Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inventory Discounts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am trying to figure out the best time to buy a Model X 100D inventory model with the best discount. Does anyone have any advice or tips on this? Would be hugely appreciated.

I am planning to purchase a 100D 6 seater before the end of the year to get the tax credits before they get reduced. Without the inventory discount, the 100D just is not affordable for me, so I hope I can find a good discount.

Thanks!

I tried for 5 months to find a Model X 100D inventory model that matched what I wanted, and also was at a discount that was worthwhile over maybe NOT getting an exact match for what I wanted.

It's tough. It use to be easier, but options are slimmer, and Tesla doesn't want to transport the inventory models around anymore. Also, a lot of their test drive fleet is P100Ds... which they just unloaded a bunch of those (or are trying to).

Expecting more than a $2-$4K discount is probably unrealistic but you may very well get lucky. End of Quarter definitely seems to be the best, but then you may have issues actually getting it delivered in time.

Yes this is the time to find them esp they are pushing for a big 3rd quarter.

Now I am curious the discount you get is probably few thousands. Is that really going to determine whether you can afford it?

100d discounts aren't as good as P100D right now. I put a deposit down for a 100d 7 seater last week with a 2.5k discount, and yesterday they loaded up 10 more identical cars with a 3k discount. I was able to have my OA switch cars. There's not going to be anymore crazy lease discounts like the S P100DL deals 2 years ago since tesla sold them with an inflated residual, so they are taking them back at a loss.

Yes this is the time to find them esp they are pushing for a big 3rd quarter.

Now I am curious the discount you get is probably few thousands. Is that really going to determine whether you can afford it?

Well when you do a lease, the discount is basically the same as a down payment which will drastically reduce the monthly payments. There is an inventory model x 100d with 16k discount but the vehicle is in Hawaii and won’t ship. That level of discount makes about a $200 a month difference.

I am trying to figure out the best time to buy a Model X 100D inventory model with the best discount. Does anyone have any advice or tips on this? Would be hugely appreciated.

I am planning to purchase a 100D 6 seater before the end of the year to get the tax credits before they get reduced. Without the inventory discount, the 100D just is not affordable for me, so I hope I can find a good discount.

Thanks!

In the "old days" of the 2014's and 2016's I bought an S and an X that were inventory cars. The S had abut 10k miles on it and had been built 11 months before I bought it. It was discounted $1/mile and 2%/month for a big $26k discount off list. It was in the Rockville, MD sales center and I flew up and drove it back to NC. The X had fewer than 1k miles and was only a couple of months old so the discount was much less. I really got it because it was spot on what I wanted and was immediately available. New X's had a 4 month waiting list.

I have no idea what the discounting is now.

My sales rep called about an inventory vehicle with < 50 miles that was identical to the one I ordered. However, there was no discount and I would have to pay $2000 to ship it, so I turned it down and told him I would wait. I wasn’t going to pay more to get it sooner...so I guess it’s a November delivery for me.

Well when you do a lease, the discount is basically the same as a down payment which will drastically reduce the monthly payments. There is an inventory model x 100d with 16k discount but the vehicle is in Hawaii and won’t ship. That level of discount makes about a $200 a month difference.

It’s in Hawaii. That one has been available on the inventory list for quite some time.

Not going to say you won’t find a similar deal but all I can say is I tried very very hard for 5 months and wasn’t successful. Partially because I was unwilling to take one without MCU2.

I would only expect to see a deep inventory discount when there is a change in options. The last big wave was on the 90D when it was discontinued. I know because I bought then - the premium stuff being bundled and the 90D being discontinued added up very well. I would not expect it on current models with current features.

I just put a deposit down on Sat for a 100d with $11,900 discount. Feb 21 2018 build. No premium stereo, no cold weather package.

Just so you're aware, one of the reasons this is discounted so much is because it has the old MCU. If that doesn't matter to you then you got a great deal. If it does matter, then I'd try to figure out if it's worth the ~$7k difference between that and a newer MX.

@DoctorVenkman - this car does have thew newer MCU. Or does MX stand for something else?

MCU stands for Main Computer Unit which powers the big screen in the center of the car. Around late March/early April of this year, Tesla upgraded the computer (what people refer to as MCU2).

The general consensus is that MCU2 is a vast improvement over the original. Where the original MCU is laggy, the MCU2 is buttery smooth. Some people care about that, some people don't. If you'd be annoyed by the center screen being slow/laggy at points, I'd consider switching your order to a newer car.

MCU stands for Main Computer Unit which powers the big screen in the center of the car. Around late March/early April of this year, Tesla upgraded the computer (what people refer to as MCU2).

The general consensus is that MCU2 is a vast improvement over the original. Where the original MCU is laggy, the MCU2 is buttery smooth. Some people care about that, some people don't. If you'd be annoyed by the center screen being slow/laggy at points, I'd consider switching your order to a newer car.

I owned a 2016 MX with old MCU and now have 2018 MX with new MCU. I honestly can’t tell the difference.