Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interior noise level question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious about this as well. I have an Infinity G35 and I hate all the creaks and squeaks it's developing. Makes me feel like it's a piece of crap, no matter how nice looking I keep it. I'm worried that if Nissan has these fit and finish issues on a car, then tesla will definitely have them, since they do much lower volume and have less experience preventing them. I'm wondering how squeaky the first 2012 tesla S's are by now, and how squeaky they'll be by their 10th birthday.

If the model 3 will be delivered as a sedan (not open trunk lift back like the s), then it may have a slight advantage on noise level from things rattling in the trunk. But as others have said the model 3 is on a different platform, shape, uses different materials, half the cost, we'll only know when we get reviews from people owning a model 3.

A squeak when turning with any kind of torque was introduced after a headliner replacement.

That aside, the in-cabin decibel level has exceeded 85dB upon occasion, and routinely lives in the high 70s and low 80s. That was with the OEM Michelins.

Entirely dependent upon road surface.

The next set (OEM1 Goodyears) is new so of course things are quieter. But not all that much again, dependent upon road surface.

Definitely opportunities for improvement, as confined by the OEM3 tire - Goodyear Eagle Touring - rumored to have foam and thus to be much quieter.

I know what you mean, when you buy a car (infinity in your case) from a "premium" brand, you expect the thing to be put together well and not a lot of interior rattle. I can tell you I've pretty much given up that thought. My 70k+ X5 has rattles. When you turn on the AC on a hot day, there are all sorts of creaks and rattles from the dash trims. I have less than 15k miles and the rear seat has a rattle now. I don't know if any car is rattle free. Anyone who owns a Bentley or RR can comment if you have rattles? I'd love to know.
That also has a lot to do with tire/wheel size of course. If you get low profile tires you should expect rattles. I wouldn't expect the model 3 to rattle any less than the model S if there's any. In fact, since an electric car is inherently quiet to start with, I would expect any rattle or creaks in the cabin will only be more noticeable. Now I would love to be pleasantly surprised, but I don't put much hope.

I had a Lexus IS that was rattle-free for 100k miles until I sold it. We also had an Acura TL that was rattle free for its lifetime (120k miles). We currently own an Audi S4 that has a nasty rattle in the dash that is very annoying and service can't seem to fix.

I was very disappointed in the Audi, I expected better interior finishes from them. I have already resigned myself to a potentially noisy Tesla, since it seems pretty common.

My 2012 Model S has held up well at 58,000 miles. Only a seat squeak if the driver seat is rocked when reaching for the seatbelt.

Model X is still in service (30 days and counting.) Tesla is replacing seals and accomplishing other upgrades to make it perfect.

Over a month ago I took sound meter reading with 3 vehicles while driving at 65 mph on the 57 freeway with noisy concrete. Road noise is a problem on much of our freeways. Here are the results that I posted earlier. New asphalt pavement would be the solution.

2009 Cadillac Escalade with 18" wheels - 71 dBA
2016 Model X with 22" wheels - 74 to 76 dBA
2012 Model S with 19" wheels - 76 to 78 dBA

• Informative
Reactions: KZKZ
My 2012 Model S has held up well at 58,000 miles. Only a seat squeak if the driver seat is rocked when reaching for the seatbelt.

Model X is still in service (30 days and counting.) Tesla is replacing seals and accomplishing other upgrades to make it perfect.

Over a month ago I took sound meter reading with 3 vehicles while driving at 65 mph on the 57 freeway with noisy concrete. Road noise is a problem on much of our freeways. Here are the results that I posted earlier. New asphalt pavement would be the solution.

2009 Cadillac Escalade with 18" wheels - 71 dBA
2016 Model X with 22" wheels - 74 to 76 dBA
2012 Model S with 19" wheels - 76 to 78 dBA
Escalade 3-5 dB quieter than the X. No wonder they sell a lot of those. 36K in the US last year.

I have to say I am a bit disappointed to hear that MS is noisier than average.

Tesla has to give a bit more attention to noise insulation and cabin build quality if they are going to claim that their car is better than the ICE competition. I realize it is easier said than done but when a car costs more than the normal econobox price range, one assumes normal luxuries like a quiet interior.

Last edited:
Reactions: slipnslider
Well.. not really, for what i see ( reading the forum and doing the test-drive ) they are really quiet, the point is that they are so quiet that every other noise seems amplified ( like the wind noise.. ) and a minor creek that you really can't notice on another car it's evident on a Tesla, and it seems that the latest model are quieter than the first year models, they've added some noise insulator where before there waren't.
I think you should really test-drive a model S and then judge by yourself, and remember of course that if something is right you don't complain in forum about it, so take a grain of salt when judging based on the topic on the forum and pay attenction on the year of the car they are speaking about.. about the road noise of course take in consideration that a 21 tire make more noise than a 19 and all of this things.

I'm wondering how squeaky the first 2012 tesla S's are by now, and how squeaky they'll be by their 10th birthday.

Have a 2013 here. Definitely the squeakyist car I've owned in the last 20 years.

It's not just road noise - Tesla uses more light-weight plastics and metals than other cars, which are prone to bending over time.

There were also some dumb design mistakes in the earlier models that I think has now been sorted out. e.g. my seat is too close to the center armrest so it keeps pushing up against it and squeaks.

• Informative
Reactions: slipnslider
I do agree that even minor squeaks and rattles will be noticeable in the absence of a noisy ICE.

However, my Model 3 will probably end up costing around £40,000 with options and for that price you are looking at a competition where road noise and rattles are non-existent.

Model S in my book should be even better - at £60k+ the competition comes from expensive Jaguars and BMWs and so far I have never been in one that rattles. Of course you can put very-low profile wheels on any car and get it to be noisy but that is avoidable - just don't get thin profiled wheels.

Reactions: Big-T