Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is a lack of instrumentation dangerous?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sorry, but there is no way you will commit 31 buttons and knobs to muscle memory.

This topic's silly, but so is this statement. I seldom look at these, and there's 100+ buttons between them
IMG_8869.jpg

Reactions: Krugerrand
This topic's silly, but so is this statement. I seldom look at these, and there's 100+ buttons between them
View attachment 252347
For what it's worth, I still have to look at a keyboard while typing, lol... luckily with touch screens slowly eliminating the need for physical keyboards, I'm finally making peace with never having developed typing skillzzz.

Reactions: SpiceWare and T34ME
Actually it is, because you can't do it by feel, there is no tactile or haptic feedback on the Tesla screen.

I routinely find buttons on my BMW with feel and muscle memory without looking at anything.

I imagine eventually the brain will adapt to the new technology but you'll still always need to glance over, and in my opinion that is still inferior.

There's a reason that even though there have been glass cockpit systems in aircraft for 25 years there are still 100+ buttons and knobs.
so what. use the steering wheel controls....

• Disagree
Reactions: voip-ninja
my only concern is few days back when I was driving the rain was falling inconsistently and the M3 came into my head like playing with the screen to turn the windshield on & off- specially in high speed could be a problem.

While that's a valid point, I'm pretty sure it's a temporary one. I'm expecting Tesla will switch them to automatic wipers as soon as they getting the rain sensing wipers for AP2+ working.

so what. use the steering wheel controls....

That's a rather ignorant comment considering that currently the steering wheel controls in Model 3 do very few things (volume and skip during media playback, adjust your mirrors or steer wheel column is about it) and there's no timeline of when they will do more.

Additionally you still need to navigate the screen to get to a selection to choose what the steering wheel controls will now do.

For what it's worth, I still have to look at a keyboard while typing, lol... luckily with touch screens slowly eliminating the need for physical keyboards, I'm finally making peace with never having developed typing skillzzz.

I'm the opposite - I hate touchscreen keyboards. First thing I bought when I got an iPad was a keyboard cover. Touchscreens for typing feels slow and cumbersome without distinct, physically separate places to press and tactile feedback. You can take the physical keyboards that I use at home and work over my dead body. I'm not sure how my classmates wrote their hundred page ethics paper using an iPad without a physical keyboard. Would have bashed my head in 10 pages in. Its fine for updating social media but anything else is a no go in my book.

That's a rather ignorant comment considering that currently the steering wheel controls in Model 3 do very few things (volume and skip during media playback, adjust your mirrors or steer wheel column is about it) and there's no timeline of when they will do more.

Additionally you still need to navigate the screen to get to a selection to choose what the steering wheel controls will now do.

well that's an oversight then and needs to be patched in. You can move the damn thing in 5 dimensions on both sides of the steering wheel. Considering there is no dedicated dashLCD which uses those buttons you have esentially more functions than the early BMW Idrive system.

View attachment 252347

Oh really? Here's a test. Put the keyboard 12 inches to your right. Without looking press the D key. This idea that you can reach over to something your hands aren't already on and hit a particular button amongst other buttons just because they are physical buttons is what is silly.

Oh really? Here's a test. Put the keyboard 12 inches to your right. Without looking press the D key. This idea that you can reach over to something your hands aren't already on and hit a particular button amongst other buttons just because they are physical buttons is what is silly.

d

Wow. Managed to roll my office chair 2 feet to the right, spin 360 degrees, roll back to my desk and find the D key with my eyes closed..

According to some i should get an olympic medal for that :D It did take me a couple of seconds to find the pointer button between the G&H keys, but then again its not something I regularly do.. practice would improve it no doubt.

I wonder how the millions of PC gamers manage to play games like shooters where looking away from the monitor for 3-4 seconds to hunt for a key = you died. Its called muscle memory paired with tactile feedback physical buttons come with.

• Informative
Reactions: SpiceWare
d

Wow. Managed to roll my office chair 2 feet to the right, spin 360 degrees, roll back to my desk and find the D key with my eyes closed..

According to some i should get an olympic medal for that :D It did take me a couple of seconds to find the pointer button between the G&H keys, but then again its not something I regularly do.. practice would improve it no doubt.

Yes, because groping around and instrument panel is so much safer than glancing over.

In relation to this topic, that's an extremely silly response as the controls in your vehicle are not going to up and move 12 inches to the right while you're sitting in the driver seat.

As far as the keyboard, have you really never noticed these handy bumps on the F and J keys that provide tactile feedback? They let you orient yourself without having to look at the keyboard. Even without those, just find the left end of that big, long, space bar then move up to the C, diagonally up to the D, and Bob's your uncle.

In a vehicle the buttons & knobs tend to have rather distinct shapes, making it that much easier to orient yourself without looking.

IMG_8870.jpg

I wonder how the millions of PC gamers manage to play games like shooters where looking away from the monitor for 3-4 seconds to hunt for a key = you died. Its called muscle memory paired with tactile feedback physical buttons come with.

You do realize that muscle memory works just as well for buttons on a touch screen, right?

Look, this is silly. If you keep your hands on physical keys, the tactile nature helps keep them in place and you can move them small amounts without looking (like touch typing). Also, with tactile feedback you can reach over and grope around for a button, but that's too slow to be useful for anything. With muscle memory and an instantaneous glance that you don't even realize you are doing you can quickly reach across and tap a control button in a car, and that works just as easily on a touchscreen as a physical button. This idea that somehow you need to focus your attention to press controls on a touscreen, but don't even need to glance to use a physical buttton is just wrong.

Reactions: Runt8
In relation to this topic, that's an extremely silly response as the controls in your vehicle are not going to up and move 12 inches to the right while you're sitting in the driver seat.

As far as the keyboard, have you really never noticed these handy bumps on the F and J keys that provide tactile feedback? They let you orient yourself without having to look at the keyboard. Even without those, just find the left end of that big, long, space bar then move up to the C, diagonally up to the D, and Bob's your uncle.

In a vehicle the buttons & knobs tend to have rather distinct shapes, making it that much easier to orient yourself without looking.

View attachment 252427

You keep your fingers on the keyboard, and I'd love to see somebody touching controls in a car to see which one to press instead of glancing across as they tap the button. They'd look like an idiot.

Or let me put this another way. When you reach over and press a button in your car, do you feel it first to make sure it's the right one before pressing it, or is your first contact with the button to press it? If the former, then you use your car controls differently than I do, and physical buttons are better for you. If the latter, then that works the same way on a touch screen.

Last edited:
Reactions: Runt8
You keep your fingers on the keyboard, and I'd love to see somebody touching controls in a car to see which one to press instead of glancing across as they tap the button.

I've driven an S2000 since 2002, I'm on my second one. The radio controls in it:
IMG_8871.jpg

are the same as in my first one, and they are not in my line of sight while driving.
IMG_8872.jpg

I use them all the time without looking. On first contact I can tell:
  • SOURCE = round button
  • CHANNEL = rectangle button without indent
  • MUTE = rectangular button with indent (a rather useless green light as I can't see it while driving)
  • VOLUME = toggle button
If I feel the one I don't wish to use, I just move my hand - no need to look at the buttons for that.

If your muscle memory's that bad, perhaps you should see a doctor.

Reactions: 03DSG
For what it's worth, I still have to look at a keyboard while typing, lol...
LOL - I was introduced to a Commodore PET in 1980, start of my freshman year of high school. While teaching myself programming, I realized that hunt & peck typing wasn't going to cut it, so I took typing my sophomore year (one of a handful of guys in that class). It was a boring and tedious class, but well worth the time spent in it.