Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

IRS Audit - Manufacturer Certification Statement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone gotten a Manufacturers Certification Statement from Tesla for the US Federal Investment Tax Credit? Tesla mentions on their website that it complies, but other manufacturers actually give a written Certification (typically a one pager with part numbers and a statement that says "these items comply...". I'm currently experiencing the joy of an IRS audit of my 2022 credit claim on Tesla's installation. Not having a certification statement is causing a complication.

• Informative
Reactions: cali8484
why would one need such a statement. If you paid x, seems you get to write of x?

From 26 U.S. Code § 25D

(2) Qualified solar electric property expenditure
The term “qualified solar electric property expenditure” means an expenditure for property which uses solar energy to generate electricity for use in a dwelling unit located in the United States and used as a residence by the taxpayer.

Based on my ongoing personal experience in an audit, the IRS is wanting proof that qualified solar electric property has been installed. The IRS auditors are not electrical engineers, scientists, or in any way experts in the field of solar power generation and battery storage. So they rely on these certification statements. My auditor had several examples of people failing their audit and having to reimburse their tax credit due to not having these (although there may have been compounding factors).

They want a certification statement from the manufacturer. My accountant that's handling the audit provided me with several examples from other installers / equipment manufacturers. Here is an example from Enphase:
Interesting, thanks.
Does IRS want the same document for solar panels? I guess for storage battery as well.
I must have been lucky in 2012 and 2020, no audit.
ps.
it's almost like a certification that the equipment installed is part of the solar system? Enphase didn't specify exactly what was installed just what they design and sell is solar related equipment?

Last edited: