Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Intermittent Wiper Failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I finally confirmed on my car that the wipers switch from auto wipe to intermittent wipe mode when the car goes in to park. I had the wipers off during the update. It's a very weird bug, and the .6 update did not fix it. At least the workaround ('turn off the wipers') is easy enough.
Hope they can fix it with a quick update. It’s annoying how it is not working properly.

I got the Christmas update to my MX last night (2023.44.30.4) and now my Intermittent wipers are working just fine on both slow and fast intermittent settings. To be clear, they are working for my first drive after the update. I still need to see them work more than once to be sure they are fixed.

It looks like the fix I received is functioning more like regular intermittent wipers using a time-based control:
Slow Intermittent speed = 1 wipe per-5second interval with or without rain.
Fast Intermittent speed = 1 wipe per-2.5second interval with or without rain.

Not running auto-wipe mode. maybe that will change them to being something other than time-based intermittent wiping.

So nothing fancy but they work. I'm happy with simple and reliable. :)
This is where I’m at with this issue, I’m just sticking with what works and that’s using regular settings via stalk and not using auto-wiper beta anymore. I was a long time auto-wiper enabled guy but i never thought they worked well, I always had to supplement it by using the stalk button to wipe when needed anyway.

Yes, same exact issue for me w/2017 X90D. Auto wipers work normally until I'm in park. As soon as I go to park the wipers turn on in intermittent mode, even when Auto-Wipers beta is turned on. Only option is to just turn off the stalk or turn off auto-wipers (beta).

Sigh, seems like Tesla fixed the issue for many, but gave some of us a partial fix/broken fix. I wish I knew how to report this up the chain.
Exactly the same issue for my 2017 S 90D. If you have the auto wiper feature on, the wipers always run when you have the car in park after the December software update. From these post, it seems to be an issue with the 2017ish year model S and X. It sucks. I guess I'll just leave the auto wiper feature off, until needed (which defeats the purpose of 'auto' wiper mode!). haha

Reactions: BuffaloMS
Exactly the same issue for my 2017 S 90D. If you have the auto wiper feature on, the wipers always run when you have the car in park after the December software update. From these post, it seems to be an issue with the 2017ish year model S and X. It sucks. I guess I'll just leave the auto wiper feature off, until needed (which defeats the purpose of 'auto' wiper mode!). haha
It is is still way better than the intermittent never turns on when you need it most.

Just a follow up on this issue...

I have a 2017 Model X and updated my software to FSD Beta v11.4.9 - 2023.44.30.8 and my intermittent wiper functionality has returned. Actually I think it was fixed on the update prior to this one, but I officially tested its functionality after this latest update and it is so nice to have intermittent wipers back. Has anyone else regained their functionality as I have?

Mine has been fixed since 2023.44.30.4 with the caveat that even on 2023.44.30.8 it still runs the dumb intermittent wipers if you have the intermittent setting on while the car is in Park. Autowipers work fine, and regular intermittent wipers work fine if you disable the auto.

Since 2023.44.30.8 wipers do not engage at all even when the windscreen is soaked. and I have to manually push the stalk button to wake them up to see where I'm going. After that, they seem OK for a while in "intermittent" mode, then they park themselves while it's still raining and the process starts all over.

Oops, Model Y, not S...

First mention I've found on my problem- dry wipes but only in park. Very weird.

'17 MS100, MCU2/AP3, 2023.44.30.8.
As mentioned earlier in this thread, when you go to Park it switches from auto to intermittent with the current software. If you want to use auto, turn the wipers off before you go to Park, as it will also keep wiping even if you open the door. That's a bug which was squashed back in 2015 or 2016, and now it's back.

Reactions: KArnold
As mentioned earlier in this thread, when you go to Park it switches from auto to intermittent with the current software. If you want to use auto, turn the wipers off before you go to Park, as it will also keep wiping even if you open the door. That's a bug which was squashed back in 2015 or 2016, and now it's back.
Seems this only affects pre-refresh models. I'm annoyed for you.