Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is AWD worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all , first post on this site , I ordered a model Y RWD in early November 22 , with last week’s changes, the same sum of money will get me the AWD

I suppose I’m asking if it’s a considerably superior driving experience?

Range isn’t really an issue but I do hate cars which spin the wheels taking off

Reactions: C-Bus Y
since your in ireland and they very rarely get snow and me having been there many of times driving the entire ring road around ireland and northern ireland and going on a bunch of smaller farm roads you should be more than fine with RWD
That was my original instinct but I’ve heard all round handling is superior, the AWD is now 14 k cheaper than a week ago, RWD is 7 k cheaper

I purchased my all wheel drive, based on another lie from Elon. I was told that if one motor died you can still drive on the other one. I felt this was very important to have the redundancy, especially with new technology. I have not seen one example of this ever happening. I have seen many examples of when one is taken out, you lose both. In my opinion, this was only marketing, and they have not repeated it in years.

You also can’t switch to one motor for more efficiency to extend the range when it’s not necessary, why is that? Two motors doing regen, and one motor for drive seems like it would be more efficient

When will they add the snow mode, For customers who have purchased all wheel drive.

Last edited:
It's a no brainer really.
If you can get a AWD LR for the same price of your ordered RWD SR (and you can now!), just get the LR.
Ask Tesla if they can deliver you a LR instead of the SR under your Nov. 22 order.
If they say no (most probably will), just order a LR and cancel your previous order.

Reactions: Choncho and iamnid
I had the same decision to take.
I went for the RWD (before price cut ... sob ...) for the following reasons:
> I've had a RWD electric (Volvo) for the last 7 years before Tesla and I dind't have any issue, even with fresh snow on the street
> It does require less power to move (1 engine consumption < 2 engines consumption)
> I don't need more than 300 HP (the RWD is already a way FAST and REACTIVE when pushing)
> I don't care about 70 km more of range (with supercharger you're on the go for another 200 km in 15-20 mins, in case needed)
> It costs less than the LR (money is still a topic)
> I don't think that there's this "redundancy" ... and I would not care
> There's the option to activate "slippery ground" option that let's you actually use the gas pedal in a more "soft" way (used it, very useful)

I had the chance to test it already on fresh snow, during heavy snowing, when streets were not yet cleaned.... NO PROBLEM AT ALL !
I even tried to make it "drift" and it does just a little, but then electronic controls fixed the steer automatically and I never had the sensation to be in danger.

It's not just AWD vs RWD, it's also a big increase in range.
And range on an EV is king.
Even if, being in Ireland, you don't need all the range.

For "only" 7K more, i would certainly get the LR AWD, no matter what.
Well ... "BIG" increase from 450 to 520 km ?
Does this worth 7k ?

Considering the real ranges that are a % of the total, the different is most probably even less ...

I know many that just consider the range as a "must have", but in reality, most people drive 60-80 km per day, on average.
And if you have to drive longer, Tesla will plan the stops at superchargers for you, with actually no need to "full tank" the battery ... just go to 80% (that takes few minutes) and you're set for other 200 km.

Well ... "BIG" increase from 450 to 520 km ?
Does this worth 7k ?

Considering the real ranges that are a % of the total, the different is most probably even less ...

I know many that just consider the range as a "must have", but in reality, most people drive 60-80 km per day, on average.
And if you have to drive longer, Tesla will plan the stops at superchargers for you, with actually no need to "full tank" the battery ... just go to 80% (that takes few minutes) and you're set for other 200 km.
According to Tesla it's between 455km and 565km.

It's dual motor, which is not the same as distributed AWD with constant power ratios. When first starting out at low speeds it's effectively RWD until you get going. If you drive in snow or ice, you will notice on your first few take offs or corners. Same applies when slowing down with regeneration at lower speeds, mostly RWD braking effect.

Reactions: android04
It's dual motor, which is not the same as distributed AWD with constant power ratios. When first starting out at low speeds it's effectively RWD until you get going. If you drive in snow or ice, you will notice on your first few take offs or corners. Same applies when slowing down with regeneration at lower speeds, mostly RWD braking effect.
Have you driven both the AWD and RWD model Y ?

One thing to consider is, AWD will eat through all 4 tires, so you’ll have a higher upkeep cost on that front. Not a deal breaker but just something to consider
Not really as Tesla's AWD is predominately RWD until slip and on launches where it uses the front motor. With a LR/P model, you'll eat thru rear tires 2x to the fronts.

Not really as Tesla's AWD is predominately RWD until slip and on launches where it uses the front motor. With a LR/P model, you'll eat thru rear tires 2x to the fronts.
Good point, more accurately then, you’ll go through fronts somewhat faster than RWD but maybe not enough to be an issue. However, some tire places will hound you about replacing all 4 if your vehicle is AWD.