Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is a lack of instrumentation dangerous?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've driven an S2000 since 2002, I'm on my second one. The radio controls in it:
View attachment 252433

are the same as in my first one, and they are not in my line of sight while driving.
View attachment 252434

I use them all the time without looking. On first contact I can tell:
  • SOURCE = round button
  • CHANNEL = rectangle button without indent
  • MUTE = rectangular button with indent (a rather useless green light as I can't see it while driving)
  • VOLUME = toggle button
If I feel the one I don't wish to use, I just move my hand - no need to look at the buttons for that.

If your muscle memory's that bad, perhaps you should see a doctor.

That's an especially unique and simple layout.

That's an especially unique and simple layout.

I did say "In a vehicle the buttons & knobs tend to have rather distinct shapes". Behind my right hand are the AC controls:
IMG_8873.jpg

And yes, there's a special vent configuration for Top Down. When select the normal vents in the dash are turned off, as the heat or AC would just get blown away, while this vent behind the stick and above the radio (the silver panel flips down to reveal it) is turned on.
IMG_8874.jpg

It blows across your lap to keep your core hot or cold.

FWIW, I have limited mobility in my hands at this stage in my life. Keyboards are almost impossible for me to use. Touch screens are much better for accuracy. What works for me best is voice recognition! This is going to be the future of Tesla. I don't think I am typical and it should not be construed that way, but voice recognition is the answer to everyone's concerns, it works for me already.

• Helpful
Reactions: bmzl and DR61
Oh really? Here's a test. Put the keyboard 12 inches to your right. Without looking press the D key. This idea that you can reach over to something your hands aren't already on and hit a particular button amongst other buttons just because they are physical buttons is what is silly.

D.

this is a forum full of tech nerds. what do you expect? Most probably never look at their keyboard. I at least never do...

I've been a way for a while and haven't been able to respond.
As for all of the comments that headlights are automatic...yes, most cars have that, but what do you do when the sensor fails and your headlights don't turn on....do you just take a cab or an Uber instead?

Also, a physical button is easier to establish muscle memory with. A screen changes, same with the position of the screen. Example being your cell phone. When you unlock your iphone and you are not on screen one, but 2 screen swipes to the right....how does this work for muscle memory without having to look at the screen? Or are you perfect and always lock your phone on the same screen/view?

I've been a way for a while and haven't been able to respond.
As for all of the comments that headlights are automatic...yes, most cars have that, but what do you do when the sensor fails and your headlights don't turn on....do you just take a cab or an Uber instead?

You can turn them on manually.

Also, a physical button is easier to establish muscle memory with. A screen changes, same with the position of the screen. Example being your cell phone. When you unlock your iphone and you are not on screen one, but 2 screen swipes to the right....how does this work for muscle memory without having to look at the screen? Or are you perfect and always lock your phone on the same screen/view?

A car is not a phone. The buttons I need to press while driving are always in exactly the same place on the screen. Unlike a car with physical buttons, the ones I don't need to access while driving are hidden, making it even easier.

Reactions: Dax279 and DR61
Oh yes they do. You need to look at your keyboard every time you move your hands back to it. Precisely analogous to moving your hand to the instrument cluster.

Thank you kindly.

Depends on how much you type or how much you drive.

I feel the bumps on the F and J keys. I touch my keyboard, feel the bumps, and type. But I don't manipulate my car near as much as I type. Wrong analogy. You adjust your car once every few minutes or longer. My wipers turn on automatically. So do my lights! Here again, the buttons one might use most are on the steering wheel. You don't look at those. The car is nothing like a keyboard.

And I call BS on the having to "look away from the front windshield" some mention. Your eyes travel all over the place. I look at my rear view mirror. OH NO! Keep your eyes on the road in front. I just got back from a couple thousand mile trip and got disgusted with the people who are cruising down the fast lane completely ignorant of cars stacking up behind them. They will pull out from behind a slow truck, and then s-l-o-w-l-y creep past the truck, instead of getting up to the speed of traffic in the new lane. And then stay there, only to come out of their coma as I cruise by at 90+ on the right. I know. How dangerous.

Some people shouldn't drive. I hear you!

Reactions: Dax279 and Runt8
I think people are making a mountain from a molehill on this. I still call bs on the muscle memory thing in most use cases. You turn up the heat or ac and you still look to see the result. You change the station you still look to see what one you landed on. Most of the buttons you press charges something, which you still naturally want to visually confirm.

Rubbish..

When i press the button for the next radio station/CD/Track I don't look to see which one it is, I listen and do I like what I hear, if not press it again.
I turn the volume up, i don't care whether it is on level 10 or 12, i care whether its loud enough or too loud above road noise etc.

I look to make sure I hit the right thing when I can't find the correct function by feel, and I look to see what happened if something goes wrong and the result isn't what i expected/wanted.

Reactions: SpiceWare and mmd
Rubbish..

When i press the button for the next radio station/CD/Track I don't look to see which one it is, I listen and do I like what I hear, if not press it again.
I turn the volume up, i don't care whether it is on level 10 or 12, i care whether its loud enough or too loud above road noise etc.

I look to make sure I hit the right thing when I can't find the correct function by feel, and I look to see what happened if something goes wrong and the result isn't what i expected/wanted.

And you'll have steering wheel controls for that in the model 3 it appears.

Reactions: T-Will