Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Electrify America a scam for EV's?

Is Electrify America's pricing viable to use on road trips?

• Yes, it seems reasonably priced

Votes: 15 25.4%
  • No, it's too expensive

Votes: 44 74.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is why I'm eyeing Ford's US market BEV efforts with skepticism, given their track record.
I agreed with this sentiment until the Mach-E was introduced. Actions speak louder than words. The fact that they completely rebooted the development of the Mach-E from a "compliance car" to a truly desirable EV speaks to their intent going forward. Now, we just have to see how well they execute. First, they will have to produce and sell the 50k units they have announced for the first year production, then they have to expand their battery supply so they can have a truly mass market vehicle. For now, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt. Another reason is that they have gone along with the California emissions regs and have not joined the lawsuit against CA like Toyota and GM. There's no way in hell I'm going to buy a vehicle from those two now.

From what I've seen, commercial rates don't vary that much by time of day. So, all you need to do is continuously trickle charge the batteries and dole out the energy that the fast chargers need so you minimize the demand charge. Tesla has algorithms in place already in their Powerpack controller to minimize demand charges.

The electric rates may not vary that much, but the usage does. In Gaithersburg the usage is light until around lunch, then it starts to pick up with a peak late afternoon into evening... much the same as electric usage in general. That their usage is so lumpy rather than even throughout the day is why they get demand charges.

EV charging really should be done as much as possible when electricity is most available. But that's not always possible such as on trips when you need to charge when your car gets low. So by definition Superchargers are going to be used during the day when people are using electricity with resulting high demands and charges. It appears batteries can be used to buffer this power and shift enough usage to even out the flow and the costs. So that is what should be done.

Keep in mind the USA has one of the lowest gas prices around and quite high electricity prices from what I've seen. Also road trips are so rare for most people and cost of fuel is rarely one of the top expenses. EA seems quite pricey, but how many miles are you really gonna do using their network over the life of your EV?

Reactions: David99
That’s what I’m thinking too. EA has to recoup their investment in land/lease deals, equipment, overhead and r&d, on top of the actual energy expense.

Gas stations are a must for all ICE users, they have no alternative to fuel at home. Gas stations are high volume and deliver their core product with fixed costs spread over a massive volume.

I look at it like this: I have plenty of diet cokes at home that I can consume for $0.50 a can. If I’m out and about and want one while traveling, it costs me $2.00 for that same can. I’m willing to pay for the convenience and instant gratification of having it available on the road. Same thing applies with electricity/charging from my perspective.

For someone who’s living environment doesn’t allow charging at home though (condos, apartments), I can certainly appreciate the added costs of regular EA charging would make owning an electric vehicle a more expensive proposition.

....This is why I'm eyeing Ford's US market BEV efforts with skepticism, given their track record.

I'm not

upload_2019-12-2_8-39-41.png

BMW Group, Daimler AG, Ford Motor Company and Volkswagen Group with Audi & Porsche Plan a Joint Venture for Ultra-Fast, High-Power Charging Along Major Highways in Europe

2016, this reads like a list of those losing out to Tesla Model S, BMW, Daimler, Porsche & Audi. And the need to make an elite CCS charger that the hoi polloi CCS users cannot use. VW group is there, because Porsche and Audi are VW group.

and Ford is there! Nov. 2016

who is not there, Japan Chademo (no surprise), no GM, no PSA, no FCA, no Hyundai, no Kia, no China inc. no other mass market car company

so the question in my mind from 2016 was, why is Ford spending money and hanging out with BMW, Audi etc unless they really are intending to require this technology.

Mach-E is the real deal, other companies will over time also get to the real deal. The question becomes, if Mustang Mach-E outsells classic Mustang in its second year, will it be considered the real deal.

I'm not

View attachment 483658
BMW Group, Daimler AG, Ford Motor Company and Volkswagen Group with Audi & Porsche Plan a Joint Venture for Ultra-Fast, High-Power Charging Along Major Highways in Europe

2016, this reads like a list of those losing out to Tesla Model S, BMW, Daimler, Porsche & Audi. And the need to make an elite CCS charger that the hoi polloi CCS users cannot use. VW group is there, because Porsche and Audi are VW group.

and Ford is there! Nov. 2016

who is not there, Japan Chademo (no surprise), no GM, no PSA, no FCA, no Hyundai, no Kia, no China inc. no other mass market car company

so the question in my mind from 2016 was, why is Ford spending money and hanging out with BMW, Audi etc unless they really are intending to require this technology.

Mach-E is the real deal, other companies will over time also get to the real deal. The question becomes, if Mustang Mach-E outsells classic Mustang in its second year, will it be considered the real deal.

That's what turned into Ionity. Hyundai joined several months ago.

Although EA isn't cheap, someone in a Bolt FB group has been struggling. It seems they were misled and didn't do proper research. They say they can't charge at home and ummm... their work charging situation might be tricky. They have yet to reach out to/coordinate w/folks that charge at work so for now, they can't charge at work either. They've been depending on public charging and didn't know to/how to watch charging rate yet they seem to be using DC FCs that charge by the time and not energy delivered (kWh).

They posted about some expensive DC FCs in Seattle. One of the DC FC they mentioned I found has crazy prices, (if correct) basically what EVgo used to charge: $4.95 to start a session + 20 cents/minute if this entry is right: PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You. They were charging there! Ugh! I found a few others in/around Seattle like that (e.g. PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You). AFAIK, those units won't hit 55 kW on a Bolt and likely not even 50 kW due to amperage limits.

Per Pricing and membership | Electrify America, for WA state, if they pay $4 monthly fee for Pass+, it's only 18 cents/minute for 1-75 kW rate (which applies to Bolt). At least EA has 150+ kW DC FCs so the Bolt can hit 55 kW rates on this below ~50 to 55% SoC.