Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Intermittent Front Parking Sensor Failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently, my front parking sensors have not been working from time to time. I'll pull into my garage (or into a parking garage spot or something of that sort), but the sensors indicate nothing in front of me. I'm close enough, believe me. It is an intermittent failure, though, as they'll work just fine the next time I drive. It could be several days or longer in between the failure.

I will bring this up to service sooner or later (probably when I have my first routine service in a few months, unless something else comes up), but I'm in no hurry. This is hardly a critical issue--really no more than a minor annoyance.

However, in the meantime, has anyone else had a similar problem? Did you discover or learn of a home remedy?

Cheers!

Reactions: daktari
Could possibly be that the plug or harness to the sensor(s) is not seated all the way so electrical contact is intermittent. Or maybe water or something go into the plug. Would be first things that I would check to troubleshoot.

I have had the same issue with the front parking Sensors. Mine only works intermittently, most of the time it thinks there is a vehicle/car in front. Just like OP I take it is a minor annoyance but will bring it up to the SC on my next visit.
BTW: I have never had this problem with my 2013 S85 which I still own.

It was introduced with a FW bug. It isn't hardware failure. Only the front 3-4 sensors do not work (Nothing will appear in the IC even if there is a wall in front).

Thanks for your sharing the info, in that case even the Service Center might not be able to resolve the problem.

One time I rebooted both the Center Screen as well as the IC, and it worked for a little while and then back to the same non-responsive behavior. May be we should report it over to Tesla.

I have started to notice something similar when parking, and I assume it is occurring mid drive sometimes as well causing AP to fail. I will be driving in full AP/TACC and then AP randomly fails and shuts off with a bunch of alarms. This just started with 2017.44 release for me.

Below is a video of AP/TACC failing mid drive that I have started to experience since 2017.44. All you can really hear are the alarms when it fails, and can see that there is nothing going on at the time. Another odd one.. :)

I have the same problem on my S90D. Has been happening randomly (90% of the time) for about a month. Discovered it with auto parking engaged and only just managed to hit the break in time as car would have happily driven itself into the car in front. Only time the sensors worked reliably was when I took it into the dealer and they could not find a fault.

Same here, also Dec 2016 MS75D. Vancouver service have checked it twice and because it's intermittent they give it back with a "functioning as designed". Within a few minutes of driving away I've got no front sensor information showing in the IC again. Incredibly frustrating.

I don't think linked to a FW bug, at least in my case. It's been twitchy since I got the car, although seems to be absent much more than present now versus when I got the car. I'm on 2017.46.8 and no change.

It absolutely did not exist prior to .42 on my car. I've had it for a year and all that worked in terms of AP-like features were the ultrasonic sensors (no auto park for many months or summon).

This is a typical Tesla FW error and I've shown my SC and they agreed it was an issue but there is no fix. Mothership must address. Complain until it gets sent to engineering and Tesla takes it seriously. Otherwise summon and autopark are useless unless you confirm sensors are working.

I got .46 and its still not fixed. About 75% of the time the front senors do not work. Simply turning on and off the car fixes it (for that session).

It absolutely did not exist prior to .42 on my car. I've had it for a year and all that worked in terms of AP-like features were the ultrasonic sensors (no auto park for many months or summon).

This is a typical Tesla FW error and I've shown my SC and they agreed it was an issue but there is no fix. Mothership must address. Complain until it gets sent to engineering and Tesla takes it seriously. Otherwise summon and autopark are useless unless you confirm sensors are working.

I got .46 and its still not fixed. About 75% of the time the front senors do not work. Simply turning on and off the car fixes it (for that session).

Turning on and off meaning turning off all power to the car, or just exit and lock?

we had to really kajol tesla to replace our front right sensor - even with photos showing nothing in the parking lot - yet our X was warning of an impending collision. We supplied date & time. They told us they can't find anything. So - we said "well you need to change it anyway since your logs are obviously inaccurate .... after allb- we don't want to be hard stopping on the freeway with some inattentive person behind us now - do we". Now we're starting to wonder if Tesla is reluctant to do these kinds of repairs because they fear it might become fodder for lemon issues, when coupled with many of the ongoing nickel-&-dimed things. I don't know.