Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interior Ambient Light

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I checked on the beta that's visiting Boston -- there are ambient lights (controllable on/off from the touchscreen). There were lights in the front footwells and the doors -- I think, hard to tell on the doors, because it was bright enough to make it hard to tell.

Annoyingly, the "map lights" have their on/off from the touchscreen only; this is something I'd prefer to have on a manual button near the light.

Annoyingly, the "map lights" have their on/off from the touchscreen only; this is something I'd prefer to have on a manual button near the light.

I tried the map lights today as well, but at least the driver's went on/off with a push of the light itself (put your finger in the hole and push directly on the bulb covering). The passenger side didn't seem to work. That this worked seemed to take the Tesla rep by surprise as well. That is assuming the "map lights" are the small round lights in the headliner near the windshield. That's what the Tesla rep called them.

I tried the map lights today as well, but at least the driver's went on/off with a push of the light itself (put your finger in the hole and push directly on the bulb covering). The passenger side didn't seem to work. That this worked seemed to take the Tesla rep by surprise as well. That is assuming the "map lights" are the small round lights in the headliner near the windshield. That's what the Tesla rep called them.
This functionality is great! Keeps the interior button-free while providing nice tactile feedback. I just hope those lights don't get hot after a few minutes. :smile:

Our Ford Flex has a "choose your own color" internal ambient lighting system with LED pipes in the cupholders and footwells (Sample video here:

I'm not all that fond of it and almost always turn it off, but some people (including my kids and many of the people we've transported) seem to enjoy it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking of interior lighting - I had a chance to spend some quality time this past weekend with several of the cars on tour at the NY "Get Amped" event - I was really impressed overall, but I noticed that the rear map lights (in the side pillars) had been deleted in at least a few of the cars on display. I hope the deletion isn't a permanent design change; the online configurator still shows rear map lights, in any case...

I know rear headroom is a bit cramped for the taller among us, but if the map-light deletion on the test cars was for headroom reasons, I'd happily give up the few extra millimeters of headroom for a minor feature that (IMO) should definitely come standard on a car of this caliber. Has anyone else noticed this change at any of the Get Amped events, or heard anything from Tesla about it?

Speaking of interior lighting - I had a chance to spend some quality time this past weekend with several of the cars on tour at the NY "Get Amped" event - I was really impressed overall, but I noticed that the rear map lights (in the side pillars) had been deleted in at least a few of the cars on display. I hope the deletion isn't a permanent design change; the online configurator still shows rear map lights, in any case...
Perhaps they were added in some of the cars, while others were earlier production and didn't have them?

FWIW, in March 2012 the Specs page listed "Front LED map lights and rear LED reading lights" and now it lists "Front LED map lights" instead. In March it also listed "Front sun visors with LED illuminated mirrors" and now it simply lists "Front sun visors." Do you think these changes in the Specs page mean they are deleting the rear LED reading lights or the LED illuminated mirrors on the sun visors?

Now that would be a real bummer. If they start deleting every feature that appears to be causing trouble instead of trying to remedy the problems, then that could lead to a car that isn't really premium at all any longer - or at least feels even less so than it does now.
I mean the Model S started out in the first place without most of the features that buyers expect from a premium car, and now they seem to keep reducing that small list of premium features even more. Not really a way to make the car a more attractive buying option.

Yes, this is not cool. The rear passengers are really getting no love. No storage, no cupholders, no lights, no USB ports. Each a small ding, but cumulatively....
We don't know for certain the rear LED lights have been removed, do we? Only that they are no longer listed on the Specs page. The sun visor mirrors are no longer listed either but they still seem to be present in the test cars. I'll email Stephen Smith today and see what he says.