Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Investor Engineering Discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
4680 is great, but they need more of them. Standard range allows more vehicles to be built which improves margins by distributing fixed costs across more units.
I do understand that much. What I don't understand is the severe issue scaling them. Also the EPA range ...is odd. I was trying to figure that out but until you know how many cells and the exact performance of the cells it is a bit of guesswork. It will be interesting to see the first youtuber cut one open. They'll make a million $ off youtube views and OEMs looking to buy cells, bits and parts.

1649421906290.png

Does anyone know what this is?

I'm thinking it's part of the big casting machine for rear or front casting, and the tubes are either coolant or for inserting (molten) metal into the cast. But I'd like to know for sure.

Reactions: JRP3
I do understand that much. What I don't understand is the severe issue scaling them. Also the EPA range ...is odd. I was trying to figure that out but until you know how many cells and the exact performance of the cells it is a bit of guesswork. It will be interesting to see the first youtuber cut one open. They'll make a million $ off youtube views and OEMs looking to buy cells, bits and parts.

From what we saw last night there are 828 cells. What is odd about the EPA range? They made a standard range, with fewer cells, so that they could make more of them while cell production ramps. Just like way back when they made the Model 3 mid-range to accomplish the same thing.

Reactions: 30seconds and JRP3
Ok, so here is where I get a bit shy. So if you do all the math, weight reductions from castings, etc etc. I was expecting a bit more range. I was hoping someone else would do a more thorough job with the numbers and explain it because it seems to me that my CT is going to have less range than I'd like. Anyhow, great to see progress and great to see it is finally going into a vehicle.

From what we saw last night there are 828 cells. What is odd about the EPA range? They made a standard range, with fewer cells, so that they could make more of them while cell production ramps. Just like way back when they made the Model 3 mid-range to accomplish the same thing.
Where did you see 828? The videos look like 24x35, for 840. 828 would probably be 92S9P, a slight reduction in pack voltage.

• Helpful
Reactions: Dig deeper
Where did you see 828? The videos look like 24x35, for 840. 828 would probably be 92S9P, a slight reduction in pack voltage.
You are missing that every other row has one less cell in it.

From what they had hanging up in the GigaFactory. Each bandolier has 69 cells in it, because of course it does, with 4 bandoliers per "module", and three "modules" in a pack. (69*4*3=828)

1649441571235.png

Last edited:
It seems that they made only 1 million cells by January of 2022, I cant believe they had a thousand cells just sitting in demo box's in Berlin 6 months ago. I'd be betting they are dummy cells. Still curious as to what the whole pack weighs. Maybe that is not as big a weight savings as thought. Likely going to take a Munro type teardown to find out.

Well true, but it won't tell you the pack weight though, its also a question as to how much weight savings the dual castings generate.
Really it is just savings from the front casting, since the Model Y has always had the rear casting. (At least I think it did, originally as two pieces, and then replaced with a single piece; which would have had minimal weight savings.)

My guess is that the front casting saves 15-20 pounds. (But a whole lot of space, robots, welding, rivets, structural adhesive, etc.)

Reactions: JRP3