Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interior lighting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have purchased new Model 3 Tesla Standard in ireland
Footwell lighting seems to be fitted but not working. Is this a software upgrade??

They are a ‘Premium Interior’ feature of LR and Performance.

Standard got ‘Partial Premium Interior’ which omitted various functions. Some like heated rear seats was a later software upgrade, but lights, speakers etc still aren’t and some won’t be as hardware is missing although I think the hardware is there for ambient lighting.

What was/wasn’t included varied over time, as is typical Tesla.

Reactions: Merdy
They are a ‘Premium Interior’ feature of LR and Performance.

Standard got ‘Partial Premium Interior’ which omitted various functions. Some like heated rear seats was a later software upgrade, but lights, speakers etc still aren’t and some won’t be as hardware is missing although I think the hardware is there for ambient lighting.

What was/wasn’t included varied over time, as is typical Tesla.

Yes, the ambient lights functionality is a weird omission by Tesla, especially when much more significant potential "differentiators" have now been included with the standard models. e.g. heated rear seats, heated steering wheel, powered boot

Reactions: Merdy and Durzel
Yes, the ambient lights functionality is a weird omission by Tesla, especially when much more significant potential "differentiators" have now been included with the standard models. e.g. heated rear seats, heated steering wheel, powered boot
And epecially if our 'premium interiors' models were fitted with proper Ambient lighting : with variable intensity, or, god forbid, RGBW colour-customisable lights.
No, we are just talking about the inclusion of a bog standard, fixed white bulb...

But in the meantime it can still fart...

Are you sure? The 2023 MY Standard Range has it.

I changed my lights to a softer blue and leave them on when driving.
100% sure for Made in China SR+, which is what the OP is referring to. My 2021 M3 does not have it.

Looks like it is different for the MY. Just checked the (UK) MY configurator, and that doesn't make a difference between premium/part-premium interiors. Looks like all MYs get premium sound & subwoofer, so I'm assuming ambient lights are included as well.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Adopado
How did you change the light? Was that a physical change or a setting?
A physical change. $20 and ten minutes to change.

IMG_0914.jpeg

Last edited: