Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iPhone 15 pro “always on” as Tesla key advantage vs regular iPhone 15??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

azred

Apr 12, 2016
Chandler, AZ
While it definitely is a minor “first world problem,” I get annoyed by iPhone 13 frequently not connecting with my Tesla unless I take it out of my pocket and wake up the screen. I believe the same thing was true of my earlier iPhones, none of which were “always on” models.

Q: Will the the more expensive “always on” iPhone pro models solve this annoyance?

P.S. I talked to Tempe and Scottsdale Service Centers and they were clueless that what I described was even an issue. I’m sure I am not the only owner who misses having an experienced independent mechanic. Seven and a half years of owning three Teslas — including six and half years of Model 3/Y use of cellphones as keys - and it still seems like most of the staff are rookies. That’s why many of us just hope we can get our questions answered in this forum.

Last edited:
Reactions: unk45
While it definitely is a minor “first world problem,” I get annoyed by iPhone 13 frequently not connecting with my Tesla unless I take it out of my pocket and wake up the screen. I believe the same thing was true of my earlier iPhones, none of which were “always on” models.

Q: Will the the more expensive “always on” iPhone pro models solve this annoyance?

P.S. I talked to Tempe and Scottsdale Service Centers and they were clueless that what I described was even an issue. I’m sure I am not the only owner who misses having an experienced independent mechanic. Seven and a half years of owning three Teslas — including six and half years of Model 3/Y use of cellphones as keys - and it still seems like most of the staff are rookies. That’s why many of us just hope we can get our questions answered in this forum.
Neither my sister, nor her husband have iphone 15s and both use their phones (iphone13? older?) with their MYLR without issue (except for a bit last month).

So... I'm guessing, rather than the service folks, maybe you're misinformed and the real issue is something else?

Reactions: gaswalla

I have an iPhone 13 thats provided by my job. Where I work, we have been using iPhones as company phones pretty much since iPhones were first launched as a product (no I dont work for apple).

Anyway, Phone key works ok on this phone. I have had my model 3 since 2018, and have been using various iPhones as phone as key since then. I got this phone in October of 2021, and its been my phone key since I got it. All that background to say I am familiar with Tesla phone as key, and have been using it on various phones, and specifically on an iPhone 13 since about a month after iPhone 13 release.

Anyway, I say it works "ok" because it works about 95% of the time for me now. It used to work more like 99% of the time, but in the past 8-9 months or so, I have had infrequent issues, specifically with trying to open the trunk when I approach the car. I dont swipe away the Tesla app, I let it keep running (unless it has an issue, which is rare).

Note that in the iphone settings for the Tesla app, I have basically everything on, including background app refresh, and cellular data (and location set to always).

My wife also has an iPhone, which is our personal phone (not a work provided device). Hers is an iPhone 14 Pro Max, and I dont think it works any better or worse than my phone (but I am not with my wife 100% of the time she uses it). If she had a lot of problems with it, I would be hearing about it.

I dont think an iPhone pro or max is going to change your experience in a meaningful way.

Always on is a reference to the display. It does it affect app backgrounding.
I have a phone 15pro max and it has not worked maybe three times in the 7 or so months I’ve had it. I just take it out and eventually (but very quickly) you hear the car wake and then it works. Could be phone, could be the car, it’s just too infrequent to draw a conclusion. I’m comfortable enough joint carry a backup. 5+ years with my 2019 and not once have I been locked out, all those years not carrying the keycard.

Reactions: gaswalla