Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interior door metal trim dents

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed transfer from my shorts when I got up and it literally wiped away with a very small amount of water and a cloth. Maybe what I experienced wasn't color transfer, or I got lucky by taking care of it right away since I always check the seat when I get out.

Having dismantled much of the front of the car, you would be amazed at how flimsy much of the fixing and materials are. I understand much of this is industry standard. For example, the front bumper cover is held on by 2 small screws, 2 ten mm bolts, and some plastic clips at either corner next to the wheel arches. There are 10 plastic rivets on the under side, and that is it!! The main radiator is held by the the two rubber hose connections and a plastic clipped in frame. Ok, the frame has 4 bolts on its under side.
So, no surprise about flimsiness of interior materials.

I've bought two Model S's in the last 6 months. On the first car, I noticed that the driver's door metal trim that runs horizontally had a series of about four little dents/dings. I brought this the Portland Service's attention and they replaced the whole door panel. Yesterday on my month old car, I noticed the same problem - a new dent/ding. I emailed service about this and they replied that this doesn't fall under warranty and that the last repair was a courtesy.

It seems to me given that this has happened on our two brand new S's that there is a problem with the metal trim. It should not dent so easily. We are not heavy users of our cars and don't treat them roughly by any means.

Has anyone else had this issue?

From what I heard, that's not true.

I had a detailer tell me that he avoids trying to remove jeans color transfer from leather, because it's highly likely that the leather will become damaged.

Now, if you were to apply a sealant/coating/etc. before the color transfer happened, it might be easy to take care of. But from just cleaning and conditioning the leather, he didn't recommend trying to remove it.

Jeezus!!!! I just picked up a Model S and noticed my bashed up trim piece.....OMG - this is sad