Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is anyone else mad?? How to get Tesla to listen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First off, I love my M3dm, best car I’ve ever owned. We gave a deposit within 24hrs of the unveiling of the M3, waited 2+ yrs for it. We financially reached for the dual motor as we were originally planning on buying the standard M3 but at the time it looked like it was going to be an even longer wait and the dual motor just became available that June.

We paid Tesla 54k , no autopilot, black, this is the peak retail of what customers paid for a M3dm to Tesla. Today every M3 is sold w/autopilot standard (except supposedly the standard) for safety reasons and for less. And yet the early adopters of the M3 have not received an update activating the new version of Autopilot to the early M3 owners.

I’m mad in the fact this group is being overlooked/ignored by Tesla. We gave deposits on good faith, helped Tesla get these cars into production. I tried to call my advisor in Las Vegas and couldn’t get through. Relayed my frustration to my local dealer in Dedham MA. I was told the message would be relayed to the general manager. I have yet to receive a follow up call.

Am I wrong? Do other owners feel the same way? Sorry for the long post.

First off, I love my M3dm, best car I’ve ever owned. We gave a deposit within 24hrs of the unveiling of the M3, waited 2+ yrs for it. We financially reached for the dual motor as we were originally planning on buying the standard M3 but at the time it looked like it was going to be an even longer wait and the dual motor just became available that June.

We paid Tesla 54k , no autopilot, black, this is the peak retail of what customers paid for a M3dm to Tesla. Today every M3 is sold w/autopilot standard (except supposedly the standard) for safety reasons and for less. And yet the early adopters of the M3 have not received an update activating the new version of Autopilot to the early M3 owners.

I’m mad in the fact this group is being overlooked/ignored by Tesla. We gave deposits on good faith, helped Tesla get these cars into production. I tried to call my advisor in Las Vegas and couldn’t get through. Relayed my frustration to my local dealer in Dedham MA. I was told the message would be relayed to the general manager. I have yet to receive a follow up call.

They’re not going to give you (or any of the rest of us) freebies. Save your energy.

Tesla always touts their philosophy “safety first”. They state Autopilot makes the cars safer and that is the reason it’s standard. If that is the case then All Tesla’s should receive the update.

I believe a safety feature that is now standard to be retroactively given to previous models.

This would be like Tesla initially offering antilock brakes as an up charge, software locked. Then realizing that this is a great safety feature making it standard but leaving out the early buyers.

AutoPilot isn’t a safety feature. They’re including the new (non-“Enhanced”) AutoPilot offering to justify raising the price of the car, and to fit their new pricing model for “FSD” which now includes of the rest of the old EAP offering (e.g. Nav on AP, summon, etc).

They want people using it, yes, but it isn’t strictly a “safety feature”. Its main purpose is convenience.

I’m sorry that you have had this frustrating experience. I’m also jealous that you have enjoyed driving a Model 3 for almost one year while I drove my musty ‘08 135i and spent ca. $2000 on repairs. OTOH, I spent less for my Model 3. OTOH I got half the tax credit that you did. I hit a point where it was worth it. AP is cool, but I could live without it. If new features pop up and I can’t buy them or the car gets a lot cheaper, then I will still be happy. I’m part of a movement and my purchase is lighting a fire under the other auto makers behinds.

I just want to touch upon, if this was a hardware issue I would completely understand. It would be unreasonable to ask for a hardware change but the non-AP M3 and new M3s are exactly the same.

You do realize that software development is actually more expensive than the hardware right?

Why do you expect Tesla to give out freebies? Does BMW do that? Does Audi do that? You already get other free features like sentry mode ... via software upgrade. Things like this would probably not be free by other companies.

Additionally, its not like Tesla has surplus of cash, they need money more than ever.

Today every M3 is sold w/autopilot standard (except supposedly the standard) for safety reasons and for less. And yet the early adopters of the M3 have not received an update activating the new version of Autopilot to the early M3 owners.
If that is the case then All Tesla’s should receive the update.

Which update? Anyone who purchased Autopilot last year has the same features (actually, more) than someone who gets it today. Do you mean that everyone should get Autopilot for free? That wouldn't make sense because Tesla isn't giving it out for free now - they just packaged it into the price of the car itself.

Also remember that you were able to get $3,750 more in federal tax credit than anyone who purchases today.

I’m sorry that you have had this frustrating experience. I’m also jealous that you have enjoyed driving a Model 3 for almost one year while I drove my musty ‘08 135i and spent ca. $2000 on repairs. OTOH, I spent less for my Model 3. OTOH I got half the tax credit that you did. I hit a point where it was worth it. AP is cool, but I could live without it. If new features pop up and I can’t buy them or the car gets a lot cheaper, then I will still be happy. I’m part of a movement and my purchase is lighting a fire under the other auto makers behinds.

And I love starting the A/C, opening the front trunk and unlocking the car from my Apple watch. And scorching Jags and Porsches. And charging my car at 05:00 in my garage while I get ready to go for a run. And sending the locations of new and untried restaurants from my phone to my car. And playing the hypermile game. And turning off climate control in my garage, inching the car out and listening to every incidental sound from the drivetrain...I really, really, really like doing that.

You just might have some quirky things that you love about your Tesla, no? You realize that you own something really special and amazing, yes?

Your the lucky one that could have got AP + FSD for like $5k (when it should have been $11k after purchase). I paid $8k at purchase (plus tax) !!

Maybe eventually they will make all Model 3’s have basic AP.

What they include or charge for new purchases is expected to change and doesn’t bother me a bit. I want them to succeed and do what ever it takes. We all win if they succeed.

I’m not referring to the original AP that was initially offered. I’m referring to the stripped down version AP that comes standard today.

In regards to the 3750 difference in tax credits. The current model pricing and 3750 tax credit, total cost is still less to a buyer today.

the tax credit amount is a moot issue. That is something that should be brought up with your elected officials.

That's really unfortunate I definitely understand the pain. Still love my m3. I will hold off on upgrading my current m3 once a bigger battery refresh releases. For the record I paid $6.5k for EAP after deliver (I just wanted AP) but I'm still happy with the car. It's really the best long commuter (120 mile RT) car of all time.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
I’m not referring to the original AP that was initially offered. I’m referring to the stripped down version AP that comes standard today.

The problem is if they turned on AP for free to you, then I would suddenly want the $$ refunded that I paid for AP (total of $8k, BTW). Tesla doesn’t want to have to refund everyone who bought EAP $2k or whatever the Basic AP costs, so they aren’t going to do that.

You really missed out on the fire sale they had in March that let you buy both packages for way cheaper than I did. Talk about punishing early adopters, that one really stung.