Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Irritated after 4 days of SR ownership.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If Tesla goes bankrupt, let's say Google buys it.
How would Google Tesla survive?
What would they do differently?
Is there a obvious solution that Elon is overlooking?
Yeah, defaulting on their $23 billion in liabilities would be an obvious solution...
Though it's not a great solution for shareholders and Elon is the biggest shareholder.

• Informative
Reactions: Leafdriver333
In what way does taking something away from someone else equate to “doing the right thing?”

That’s like taking a lollipop away from a kid at the bank because you didn’t get one.
Because Tesla would not be taking away anything, just respecting what the buyer agreed to buy and bringing the car to its value. If the person liked the additional features that was given for free as trial for a certain time, he/she is still allowed to buy them. In this way Tesla would do the right thing for the company from a monetary point of view and a marketing point of view and differentiating itself from the std dealer way of working.

Reactions: MXWing
Didn’t GM have to take a handout from the government just to stay in existence? Also, I believe you’re referring to GM losing $38.7 billion in market cap. Tesla reported a 702 million loss in hard cash.
Nope they lost $38.7 billion. It was for an entire year but still Tesla is going to have trouble competing with that! :p
GM didn’t stay in existence, the company you now know as GM is in fact “new GM”. Yes, the US government did provide debtor in possession financing to avoid liquidation of the company. As I recall there was a rather severe financial crisis at the time so private financing was tough to get. Right now I think Tesla would have no trouble getting financing. I’m no expert though!
Hopefully Tesla can become a trillion dollar company and Elon can get to Mars! I was just making the argument that bankruptcy would probably not be catastrophic for current Tesla owners.

I agree with what others are saying. It kinda irks me that the my P3D looks so similar to a standard Model 3. Wish they could offer us a little more. Hell we don't even have a true 'Performance' badge like the S/X.
Personally I love the fact that when I get my Model 3 Performance it will look basically the same as every other Tesla driving around. No need to draw attention with oversized fender flares, huge spoilers or bling bling wheels. You can keep your craptastic badging too. If they have the Duel Motor badging sorted out when I get mine it will be coming right off when I get the PPF. I don't need that crap to make me feel special, all it will take is proper application of the right pedal.

I asked them
I asked Tesla
before ordering mine.
They said no you don't get heated seats with SR.
So I ordered sr+.
Few days later they said they are selling SR+ as SR and they will deactivate heated seats. And allow downgrades.
Ok. So far.

So all I am saying is they should deactivate or give me my money back. They said no refunds after 7 days.
Then make it right.

No refund and no deactivation is not right.

So I bet they will make it right by deactivating.

All those who want free heated seats are the true whiners.
Because Tesla would not be taking away anything, just respecting what the buyer agreed to buy and bringing the car to its value. If the person liked the additional features that was given for free as trial for a certain time, he/she is still allowed to buy them. In this way Tesla would do the right thing for the company from a monetary point of view and a marketing point of view and differentiating itself from the std dealer way of working.
So by that virtue, Tesla could be manufacturing cloth seats at this very moment. Expect them to show up at your home with them so they can rip the fake leather ones out and replace them with what they said would be installed?

Nope.
They said they would leave the hardware same as SR+.
Only the software limit/disable will be done.
Get the facts straight.
Obviously you are new to sarcasm. I wasn't responding to you, but rather to Talax74 (honestly I don't know why your post was quoted in mine) who said that if Tesla deactivated the heated seats then " Tesla would not be taking away anything, just respecting what the buyer agreed to buy and bringing the car to its value. If the person liked the additional features that was given for free as trial for a certain time, he/she is still allowed to buy them. In this way Tesla would do the right thing for the company from a monetary point of view and a marketing point of view and differentiating itself from the std dealer way of working" Which is complete and utter BS. Just because Tesla originally said that the SR wouldn't have heated seats doesn't mean that they should arbitrarily deactivate that feature after the customer has taken possession. If you haven't noticed, Tesla changes their minds a lot, hence my snarky comment about removing leather seats, (they originally said that they would be cloth on the SR....get it....) I just don't get the amount of people who are so unhappy with what they got based solely on what others got. Get the F over it.

Nope they lost $38.7 billion. It was for an entire year but still Tesla is going to have trouble competing with that! :p
GM didn’t stay in existence, the company you now know as GM is in fact “new GM”. Yes, the US government did provide debtor in possession financing to avoid liquidation of the company. As I recall there was a rather severe financial crisis at the time so private financing was tough to get. Right now I think Tesla would have no trouble getting financing. I’m no expert though!
Hopefully Tesla can become a trillion dollar company and Elon can get to Mars! I was just making the argument that bankruptcy would probably not be catastrophic for current Tesla owners.
“it’s also important to keep in mind that the $38.6 billion “loss” was from a one-time accounting charge — not from its operations. In this case, the charge represented a bundle of tax credits in the U.S., Canada and Germany that GM found it couldn’t use. For you and me, that’s like the difference between taking a cut in our salary and losing a big deduction on our tax return.”

