Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inventory S vs 2015 P85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was about to buy a CPO P85D and now this promotion on inventory S cars is running. It's a bit of a stretch but I could make it happen and buy new. I normally like to buy used and take advantage of some depreciation.

Thoughts from owners experience would be most appreciated. Am I going to miss the extra performance? I will be daily driving about 25k miles per year. Not looking at Model 3 I need the hatch and like the ride more on the S

Was in the same boat as you 3 weeks ago. Was looking to spend 70-75k on a p90DL but was able to find a 2018 P100D for 83.5k and I got the federal tax credit so my net cost was around 80k. Was a no brainer, for an extra 10k I got a bigger battery, new car (700 miles), new electronics (eap) and not having to deal with the used car process (inconsistent at best).

Used car prices aren’t attractive at this time. Tesla is trying to steer buyers towards new cars to make numbers this quarter and to make room for the upgraded models...

Thanks, I didn't even look at P100D as there are none in my area. Looking on EV-CPO I am seeing some good deals on 2018's. When I click on the stock number it doesn't identify where the car is (some of them do, but not this one). Did you have to go to the car or do they do a deal like the used ones and ship for $2k?

They will usually make you pay to ship an inventory unit if it's already located in a different location than you. If it's still sitting at the factory I don't think you'll pay extra shipping over the delivery & documentation fee that you have to pay regardless.

Will you miss the extra performance between a 100D and a P85D? Well that's up to you to decide although the 100D is still very quick. The newer car will be nicer, especially the much better looking (IMO) nose.

Also don't forget how dog-slow the MCU1 units are nowadays. MCU2 on a new car is fast. That alone might be worth it honestly.

My 2018 100D consistently gets 0-100kph at 3.6 sec....half a second faster than the advertised speed. Seems to be the case with most 100D’s.
I happen to have had a 2015 P85D loaner for 4 days while mine was in service.

The P85D will be faster off the line however both are similar when moving 30mph-70 and above. Didn’t feel too much difference as the P was not a Lud model...it had insane mode.
At launch, the P feels like a jolt to the spine followed by giggles from passengers. The 100D slightly less jolt but same crazy torque pull and giggles.

100D range is far superior. I liked having 490km to leave home with in the morning vs 365 on the P85D. Both at 90%.

P85D suspension and handling far better. If you want the coveted +suspension then it’s your unicorn choice. (Assuming that P85D vin it has it). The P felt sturdier and the steering was tighter. Having said that, the 100D is smoother overall.

Tech in 100D faster and future proofed with AP2.5 if it comes with it. Also new look and style. P85D was quite possibly the best built S in trim/finish and balance of performance/ride quality.

Goodluck with either :)

Last edited:
Also new look and style. P85D was quite possibly the best built S in trim/finish and balance of performance/ride quality.
Just curious regarding this statement - as I'm planning on getting a 2015 P85D and am having a hard time trying to decide to between one from a local dealer (not CPO) vs. getting one from Tesla (with a Tesla warranty). Reason why this is a struggle is simply because I have a trade-in that the dealer is giving me a much better deal on compared to what Tesla has offered, however since there is no warranty on the car from the dealer, I can't decide which one to go with. Reading your statement about the P85D's having a better finish/quality is interesting as that would make my decision easier.

Please elaborate. TIA

Lot's of good insight here. I think I am leaning toward a regular 100D. I didn't even think about the MCU speed and I like having the updated look. I realize these incentives are to clear out the inventory for the refreshed motor units, but these prices are tough to pass up.

Lot's of good insight here. I think I am leaning toward a regular 100D. I didn't even think about the MCU speed and I like having the updated look. I realize these incentives are to clear out the inventory for the refreshed motor units, but these prices are tough to pass up.

depending on the deal you get for either one, i wouldnt count the MCU1 out. yes it is slower but by no means is it not functioning as it should

I'd lean more towards the inventory models, if I were you. If it's already the 2.5 EAP, you could most likely upgrade to the FSD later on if you so choose, while the original AP1 wouldn't have that ability at all.

Plus, loans with new vehicles generally are much better than used ones, probably about 2-3% difference. That's a lot of interest, and could make it have either lower monthly premiums or a shorter pay cycle to own.

Just curious regarding this statement - as I'm planning on getting a 2015 P85D and am having a hard time trying to decide to between one from a local dealer (not CPO) vs. getting one from Tesla (with a Tesla warranty). Reason why this is a struggle is simply because I have a trade-in that the dealer is giving me a much better deal on compared to what Tesla has offered, however since there is no warranty on the car from the dealer, I can't decide which one to go with.

