Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iPhone 12 pro wireless charge problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some of the after market wireless chargers have an extra coil to allow phones to lie across the bottom landscape instead of portrait. Which allows more flexibility in phone positioning
s-l500.jpg

Does the genuine Tesla one have this?

If not then as a last resort you could replace the genuine charger with an aftermarket one if the issue is the relative positioning of the coils.

Just a thought - have you tried turning off optimized battery charging (Settings - Battery -> Battery Health -> OptimizedBattery Charging)? After iOS 14 was released, my Nomad wireless charger would detect my 11 Pro Max but would not charge (indicator white instead of orange). Disabling the optimized charging setting fixed it.

No comfort, but my iPhone 12 Pro charges on the cheapo VXDAS wireless pad I got from Amazon. I have the Optimised Battery Charging switched on too. I have no idea at what rate it charges at though.

There seems to be quite a bit of variability on Qi charging. Not exactly the same scenario, but this was recently posted about the charging rate of the new MagSafe wireless charger:

I’m sure there is someone here who knows more about USB power delivery than me, but it seems that the combination of power source and your charging gizmo matters.

No comfort, but my iPhone 12 Pro charges on the cheapo VXDAS wireless pad I got from Amazon. I have the Optimised Battery Charging switched on too. I have no idea at what rate it charges at though.

There seems to be quite a bit of variability on Qi charging. Not exactly the same scenario, but this was recently posted about the charging rate of the new MagSafe wireless charger:

I’m sure there is someone here who knows more about USB power delivery than me, but it seems that the combination of power source and your charging gizmo matters.

All my phones have been qi wireless since 2012 and yes I have found power source is very important more important than the charge pad itself. Wireless charging is not very efficient and I have found you ideally need a USB port capable of delivering 2amps continuously for it to work well and reliably

I’m having same issue with new iPhone 12 (not Pro). Wireless charging not happening properly in my Tesla M3LR or with several QI chargers at home. Don’t think the coils are aligning properly for whatever reason - camera bump, slightly changed position etc. In my Tesla when it does occur appears to be slow and phone getting very hot.

No problems with my iPhone 11.

• Informative
Reactions: OneTinyFish
The last 2 BMW's I have been in would not even fit an iphone pro with a very minimal case in the wireless charger slot. Something which seemed like a massive oversight, since on the Venn diagram of iphone pro owners and BMW owners I am guessing there is significant overlap.
Why? The iPhone pro series has only been out 2 years car manufacturers wouldn't develop to a phone but to the current standards.

Seeing people having problems with wireless charging on the 12 makes me think Apple have done a Tesla with magsafe in that the have invented a fualty solution to something that was working fine in the first place

• Disagree
Reactions: CMc1
I have a new iPhone 12 pro and can no longer charge wirelessly. I have the 70 reg 2019 Model 3 that came with the wireless charger and new frunk design.

I don’t have my old phone to test unfortunately.
Anyone else with the same configuration?

Thx

working “okay” for me on an July/August built Model 3 without a case as I don’t have one yet.

pop the phone in the charger and give it a little push down towards the lightning connector.

and try not to drive too fast around corners.

Works fine with my iPhone 12 pro and first generation Taptes charger, though I do have a very slim case(it’s actually thin safety glass at the back). No problem with other wireless chargers either. If you are also having problems with other Qi chargers then I’d give Apple a call as could be a faulty phone. - after all you don’t want to end up with one that eventually stops taking a charge.

My iPhone 12 Pro was working fine as reported yesterday. Last night it wouldn't charge on my bedside charger. I got into the car today and same story. No charging. My daughters iPhone SE was charging fine. I powered the phone fully off and back on and it then charged fine. I suspect we may have some Magsafe weirdness going on here!

I’ve just been onto an Apple forum, and there does seem to be a few issues with the iPhone 12 Pro and wireless charging being intermittent for quite a few people.

I’ve not bought a phone for a few years but was looking at getting an iPhone 12 Pro Max in a couple of weeks.

In the grand manner of Tesla, let’s hope it’s fixed with an over the air update.

Last edited:
My iPhone 12 Pro was working fine as reported yesterday. Last night it wouldn't charge on my bedside charger. I got into the car today and same story. No charging. My daughters iPhone SE was charging fine. I powered the phone fully off and back on and it then charged fine. I suspect we may have some Magsafe weirdness going on here!
See. Sounds like the have created a "solution" to a problem that has already been fixed and it doesn't work. Very Tesla