Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

IOS 13 not working with Tesla App [Update: check Settings > Privacy > Bluetooth]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are the doors supposed to unlock if the app is NOT running in the background? I have never had that happen. Only time the doors will unlock is if the app is running in the background. If I totally close the app it does not work. Id love to know what is supposed to happen
  • Model 3 LR RWD
  • iPhone 11 Pro
  • iOS 13
  • 3.10.0 app version
  • Location set to always
  • Bluetooth access allowed
Let me know! Thanks!

What people don't understand is, on iOS background apps are NOT always visible in the App Stack. If you view all the running apps (double click home or diagonal swipe) it will likely NOT show up. If YOU launched it and then backgrounded it, then it will be visible. But Background Apps can launch themselves with no Visible UI on the running stack of apps.

You could kill the app, and if conditions are correct it COULD immediately start back up in background. The only way to prevent that is to not allow background processing. If you don't allow background it has to be in foreground to work.

What happens is the App Registers for a "Background Callback" for your Bluetooth devices it's interested in. The Phone it constantly scanning for Bluetooth devices. When the phone sees a match it calls every app registered for that device (in background, if it's not running it will start it up "hidden"). All the Tesla app does is, connect, verify your proximity (by several BT LE devices) and then "Ok" a response to unlock. It does very little and is only called when needed.

I've noticed since going to ios 13 my phone on the Tesla widget frequently shows the message that I need to open the app. I've also had a couple instances where bluetooth unlock didn't work on the first pull of the handle. Wonder if it's related to the way iOS 13 handles background apps:
iOS 13 Killing Background Apps Way Too Aggressively : ios

Try uninstalling the app and downloading it again. It seems to be working fine now.