Obviously you are new to sarcasm. I wasn't responding to you, but rather to Talax74 (honestly I don't know why your post was quoted in mine) who said that if Tesla deactivated the heated seats then " Tesla would not be taking away anything, just respecting what the buyer agreed to buy and bringing the car to its value. If the person liked the additional features that was given for free as trial for a certain time, he/she is still allowed to buy them. In this way Tesla would do the right thing for the company from a monetary point of view and a marketing point of view and differentiating itself from the std dealer way of working" Which is complete and utter BS. Just because Tesla originally said that the SR wouldn't have heated seats doesn't mean that they should arbitrarily deactivate that feature after the customer has taken possession. If you haven't noticed, Tesla changes their minds a lot, hence my snarky comment about removing leather seats, (they originally said that they would be cloth on the SR....get it....) I just don't get the amount of people who are so unhappy with what they got based solely on what others got. Get the F over it.

Thank you for pointing out the reason of your comment.
My apologies if I was not clear, let me try to rephrase.
1) I'm not whining if somebody else is getting more, good for them!
2) I replied to a comment that said "In what way does taking something away from someone else equate to “doing the right thing?”" -> Tesla is doing the right thing since
a) the buyer bought a software limited version of the car
b) If Tesla applies the software limitation,Tesla will have the opportunity to create additional revenues with those SR owners that will want to upgrade to a SR+ because they want that specific features, that will pay to have the additional feature.
c) Tesla will not give the impression that is better to buy a cheaper version gambling on getting something that other are paying (again the ones that paid more should not complain). If this behavior happens then Tesla will limit again their revenues. For instance if I want heated seats I'll definitely not buy an SR but an SR+ (+4500 USD revenues with the same car) or I'll have to pay more for having the heated seats (+??)

I'm looking at this situation from a Tesla point of view.

I agree with your comment: "I just don't get the amount of people who are so unhappy with what they got based solely on what others got." I agreed to pay for something and I'm happy with it.
Anyhow if a company is telling me they allow me to save money/have something better for the same amount I'll be more than happy to do what I need to do to have a benefit. Sorry for being egocentric but I don't care about what others got, I care about what I got and what I can get and what is promised to me, and I was told that I can downgrade. If the SR guys will keep the SR+ features I don't care (good for them), as long as I can downgrade and get a refund.
If I'll be given a real SR (I mean the SW limited version that Tesla said I'm entitled to have) instead of an SR+ while all other guys that paid for an SR will get an SR+ I don't care, good for them! But also good for me that I'm saving 2500USD giving up features I don't need.

Disclaimer: the below point is purely about perception
It looks to me that a lot of comments in this thread are about people that would like to buy an SR or bought an SR and would like to get an SR+, or from people that paid more in the past and would not be happy if it will be given to the SR+ guys something they were not given: the possibility of a refund.

In an EV, range is king. To me the best Model 3 is the LR RWD. I own both an LR RWD and a AWD with 19" rims. The 19" rims with the stickier tires kill range compared to the LR RWD with Aeros. The LR RWD is still very quick.

The sound system in the LR is better than the SR and SR+. There are also additional features like traffic, satellite maps and music streaming that aren't in the SR.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Tesla's brand is strong in its arena, it would get bought up, most likely.

What makes Tesla special is a lot more than its intellectual property, its technology. That's part of it and Tesla is years ahead of the competition. But the reason Tesla is so far ahead is its attitude. And the reason Teslas are te safest cars on the road is because it chooses to spend the money on safety. These things didn't happen because Musk is smarter than the CEOs of other car companies. They happened because he made choices.

If Tesla were bought out by another company, it would become more profitable by lowering quality standards, by losering safety standards, and by compromising on the all-electric promise. We'd see Teslas with gasoline engines to extend range. We'd see the kind of crappy customer service other car companies give. We'd see a switch to the dealership model and hard pushing of useless add-ons and the commission model of selling cars where you have to negotiate a price. Tesla would become just another car company but with a bigger line of EVs and plug-in hybrids.

This would make me very unhappy.

But I don't think it's going to happen because Elon is a man with a vision and a commitment to it. He's done some wacky things, and he's shown bad judgement at times, and some of his business decisions have been questionable. But he has a commitment to a vision of a future of electric transportation.

Of course declaring bankruptcy and defaulting on bonds would also make me very unhappy because I own a big chunk of solar bonds. Right now they're paying very nice interest and I think Tesla will continue to make good on them.

Reactions: pilotSteve