 35k+7k sales tax meaning 42k usd which is around £35k after import taxes etc. still it didn’t happen but the sr+ rant far off

Reactions: Adopado
it was reported by people who didn’t consider in America they price things before equivalent vat, so would be about 35k+7k sales tax meaning 42k usd which is around £35k after import taxes etc. still it didn’t happen but the sr+ rant far off

Yes, I always anticipated a significant variance from the reported figure ... and that's certainly what we got! (My total guess is that a base Model Y might be around £60000 but that most variations will be well in excess of that.) I anticipate that for someone initially considering a Model 3 to then swap to a Model Y will be a significant step.

Anyway, what blows my "back of a fag packet" calculations and assumptions out of the water is that it appears most people nowadays don't really concern themselves too much with the headline price... so long as they can be offered a sustainable monthly payment that can be magically produced by the latest "clever" finance option i.e. "Step this way sir, let me tie you into a lifetime of expensive car buying without you ever having to worry about finally owning anything!"

20200116_143712.jpg
I am little confused by something, perhaps you can help. 100% charge and here is a screen shot after the journey. How can I have used 27 kwh and have only 53% battery, that doesn't compute on a 75 kWh M3P does it?

Those figures are consistent with each other so assume them to be correct.

Sentry, pre conditioning, idle, cold battery, comms etc etc all additionally use energy. An hours left with sentry could easily be couple of miles range loss. Pre conditioning far worse, a mile every 4-5 minutes or so. All could easily account for the missing 10% or so.

Also, not a wise thing to do regularly charging to 100%.

View attachment 500813
I am little confused by something, perhaps you can help. 100% charge and here is a screen shot after the journey. How can I have used 27 kwh and have only 53% battery, that doesn't compute on a 75 kWh M3P does it?
It may be 75Kwh battery but even Tesla have some reserved capacity surely? Probably not as much as others but some
https://electrek.co/2016/12/14/tesla-battery-capacity/
which means 100% is not really 75Kwh. Not sure if this explains all of your missing KWh but it will help

Only charged full twice since new, this was a test. 8/9kwh seems a little excessive for preconditioning, sentry and the like, that's a huge amount of energy to use behind the scenes and isn't consistency with rated range at all. Can't argue with the car but that's £1.46 I won't get back ;)

• Funny
Reactions: Roy W.
Yes, I always anticipated a significant variance from the reported figure ... and that's certainly what we got! (My total guess is that a base Model Y might be around £60000 but that most variations will be well in excess of that.) I anticipate that for someone initially considering a Model 3 to then swap to a Model Y will be a significant step.

Anyway, what blows my "back of a fag packet" calculations and assumptions out of the water is that it appears most people nowadays don't really concern themselves too much with the headline price... so long as they can be offered a sustainable monthly payment that can be magically produced by the latest "clever" finance option i.e. "Step this way sir, let me tie you into a lifetime of expensive car buying without you ever having to worry about finally owning anything!"
I think you’re going to be looking at 10% higher - £44k for a SR+, £55K for a LR and 60k for a performance. 60k should get you a pretty well kitted out car.

Reactions: KennethS
I think you’re going to be looking at 10% higher - £44k for a SR+, £55K for a LR and 60k for a performance. 60k should get you a pretty well kitted out car.

It would be nice to think that's how it will go ... let's hope so ... but my bet (and it's only a hunch) is that the 10% may well turn out to be based on an M3 Performance rather across the board from the SR upwards ... we'll see in due course! Big companies frequently spin their pricing in this kind of way, which is why I have my suspicions!

A Basic Model Y with 230 miles of range isn't going to be £60000. People are expecting Model Y to outsell the 3 by a huge margin and £60k isn't mass market by any means. Musk has already said (I know you can't trust everything he says) the the Y will start at $39k in the USA. That was when the 3 was supposed to be starting at $35k.
Joellys guess seems bang on to me.

If the Y starts at 60K I'll buy a nice hat and eat it...

Reactions: pow216
If the "10% more than a Model 3" comes from tesla then it's more logical to believe this and apply it to actual Model 3 sales prices than to look back on why the public underestimated UK Model 3 prices by not understanding the detail of tax, import costs etc.

They're also saying that their manufacturing advances, or just the benefit of a bit more experience, are making the Model Y production line cheaper and less problematic than Model 3 was. And the production line is essentially built. Reasons to be fairly optimistic, surely?

Will their Chinese built cars be sold outside the far East?

IIRC somewhere around 70% of parts are common between 3 and Y. As you say they should have learnt something from their production hell on the 3 and I believe Berlin will begin production with the Y not the 3 - although German costs aren't going to be low. Asking bats to move on isn't cheap.
I would imagine that GF4 will supply Europe but there ought to be some scope to move production from China - maybe?

Last edited:

One rule never to ask some one when they mention they just got a good monthly payment deal is “so how much is the total cost you paid?”

This trend is only getting bigger along with debt levels with the seemingly never ending amount of availability of credit available to everyone. Good for businesses not so good for people who end up with not having enough money left over at the end of the month, but isn’t that what overdrafts are for and then you can also use a debt consolidation loan after a while! I was a victim of this years ago :(