Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Internet connectivity and the phone app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in a somewhat rural area that offers few internet connectivity options. Last week a storm came through and my wireless internet died, which also meant I no longer had a phone key and was stuck with the card. The "customer service" department at the ISP said that it would be about two weeks before they could get somebody out to take a look at it. I couldn't wait that long so I ended up getting a satellite internet service. These services are great at download bandwidth but latencies, which are normally less than 10ms for DSL, cable, etc., now approach nearly a half second. I'm back online but I notice that the Tesla app on my phone is almost useless. I get the "waking up" spinning circle for well over a minute before it either connects or gives up. If it does connect, I now have to go through the full process to set up my phone as a key again. Only problem is, while other icons on the screen are responsive, such as Climate and Controls, touching the Phone Key icon does nothing. So I'm wondering if anyone else has successfully used the phone app through a satellite internet connection? This also brings up another question - what if you're on a trip and out of range of an internet connection? What then?

Dave

The phone key function doesn't require internet access for your phone or the call. It uses local bluetooth.

As for your high latency issues, Satellite providers try to get around this by "pre-acking" packets at the terrestrial gateways. It works for some traffic to keep the TCP session from timing out. But, it doesn't work for VPNs, which is that the car uses to connect to Tesla. So, probably no way around it.