Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is a Tesla easy to steal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the test drive and note that the car is 'keyless' and worryingly there is no key just an easy to lose card. By the bye that's they way it is, the question . . . . all other keyless cars and seemingly easy to steel, is it the same with the 'keyless' Tesla?

The latest wireless keys are now pretty secure, 2 things have been implemented (although it tends to be on new models, older models continue with the old way of working), one is the key sleeps when not being moved so left in a draw, you can't boost its signal, and the other is round trip timing - so a signal relay attack is detected.

The bluetooth key for Teslas when they first came out weren't great on security though, mobile phones within bluetooth range would leave cars unlocked. Not sure how they did it, but thats said to be sorted now.

I did a lot or research into this before buying my M3 and the short answer is no, they’re not easy to steal. If you’re worried about the keyless aspect, add PIN to drive. But these cars are so well connected (and monitored) that they’re currently not going walkies……

Reactions: UkNorthampton
You can have a key if you want, £150. I have one as a backup for my phone, I don't carry cards routinely.

I don’t think most people use the cards. Certainly for Model 3s, the default is to use your phone (via Bluetooth, which is highly secure) and leave the cards in a safe place at home.
Leaving your card at home is risky, if your phone goes flat you can't get into the car. I recently had a situation in Sainsburys where for some reason my phone drained flat in less than 30mins with a 30% charge to start with, I couldn't pay for my shopping and had to go to the car (not the Tesla at the time) to charge the phone to get a few percent in to be able go back down to pay. I now carry a small card wallet with a couple of credit cards, my Tesla card and a spare door key. Much as I'd love to trust my phone it does need a backup for those rare occasions. Easy to carry a small card wallet than a battery pack which is the other option.

You can have a key if you want, £150. I have one as a backup for my phone, I don't carry cards routinely.

It seems the key fob *may* have the “sleep when not used” security feature to guard against relay attacks, but I find the wording in the manual a bit random.

3188886E-8B93-4C27-BBA0-CD1236E4E8FD.jpeg

What I’d really like to know is…. does “within vehicle range” also mean on my nightstand? We keep the keys to the volvo in a little faraday box anyway, and quite like the idea of the Tesla fob, but not if it’s going to reduce the overall security of the vehicle unnecessarily.

It seems the key fob *may* have the “sleep when not used” security feature to guard against relay attacks, but I find the wording in the manual a bit random.

View attachment 719536

What I’d really like to know is…. does “within vehicle range” also mean on my nightstand? We keep the keys to the volvo in a little faraday box anyway, and quite like the idea of the Tesla fob, but not if it’s going to reduce the overall security of the vehicle unnecessarily.

The Tesla key fob uses a type of Bluetooth so isn't the same as regular key fobs.

Always carry the key card. The phone key isn’t bullet proof.
i forgot both cards on a recent mini-break. The car asking for a card a couple of times was a bit of a panic.
phones worked in the end fortunately!
Second that. Always have the card handy unless youre literally going round the corner to something. the Tesla app is great but phones arent fool proof and easy break/drain etc. I’ve had the same - sometimes it asks for the card, perhaps after an ios Upgrade of app upgrade.

Reactions: Lord Farquad
Did that in a BMW rental once! Had to get a lock smith out to pick the locks...
I had the reverse, boot wouldn't shut on a BMW I had. Every time I closed it it popped open and wouldn't latch. After a few minutes I realised my car keys were in the jacket pocket I'd just put in the boot. I thought that was a really good feature to protect users from being stupid.

I must be old school as I still carry a wallet and have the key card in that, I have the car paired to my phone too and my car came with a key fob which has the house keys on - I'd say I was covered for all eventualities