Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Irritated after 4 days of SR ownership.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MXWing

Oct 13, 2016
USA
So after 4 days or so of SR ownership I’m irritated.

At speed - whether it be 45, 60, 70 - it drives far too closely to my 86.5K Model 3.

It already looks like it inside.

I know the cars quite well so I can identify practically every difference - down to IGBT vs MOSFET for the inverters.

Not saying the 3P doesn’t have its advantages but I am unsure if I would say no if Tesla offered a 40K check to downgrade my 3P to a 3SR.

This 35K car is apparently the best kept automotive secret in the world. It’s a secret because Tesla actually has stock and every sedan on the road hasn’t been replaced yet.

I calculate it to be a 42K car in 2016 money if the current iteration was released at that time.

Tremendous value.

More love and differentiation needed on the higher trims.

Maybe free Mario kart in the apps section and make it a $100 micro transaction for 3SR.

While I don't have a Model 3, I agree w/ MXwing here. Not NEARLY enough differentiation on the higher trim cars. My old BMW M5 had a number of M5 only items beyond the power and suspension including:

1. M5 specific paint - Lemans Blue
2. M5 specific rims (that didn't look like a larger version of one of the standard rims)
3. M5 specific seat options...two different ones (two-tone sport and luxury)
4. M5 specific full leather options
5. M5 specific rear bumper cover and exhaust (no exhaust on Tesla of course)
6. M5 specific gauges
etc...

Heck, my wife's XC60 R-Design was even similar with R-Design specific paint colors (ours is passion red) , steering wheel, rims, interior trim, steering gear ratio, seats, etc.

He's saying the car is the same for half the cost. But we already knew that - unless you are accelerating hard, it's basically the same vehicle. His SR will also get better range for the kwh because of the 18" aeros and single motor.

Not to mention a lighter battery pack that you can safely charge to 100% since it's software locked

I think this just solidifies why I'm going to purchase the LR model 3 vs the performance. I can't justify 10k for the same hardware except bigger tires and a spoiler and pedal
Pretty sure you'll not be disappointed if you do. I have an LR AWD and am perfectly happy with it. Plenty fast, great range, and I don't have to deal with those range-sucking and pothole-averse 20" wheels. I could have saved several thousand bucks by waiting a few months, but luckily the drop wasn't anywhere near as bad as the P3D+ ...

Reactions: Hans L
Why did you buy a second M3?

I’m not questioning your choice...Ive just been looking for a reason to buy a second one myself...hoping you have a good reason I can use.

I made a thread on that topic as well.

Added second Model 3 to family, 3SR stupid cheap.

Math shows I can own a 3SR for 250 per month if I can sell it for 25K in 2 years. We are talking all in costs including taxes, registration, etc.

That and my Volt on lease is coming close to hitting allowed mileage. Not paying 1 penny into overages.

Last edited:
Pretty sure you'll not be disappointed if you do. I have an LR AWD and am perfectly happy with it. Plenty fast, great range, and I don't have to deal with those range-sucking and pothole-averse 20" wheels. I could have saved several thousand bucks by waiting a few months, but luckily the drop wasn't anywhere near as bad as the P3D+ ...

If anything I would get the LR with 19 inch wheels. Anything I can do after market. The performance is still scratching an itch, but I think I’ll want to spend that 10k on tints and some ceramic protection etc

Reactions: hcdavis3
Tesla would take all the ICEs by brute force if they could, brute force being offering a vehicle so compelling, it literally bludgeons everything else out there in terms of value/performance.

Pleasing people willing to put down more coin is a distraction, especially if it nets a similar margin.

I assume you were also a day 1 reservation? Tesla should seriously consider giving free unlimited supercharging for paying the 5k for early premium upgrades packages, considering the seats, headliner, wood dash, etc were considered the best materials throughout compared to standard models being a complete lie. We paid 5k for an extra amp, 2 speakers, and some almost negligible software perks

I assume you were also a day 1 reservation?

We got the AWD LR in July 2108. Its a car. The 35K version does essentially the same thing. And so does the P with every option checked. We wanted long range for travel and AWD for being in winter conditions, snowboarding etc.

We know that newer versions will offer more at a lower price over time. We were able to get what we wanted and use it - instead of waiting while Tesla improved the cars, options and prices. Tesla will always improve the cars and prices, while adding new features.

SR+ owners are irritated SR buyers get the same car with few software limits for $2500 less. And some SR+ owners wish to downgrade but Tesla won't let them.
Compared to the OP or other $55K+ Model 3 owners, SR+ owners are the least ripped off of all Model 3 owners.

My consolation as SR+ owner is the 5.3 sec 0-60 time vs 5.6 sec of SR.
But if SR actually has 5.3 sec also..... then I would be upset for paying $2500 for the heated seats because that will be the only remaining difference that I care about.

Reactions: Big-T