Reading your statement about the P85D's having a better finish/quality is interesting as that would make my decision easier.

Please elaborate. TIA

Oh..what I meant is the P85D’s were well built cars back during the 2014/15 era. The common day issues of yellow screen, wind noise, dash rattles etc were less so back when Tesla was producing half the number of model S’s, no model X nor any model 3. Unique period of all hands on deck for MS. I’m not saying they were perfect nor am I saying that the new builds are not of a great quality. Just that the suspension parts used and the QA in catching imperfections before delivery etc was far better.

From a warranty perspective, all body parts or tech can and will fail at some point. There are those with 2012 founders series cars who have a stellar experience and those with 2018 builds who have seen nothing but SC’s. On average concensus is the P85D/85D’s of that era were well built and compared to other times prior and after.

It’s a hard choice. Are you ok with paying $500 to fix one faulty door handle? Or $2000 for one half shaft fix or $4000 for a new drive unit? These are not cheap repairs :) just my 2 cents. Perhaps there is a 3rd party warranty company who can provide decent coverage for you? Best of both.

I personally wouldn’t want to own one of these without some protection.

Last edited:
Oh..what I meant is the P85D’s were well built cars back during the 2014/15 era. The common day issues of yellow screen, wind noise, dash rattles etc were less so back when Tesla was producing half the number of model S’s, no model X nor any model 3. Unique period of all hands on deck for MS. I’m not saying they were perfect nor am I saying that the new builds are not of a great quality. Just that the suspension parts used and the QA in catching imperfections before delivery etc was far better.

From a warranty perspective, all body parts or tech can and will fail at some point. There are those with 2012 founders series cars who have a stellar experience and those with 2018 builds who have seen nothing but SC’s. On average concensus is the P85D/85D’s of that era were well built and compared to other times prior and after.

It’s a hard choice. Are you ok with paying $500 to fix one faulty door handle? Or $2000 for one half shaft fix or $4000 for a new drive unit? These are not cheap repairs :) just my 2 cents. Perhaps there is a 3rd party warranty company who can provide decent coverage for you? Best of both.

I personally wouldn’t want to own one of these without some protection.
Thanks for the feedback! The local dealer "specializes" in Teslas - they usually have at least 40 S, a handful of X in stock all the time.

This particular dealer just started a pilot (they claim they are only dealer in Canada to offer this) program offering a Tesla specific warranty from Lubrico and it costs $2600 CAD - 2 years and 40K km. The only component they don't cover is the rear air suspension (no idea why they singled out this component).

P85D was quite possibly the best built S in trim/finish and balance of performance/ride quality.

Unless you got a pre April 2015 which has the Plus suspension and is has the worst ride quality when compared to the loaners I've had....unless you like a rock hard suspension that communicates just every bump but the subtle texture of the kind of asphalt you're on :rolleyes:

Unless you got a pre April 2015 which has the Plus suspension and is has the worst ride quality when compared to the loaners I've had....unless you like a rock hard suspension that communicates just every bump but the subtle texture of the kind of asphalt you're on :rolleyes:

I had a +susp loaner built Jan 2015. It really wasn’t that harsh given I drive a 100D with arachnid 21’s all day :) maybe a slight bit on the ride comfort with the P but wow could it ever handle curves and turns like a knife through butter!

Thanks for the feedback! The local dealer "specializes" in Teslas - they usually have at least 40 S, a handful of X in stock all the time.

This particular dealer just started a pilot (they claim they are only dealer in Canada to offer this) program offering a Tesla specific warranty from Lubrico and it costs $2600 CAD - 2 years and 40K km. The only component they don't cover is the rear air suspension (no idea why they singled out this component).

Wouldn’t happen to be Paul (owner) from Shift motors would it? If so, they are stellar in their product sales and in knowing their Teslas. They are quite likely the best dealer for Tesla’s outside of Tesla :)

I traded in a previous X100D with them and received an incredible price. That warranty apparently allows you to goto a Tesla SC and it will be honoured as if you have an Oem warranty.

You won’t go wrong with Shift if you need a review :)

Wouldn’t happen to be Paul (owner) from Shift motors would it? If so, they are stellar in their product sales and in knowing their Teslas. They are quite likely the best dealer for Tesla’s outside of Tesla :)

I traded in a previous X100D with them and received an incredible price. That warranty apparently allows you to goto a Tesla SC and it will be honoured as if you have an Oem warranty.

You won’t go wrong with Shift if you need a review :)
Wow, small world indeed. Yes its Shift Motors. Do you mind chatting in person via phone when you have a couple of minutes? Please let me know. Thanks.